Staples

[quote]Vince12413 wrote:
Here’s a good example. A bit more realistic for someone like me. I’d like to resemble him as an adult. Found that on the PI.[/quote]

I can’t breath!!!

http://www.mikementzer.com/blee.html

vince–read this. it’s mr. lee’s workout. describes his use of olympic lifts, benches etc, and how he got his bodyweight up to 165.
You’ve got some work to do.
Maybe, just maybe, if you can find the time in between hurling insults at powerlifters, you could hit the gym, huh?

[quote]Vince12413 wrote:
Here’s a good example. A bit more realistic for someone like me. I’d like to resemble him as an adult. Found that on the PI.[/quote]

Whoa. I missed that part. Hehe.

~Terumo

[quote]Terumo wrote:

And for everyone else, be nice to this guy! Who the fuck doesn’t wanna look like Zane???

~Terumo[/quote]

This guy wants to look like a Mr. Olympia but doesn’t want any size, only lifts light weights and thinks that Bruce Lee decided that he wanted to only weigh as much as he did. He is delusional. That needs to be pointed out to him and it needs to be driven into his skull until it sticks. Frank Zane didn’t lift light weights to look like that. To my knowledge, Bruce Lee trained his ass off and looked like that ONLY because of his genetics, not because he walked in the gym and avoided all heavy weights. Martial arts training or not, this guy is skinny and to be as tall as he is while trying to weigh as much as someone MUCH shorter than he is just happens to be a little stupid. I’m sorry if that hurt his or your feelings but it is the truth. I can understand the concept of weight classes, however, I do not understand people who walk around thinking that being as skinny as possible will help in their martial arts training. He might as well not lift. Why waste time in the gym like that? Light weights? For what purpose? Aerobics? He might as well use his martial arts as his only training and stay out of the way of people with real goals in the gym.

Also, Bruce Lee was 5’7" and got up to 145lbs. You are 6’2", 7 inches taller. If you add 10lbs for every inch in body height (the usual is 5-10lbs for every inch in height), that would put you at about 215lbs with around 6% body fat or less. That would mean you would have to be heavier than that just to diet down to that weight and look as intimidating as your idol. I am not sure how you plan to do that with light weights. Discuss.

analog_kid wrote:
Buddy, that is Frank Fucking Zane. He is a 2 time(or was it 3?) Mr. Olympia. You go ahead and try to look like him. Start eating everything in sight, and damn near kill yourself in the gym. Come show me your progress in about 10 years ok?

Felt this was worth reiterating.

Prof. X:

If you look above your first post, you will notice I missed a very, very important statement to which everyone else was apparently responding. I’m beginning to understand what fueled the flames.

But as an aside, I don’t think there is anything inherently wrong with wanting to achieve a Zane-esque build. Sure, having that much size with that much balance is going to be unattainable for all but the uber-elite, but there is certainly no fault in having a visual ideal for which to aim.

~Terumo

hey Professor X, maybe you should read the link I posted too. It talks about how Lee got himself up to about 165 once, but felt it impaired his quickness–it wasn’t his body type after all, so he dropped back. But he didn’t stop working for speed and power. He did Oly lifts for crying out loud.
And bench presses…oh me, oh my.

But on the rest of it, I agree. Dude’s got lots to go before he gets too carried away.

Even in the world of (mixed) martial arts, Randy Couture is about your height and weighs in at 205 for each fight, meaning in real life he weighs about 215-220. He certainly lifts weights. Go ahead, sit here and tell me the mass makes him a worse fighter.

P.S. Frank Zane’s physique does not happen by accident. He weighs at least 230 in the picture you are looking at.

[quote]Joe Weider wrote:

vince–read this. it’s mr. lee’s workout. describes his use of olympic lifts, benches etc, and how he got his bodyweight up to 165.
Maybe, just maybe, if you can find the time in between hurling insults at powerlifters, you could hit the gym, huh?[/quote]

How would you know? You have no clue what my physical shape is. And my basement is a gym.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Terumo wrote:

And for everyone else, be nice to this guy! Who the fuck doesn’t wanna look like Zane???

