T Nation

Standing or Seated Shoulder Press Question

So im doing a beginner strength oriented program to get my lifts up before moving on to something more bodybuilding oriented. Anyway the original program calls for standing shoulder presses but I feel much more comfortable with my form and in control when doing seated. Im also not going to be playing any competitive sports so perormance isn’t really my top priority.

Anyway I was wondering if you guys think it is more beneficial for a novice lifter to be doing standing presses as opposed to seated presses due to the increase in stabilizer muscles being used, or should i just start off with seated presses since its probably what im going to be using in the long run. Thanks and sorry if this is a stupid question.

I think the bodybuilding answer to this would be to do whatever variation that allows you to focus on your shoulder and/or triceps better. There are other ways to stimulate your stabilizer muscles should you wish to work them.

[quote]Lisztening wrote:
I think the bodybuilding answer to this would be to do whatever variation that allows you to focus on your shoulder and/or triceps better. There are other ways to stimulate your stabilizer muscles should you wish to work them.[/quote]

That would definatley be the seated press. During the standing press I feel I am focusing more on maintaining form, balance, and bar path instead of actually lifting the weight. These are the only lifts im currently doing:

squats
deadlifts
bench press
barbell rows
chinups
dips
shoulder press

Goal is to build a solid strength base and add some size to my frame

just don’t make the seated press a high incline…it defeats the purpose. i just wrote about this in a thread right above yours. i feel that standing overhead press will force you to use more of the actual delt to do the pressing. it may feel awkward right now but over time you will get better at it. but if you want to do them seated, make sure your ass doesn’t creep to the edge of the bench and have such an arch that you could hide a small child between your lower back and the pad. i speak from experience. i used to be that guy.

If your goal is to just build the delt, if you do do it seated, remember not to use any leg drive

I learned this the hard way. I used the heavy seated DB press as an assistance to my strict press and to just bring up my delts… I got to some decent weights until I realized not only were my delts not getting bigger, but it was having no transfer to my strict press. Why? Because I was using a huge ammount of leg drive

I switched to standing DB press for this reason

do them standing and be stronger for it

do both…

[quote]maraudermeat wrote:
just don’t make the seated press a high incline…it defeats the purpose. i just wrote about this in a thread right above yours. i feel that standing overhead press will force you to use more of the actual delt to do the pressing. it may feel awkward right now but over time you will get better at it. but if you want to do them seated, make sure your ass doesn’t creep to the edge of the bench and have such an arch that you could hide a small child between your lower back and the pad. i speak from experience. i used to be that guy. [/quote]

Yea I used to do that when i was lifting and didn’t know what i was doing a few years ago. I remember reading in a post here that going from standing to seated press is easy but going from seated to standing will be tough as in you wont be lifting the same weight, so i guess i will try to stick with standing press for now. do you think using a staggered stance will help with my balance issue? Or should i just keep my feet parallel to one another? Im not using leg drive fyi.

keep your entire body tense below the ribcage, really squeeze the glutes

[quote]bignate wrote:
do both…[/quote]
Damn, beat me to it.
Dick.
:smiley:

[quote]iVoodoo wrote:

[quote]bignate wrote:
do both…[/quote]
Damn, beat me to it.
Dick.
:D[/quote]

you could say i know whats up son. heh.

[quote]bignate wrote:
do both…[/quote]

Right now i just want to stick to one and try to make consistent pogress with it. In the future i will definatley do both. It looks like im sticking to standing press because my strength gains should translate over to the seated press very well.

You can rotate the exercises. One week do standing overhead the other week do seated overhead. There will be a synergistic effect were one lift will help the other go up and so on.

or if you just wanna pick one I recommend you pick Standing OVHP.

I like going through a whole overhead press progression.

So, Seated OVHP->Standing OVHP->Push Press.
Sometimes I’ll add Clean and Press in there too, because it’s awesome.
I usually try and hit three top-end sets in each movement.

Been doing it for, idk, a month?
Best pressing gains I’ve ever experienced.

…I agree though, Standing Overhead is probably the king of the bunch.
If you have to just do one.

Already said, but worth repeating:

do both. reap benefits. get hyooge.