Staple Supplements for Size

Eh, I’ve used BCAAs and Leucine a few times in the past and never noticed a difference in recovery. This when I first started lifting. I was, however, eating 4-4.5k kcal/day.
Whey protein I believe is hands down the most important. If you have whey, you can build a meal from it with just about anything you can fit in a blender.
After that, I would go with dextrose powder. Super cheap in bulk. Good for pre-workout. I have noticed slight decreases in strength and ability to handle high volume when I’ve forgotten to use it.

[quote]VTTrainer wrote:

[quote]BulletproofTiger wrote:
Perhaps I went a little too analytical in my previous suggestion. Default to VTTrainer’s suggestion. [quote]VTTrainer wrote:
To be honest, milk has been a good friend of mine for gaining size(broke college student here). I would call it a lower quality supp, but it’s dirt cheap and fills the void if there is one or simply makes sure you are in caloric excess. I think this has helped more than anything else. Outside of milk, assuming you can’t have it, a blend of whey and dextrose (and oil if you like) is surely the runner up. Dextrose is pretty cheap, too, and goes straight to work spiking insulin and filling up the muscles before/during/after a working. [/quote]

[/quote]

BPT- I was just trying to keep it simple, as I use to be a supplement whore in the past. I did manage to get very lean using some of those things. BCAAs surely helped me stay lean and keep strength. From my experience in bulking, which I have to say is limited as I’m only 5’9" at 185-190, calorie surplus and protein intake has been the most important part. I surely went above 10%bf, with a bod pod measurement of 19%, but the weight barrier was my goal of beating.

OP- This may not be try at all, but outside of things like healthier gainer shakes and calories (plus health supps like Vit. C, fish oil, herbs, etc), I tend to think of supplements helping th most when trying to lean out. If you dont have a lot of cash to blow, just eat good food, and if you don’t have any issues with money I personally would get some really great food, all depends on your goals though. My biggest piece of advise is keep your appetite up, because if you lose it the bulking will suck, more. good luck[/quote]

Hey. Thanks all for the info. I’m actually in a pretty good spot right now. My work pays for my food so I just get whatever I put in on order. So quantity is not a problem. Quality is pretty good too. Great food - might be pushing the generosity a bit though… But chicken breast and lean meats are in abundance.

This has put me in a spot where my supplement budget has gone up. I’ve always used and whey protein and always will. Fish oil, vit c and creatine have been a part of my daily intake for a long time. I haven’t really gone outside those for a few years so I was wondering if there is anyting worth throwing into the mix.

[quote]The3Commandments wrote:

and lots of it.[/quote]

Jesus Christ…did I really have to just wade through a half page of this thread before someone came right out and spoke the obvious?

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

[quote]The3Commandments wrote:

and lots of it.[/quote]

Jesus Christ…did I really have to just wade through a half page of this thread before someone came right out and spoke the obvious?[/quote]

Omg, I laughed so much my sides almost fucking split.

Dont listen to these douchebags, ja3ked and creatinez is all you need.

Screw whey protein.

1. Multivitamin
  2. Fish Oil
  3. Vitamin D
  4. (Huma)n(Pro)tein

[quote]yeeyek8 wrote:

[quote]hockechamp14 wrote:

[quote]yeeyek8 wrote:
Yes, but if you’re bulking and getting adequate protein shouldn’t you be getting enough BCAA’s from your protein sources? Check out this article:

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/bcaa.htm[/quote]

Why are you arguing this when you’ve clearly never tried it before. More BCAA’s peri-workout will clearly reduce soreness.[/quote]

How have I clearly not tried BCAA’s before? I actually have tried them and own some BCAA supps… How is it clear that it will reduce soreness though? I’m not trying to start a personal arguement with you, I’m just curious.[/quote]

eh you said you’d “try them” on your next bulking cycle insinuating that you haven’t used them before.

Also, the fact that you referenced an article made it seem like you didn’t have first hand experience.

As for soreness, the fact that poliquin says he has his clients take obscene amounts of them during training says something. I feel like 20 grams in my training drink gets the job done on most days though.