Standing Overhead Press PR

I had a PR of 5 reps with 225 today. As far as strength goes I felt it was solid. Just out of curiosity what are you the T-Nation members putting up.

was it a strict military or push press? if the latter, was it off the rack or did you clean it first? either way, that’s impressive. I see so few in the gym these days doing any kind of overhead work, especially heavy.

anyway, my numbers suck compared to yours. I can do a strict military for about 150#, a push press off the rack at about 170#, and I’ve hit a clean and push press PR at 200#. Hoping to move these numbers up rather quickly, especially the non-strict ones.

I recently started on a Westside for skinny bastards type set-up w/ the max-effort upper body day centered around the push press and clean and press.

Thanks man it was a strict press no legs from the ladder. Good job on your lifts. You should see an increase in all three of those lifts by doing the westside plan, its a good one. I find a lot of joy in heavy overhead lifting. Im concious at the end of the workout to do direct shoulder work and rotation to keep everything in line.

my best prior to knee surgery was 100kgs (220lbs) strict military, 132.5kgs for Push Press.

are there any other good ways to train for over head presses aside from just doing it.

my best are:

(strict) standing military press - 120 kg.

push press - 130 kg.

[quote]DS 007 wrote:
my best are:

push press - 130 kg.

[/quote]

I hate it when you people use Kg. Shit is annoying.

Personal best: 225lbs push press, walked out from the squat rack

Currently: Clean and press 185lbs.

The rest of the world uses the metric system, get used to it:P

[quote]WolBarret wrote:
DS 007 wrote:
my best are:

push press - 130 kg.

Personal best: 225lbs push press, walked out from the squat rack

Currently: Clean and press 185lbs.[/quote]

well…i’m an o-lifter and the lifts are measured in kilos, chief. it’s not too tough once you get the hang of it. 'course if my best press was only 85 kg. i’d probably list it in pounds too. just sounds bigger, right?

You beastly, strong mofos.

I’m only at 155 lbs… :(.

Tips for increasing?

Push press 245
standing OH press 200x1 or 185 3x3
then I tore my shoulder and had surgery
right now 1lb db :frowning:

[quote]DS 007 wrote:
my best are:

push press - 130 kg.

[/quote]

You look wayyy cooler when lifting kilos, get into it man!

[quote]Bigpull wrote:
Push press 245
right now 1lb db :([/quote]

Those are big numbers. Did you injure your shoulder while doing the OH press?

Ha thats pretty funny

For push? Make sure you can rack the bar in a finished clean position. If you can’t, work on wrist flexibility.

Push PR = 285, which pales in comparison to my boy, Rob Orlando. Behold:

(Don’t bother commenting on the fact that they’re slight jerks. Just enjoy.)

[quote]Bigpull wrote:
Push press 245
right now 1lb db :([/quote]

You’ll get back up there. Shit your 600 pull is impressive were are you at now with your rehab?

Only reason I’m responding(I really have begun to hate forums) is maybe I could help someone out. My OH strict press best is 375 with a 405 pushpress done with a minute bit of leg drive. Both walked out from a squat rack.

What worked for me, in no real order -

a. Used bands to train dynamically

b. CW’s supra-maximal holds, which by the way I did using the top end of a smith machine because my gym didn’t have a power rack. I know, I know…

c.Trained it first during the week

d.Isometric training at 3 different angles against the pins of the squat rack also helped a great deal. 3 sets of 5 seconds each with 15 seconds rest at 3 positions.

Have a few other ideas but I might get bashed for them - like I use old western linear periodization and prefer bi-sexual women etcetera

Amir

[quote]WolBarret wrote:

[/quote]

You could use your brain and just multiply the number by 2.2.
What i think is a crack up is how you Americans use lbs for your power lifts and then change to metric for your olympic lifts

[quote]jm89074 wrote:

I can do a strict military for about 150#, a push press off the rack at about 170#, and I’ve hit a clean and push press PR at 200#.[/quote]

What? How do you do press more with a clean than out of the rack?

Push presses are probably the only core upperbody lift i do nowadays. 240 @ 160 is the best mark