T Nation

Standing vs. Supported Exercises

It occurred to me last night that I don’t like exercises that have you seated or lying down, to include the bench press. All of my favorites are standing: squats, dead lifts, good mornings, push presses, barbell rows, cleans, snatches, etc. Seems these days no one thinks they’re working out if they’re not hooked up to some damn machine.

It reminds me of an old Dr. Squat article called “Stand and Deliver” which was about the merits of having to stand to perform Oly lifts, if I’m not mistaken.

I think Shug’s mentioned a while back how he was thinking about the value of loading the spine, as in good mornings, dead lifts, squats and the like.

Anybody else think this way? Anybody have any more good Ol’ Time standing exercises?

Actually I am pretty much the same. Except for pullups being a staple and dips, I mostly do standing exercises as well. How about db snatch, high pulls, side presses, bent presses, overhead squat, and all the great shoulder variations. I too feel almost lazy if I am not working out standing up or moving through space. Probably benches and skull crushers are the only exercises I do on a bench.

I can’t remember the last time I was lifting without being on my feet, chinning, or dipping. Oh yeah, shoulder-horn work. Oh well.

“The beauty of the standing press is that you must keep the entire body hard, tight and controlled as you press the weight. You don’t simply flop down on a bench, but rather, you BECOME the bench. This works the heck out of the all important stabilizers throughout the upper and lower back, the sides, and the waist.”

Brooks D. Kubik