Standing Office Setup (No Chair)

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:
Have you ever tried just standing for long periods of time? You get tired rather quickly, your knees, feet, and ankles will get sore. You’ll want to sit rather quickly.

IMO, its not worth it.[/quote]

I know standing still can be tough. When I was younger and worked night shift stocking shelves, I sure noticed that my legs were sore - though it wasn’t standing still you wouldn’t sit unless on break.

However, it’s like anything else, the legs can get used to it.

I like the idea of frequently “walking away” from the computer… or pacing, which could be tougher in an office environment.

[quote]Loose Tool wrote:
wressler125 wrote:
Most people can’t do work if their upper torso isn’t upright, so this is interesting, but not functional.

“Most people”? You have a citation for that?

If “most people” work bolt upright, it’s likely the result of constant harping by their mother and/or the corporate ergonomic officer. On the otherhand, every office chair that I’ve used in the past twenty years has a setting that allows the back to recline to about 135 degrees.

Funny thing is, I find myself leaning back and working all the time. Very comfortable, and productive.

[/quote]

Then your upper body is probably upright and your shoulders slumped forward. I don’t need a citation. If your body is at 45 degrees to the ground, and your desk is at 180, then either your shoulders are coming forward or you are slouching.

Theres a differnce between “bolt upright” and sitting in a good position at your desk.

I switch between standing, sitting upright on a barstool or in my regular chair which reclines. Sometimes I’ll stick with one or the other for a couple weeks at a time 'til I get tired of it.

I think moving positions a lot is the most beneficial.

[quote]wressler125 wrote:
Then your upper body is probably upright and your shoulders slumped forward.
[/quote]

Nope and nope.

[quote]Loose Tool wrote:
wressler125 wrote:
Then your upper body is probably upright and your shoulders slumped forward.

Nope and nope.

[/quote]

But then you have to have your arms in front of you while working, and try reading material on a desk in front of you in that position. You would have to crease your neck at at least a 45 degree angle.

A single anectdotal case does not make evidence. When I said most, I was refering to the majority of the population. Just because you don’t fit into this, doesn’t mean many other people don’t.