~Terumo

This guy wants to look like a Mr. Olympia but doesn’t want any size, only lifts light weights and thinks that Bruce Lee decided that he wanted to only weigh as much as he did. He is delusional. That needs to be pointed out to him and it needs to be driven into his skull until it sticks. Frank Zane didn’t lift light weights to look like that. To my knowledge, Bruce Lee trained his ass off and looked like that ONLY because of his genetics, not because he walked in the gym and avoided all heavy weights. Martial arts training or not, this guy is skinny and to be as tall as he is while trying to weigh as much as someone MUCH shorter than he is just happens to be a little stupid. I’m sorry if that hurt his or your feelings but it is the truth. I can understand the concept of weight classes, however, I do not understand people who walk around thinking that being as skinny as possible will help in their martial arts training. He might as well not lift. Why waste time in the gym like that? Light weights? For what purpose? Aerobics? He might as well use his martial arts as his only training and stay out of the way of people with real goals in the gym.[/quote]

To burn fat and optimize my body. I never said bruce lee got that way from lifting light weights. To my knowlage he never lifted any weights. His muscles were still developed, and he has been an inspiration to me during my entire martial arts career. That’s why I wanted to become so ripped. It worked for him, so my initial guess was that It would work for me aswell. I’m not as skinny as bruce lee is, nor do I want to be. I want to have my muscles developed and to SHOW like his did. I don’t want to be some fat ass redneck like the one who benched 1000lbs ONCE. You’re a very ignorant person and I would prefer if you stop posting things about me. I’m done with you and I hope you learn a thing or two.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Also, Bruce Lee was 5’7" and got up to 145lbs. You are 6’2", 7 inches taller. If you add 10lbs for every inch in body height (the usual is 5-10lbs for every inch in height), that would put you at about 215lbs with around 6% body fat or less. That would mean you would have to be heavier than that just to diet down to that weight and look as intimidating as your idol. I am not sure how you plan to do that with light weights. Discuss.[/quote]
OK THANKS

[quote]dond1esel wrote:
Even in the world of (mixed) martial arts, Randy Couture is about your height and weighs in at 205 for each fight, meaning in real life he weighs about 215-220. He certainly lifts weights. Go ahead, sit here and tell me the mass makes him a worse fighter.

P.S. Frank Zane’s physique does not happen by accident. He weighs at least 230 in the picture you are looking at.[/quote]

I’m 17 stupid, I still have alot of growing to do. Just because all you adults are 5’9 and done growing doesn’t mean the rest of the world is aswell. I gain about an inch of height every 4 months or so. My dad is 6’5, 250lbs. Most of my brothers are headed in the same direction.

This topic should be deleted, as I’m no longer getting helped, just insulted for having an idol…

Great link. If you read ALL of it, some of you will relize that size isn’t everything.

This post has become the mother of hijacks. Vince, if you want to make any more inquiries, I highly suggest starting a new thread, sans any Frank Zane or Bruce Lee references. The original question was pretty interesting (I guess I just have a soft spot for martial arts questions), but this has gotten way off track and degraded quickly.

Late.

~Terumo

[quote]Vince12413 wrote:
dond1esel wrote:

P.S. Frank Zane’s physique does not happen by accident. He weighs at least 230 in the picture you are looking at.

I’m 17 stupid, I still have alot of growing to do. Just because all you adults are 5’9 and done growing doesn’t mean the rest of the world is aswell. I gain about an inch of height every 4 months or so. My dad is 6’5, 250lbs. Most of my brothers are headed in the same direction.

This topic should be deleted, as I’m no longer getting helped, just insulted for having an idol…[/quote]

haha stupid, Weightlifting stimulates growth by releasing growth hormones. No one told you to go break your back trying to lift 2000lbs. I wish I had started lifting earlier as I am positive I would have grown taller than I am now.

And you post a pic of a world class bodybuilder and say you want to look like that without gaining significant size? Trust me, you wont EVER look like that unless you have some seriously good genetics OR you use steroids.

And Bruce Lee’s methods of training is now considered almost obsolete. So I dont understand why you want to go that way when there are better ways to get the results you want. One other thing, Bruce Lee used TONs of free weight exercises in his training.

