T Nation

Standing Out in a Crowd

Everyone here wants to gain as much muscle as possible. But what should the motivation be for doing that? People always work better when they have direction and purpose.

So, should the goal be to stand out in a crowd? I was wondering about this because I like to do things for myself. I don’t live through the eyes of others and it seems to me that comparing oneself to strangers in a crowd seems kind of empty. I’d much rather look at my stats and see 10 lbs gained since last year and an inch off the waist, than seeking approval from Wal-Mart shoppers.

What do you guys think?

why not both?

as I’m doing this, I’m moving towards more doing it for myself than anyone, but I’d be lying if I said I didn’t want people to look while I walk down the beach

Do it for you! Create a strong body on the inside as well as the outside. Muscle with no compassion is useless…ie meathead

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
why not both?

as I’m doing this, I’m moving towards more doing it for myself than anyone, but I’d be lying if I said I didn’t want people to look while I walk down the beach[/quote]

I agree. I do this for myself, but if it makes other people notice, then that’s cool too. Sometimes, the best way to evaluate your progress is the comments you get from others.

Yeah, I can see it both ways. When I go to the gym I want to be able to beat my last PR. I want to face that challenge.

Recently, people have been noticing that I’m getting bigger and frankly I love hearing it.

I do want to stick out from the fat and lazy slobs out there. Nothing wrong with that in my opinion. Especially in the lazy, undisciplined society we live in…look at the obesity rates! By getting fit and built I’m saying to those people that I won’t give in to their lifestyle and I’m willing to take the road less traveled to attain a nice physique.

Another “both” here.

I look in the mirror and see a muscular guy trapped in an average body (although lately it’s catching up).

But I ALSO love the attention. Can’t wait for my first female bicep grab…cause then I’m going straight for her ass.

I’m 6’4" so I stand out (and over) a crowd whether I want to or not. This is bragless considering I used to weigh 180. Yikes… I now fluctuate around 200 and look much better I must say… :slight_smile:

But yea I do it for health, self confidence and of course, the hunnies.

I look at this stuff in a weird way…

if everyone was able to look at me and given a survey with two questions:

1. Is this kid weak?
  2. Is this kid strong?

I want no more than 5% of the participants to answer “yes” to question 1, and I want at least 40 or 50% of the participants to answer "yes’ to question 2.

When I started, I’d imagine 90% or higher would say “yes” to question 1 and 0% or so would say “yes” to question 2.

Now, I’d imagine only 10% would say “yes” to question 1 and probably 10-15% would say “yes” to question 2…

dan

I agree with Nate and Jehovas. I do do it for my own benefit, but I also do it so that if I walk into a room, people can easily identify who the alpha male is, who busts their ass to look great, and who they don’t want to fuck with.

Say what you want about bodybuilders being better fighters or not, but most ‘average’ guys would be lying if they saw a 250-lb behemoth standing in a room, and that was the first person they sought to stir trouble with.

Good point!

I work in my home studio, and almost never go out. My social life is time spent with my wife and son. So obviously I lift to be what I want to be… for myself.

Now compare that to when I was a teen: I wanted everyone to see my muscles, and I wore a tank top often. lol

I care very little for what anyone else thinks, who cares about the “crowd”? I still want to be huge however.

I do this mostly for my health. I want to get big, I want to be healthy and fit. And I want to pass down these value to my kids.

But, being the lead singer for a grunge metal band, I want to look the part, you know? When you envision some guy growling/screaming on stage to some heavy music, you don’t really picture my avatar, do you?

i do it to look good. i used to be brainwashed into thinking it was so bad to lift just to look good and then i saw something on here that said, fuck it training to look good is harder than anything else. you know i dont play a sport, even though i get asked daily if i play football and i dont plan on competing whether it be powerlifting, strongman, or a BB show…well the last one it depends how big it get really.

i stand out of a crowd regardless, i could post up pictures of the clothes i worse yesterday and youd see what i mean.

besides, whats wrong with standing out? i think its a good thing, i like to be original, i like taking it to that next level.

[quote]darwin420 wrote:
But, being the lead singer for a grunge metal band, I want to look the part, you know? When you envision some guy growling/screaming on stage to some heavy music, you don’t really picture my avatar, do you?[/quote]

I completely agree with that, Dar.
I think a metal frontman should look like he could kick anyone’s ass… unlike those wussy 80’s hair-bands.

I always thought Chris Cornell, in spite of not being a lifter, had a reasonably manly physique in his Soundgarden days.

Rollins, Danzig… these guys definitely looked the part.

I lift for myself. Not overly concerned what others think.

nobody lifts cause its fun? i must be weird ot something.

[quote]Scrotus wrote:
nobody lifts cause its fun? i must be weird ot something.[/quote]

Of course there is enjoyment in it, but the frequent posters probably lift for more than just a pass time. The bigger guys got that way because they train even when it isn’t fun. There are some negative things that come with it, and I’m sure a lot of us somewhere have had to make some sacrifice along the way to get in training sessions, or stay on their diet.

The real enjoyment is like many have said, being huge. Personally I want to be the guy everyone looks at and things “oh damn” I want to be strong as hell and look that way, not just for others but myself aswell. Its a nice feeling to know that if a fight broke out, or zombies poped out of the ceiling that I would be least likely to go down.

The reward is the main reason I lift, but I wouldn’t be doing it if I hated the activity.

To me it’s reaching my full potential, gaining confidence while staying humble, looking my best, being strong comes in handy, protecting myself and my loved ones and it’s a rush!

• Adam

I think most young guys START lifting to get some sort of recogition, whether from your buddies, or from chicks, but the mentality does eventually change.

How many young guys HAVE TO train in tank tops? (or wife beaters, or t shirts that are a few sizes too small) How many of the really big, and obviously experienced guys walk around like that? They’ve gotten over it. Sure, I’ll wear a sleeveless shirt on days I’m training arms, but that’s about it. And I’d never want to be caught walking around every day in a tiny shirt that screams ‘I need attention’, or a tank top showing off how hyooge I am. If anything, I don’t like the attention, simply because so many ‘newer’ trainers (I been banging away for 15 years now) tend to define themselves by their physiques. While that may be cool for some, it’s just not me (not anymore -lol)

S