[quote]Vince12413 wrote:
Professor X wrote:
Terumo wrote:

~Terumo

This guy wants to look like a Mr. Olympia but doesn’t want any size, only lifts light weights and thinks that Bruce Lee decided that he wanted to only weigh as much as he did. He is delusional. That needs to be pointed out to him and it needs to be driven into his skull until it sticks. Frank Zane didn’t lift light weights to look like that. To my knowledge, Bruce Lee trained his ass off and looked like that ONLY because of his genetics, not because he walked in the gym and avoided all heavy weights. Martial arts training or not, this guy is skinny and to be as tall as he is while trying to weigh as much as someone MUCH shorter than he is just happens to be a little stupid. I’m sorry if that hurt his or your feelings but it is the truth. I can understand the concept of weight classes, however, I do not understand people who walk around thinking that being as skinny as possible will help in their martial arts training. He might as well not lift. Why waste time in the gym like that? Light weights? For what purpose? Aerobics? He might as well use his martial arts as his only training and stay out of the way of people with real goals in the gym.

To burn fat and optimize my body. I never said bruce lee got that way from lifting light weights. To my knowlage he never lifted any weights. His muscles were still developed, and he has been an inspiration to me during my entire martial arts career. That’s why I wanted to become so ripped. It worked for him, so my initial guess was that It would work for me aswell. I’m not as skinny as bruce lee is, nor do I want to be. I want to have my muscles developed and to SHOW like his did. I don’t want to be some fat ass redneck like the one who benched 1000lbs ONCE. You’re a very ignorant person and I would prefer if you stop posting things about me. I’m done with you and I hope you learn a thing or two.[/quote]

This is ridiculous. You have no clue what you’re doing in regards to gaining muscle, nor do you have any idea the body composition needed to achieve the look you are going after.

Worst of all, you insult the more knowledgeable people here and refuse to accept the fact you’re going about things the wrong way.

Bruce Lee had a decent amount of muscle mass and insanely low bodyfat percentage. There ya go.

Frank Zane had a shitload of muscle mass, and insanely low bodyfat percentage, seeing as how it was the Mr. Fucking-Olympia contest.

“He’s not THAT big.”

You need to accept the advice from the people who, in my opinion, are being too kind by giving it to you.

[quote]Vince12413 wrote:
dond1esel wrote:

This topic should be deleted, as I’m no longer getting helped, just insulted for having an idol…[/quote]

You also still have A LOT of spelling to learn. Maybe by the time you reach my ripe old age of 19 you’ll have a good grasp on these things.

Sorry, I couldn’t resist.

Anyway, you got me, I’m stupid. I’m technically not done growing either; I hope to REACH 5-9 one day. ha-HAH!

So, you should not weigh the same as The Natural because you will be taller than him. Another prominent MMA professional, BOB SAPP, has a freak nasty 355 lbs stacked on to your future height of 6-5. I wouldn’t put him higher than 12% BF.

Oh, and your father and brothers are not refuting the idea that it would suit you to gain some weight.

[quote]Vince12413 wrote:
Joe Weider wrote:

Maybe, just maybe, if you can find the time in between hurling insults at powerlifters, you could hit the gym, huh?

How would you know? You have no clue what my physical shape is. And my basement is a gym.
[/quote]

just basing it on what you listed as your stats. Listen to X. To get the same ratio as Lee you need to be bigger. That means lifting heavier weights. Sets of 3 to 5 reps, explosively.
When you’re not putting down powerlifters, that is.

And when you get to where you weigh around 220 or so, then you can tell the rest of us we don’t know what we’re talking about.

Be careful dude, you’re pissing off lots of the people you’re asking for advice. Just a word to the wise.

I don’t think I’d be calling Professor X ignorant. He’s probably built more muscle on his body than you weigh. In additon to being one of our nations finest (Army) and a physician.
And on the day that you can bench a grand…hell, on the day that you can even roll a grand around on the floor…then maybe you can talk about it.
But I would like to see you cop this attitude to big Gene’s face, 'specially if he was hungry at the time.
And, read the damn article I went and found for you to try and fucking help you. Bruce Lee lifted weights. Power cleans, benches, good mornings…all the basics.