T Nation

Standing for 10 Hours $%#@ing Sucks

Cliff notes: Stood for 10 1/2 hours at work (no breaks)
Feet fucking hurt like hell… any ideas to make it feel a bit better?

So I just started a new job as a dishwasher at a restaurant usually I only work one or two days a week. When I work on Fridays it is always busy. Last night was so busy the boss was cooking…while screaming at everyone (but me haha). The waitresses were being lazy bitches ect…all making my job much harder…they make huge messes and leave bus pans of dishes all over the place where I cant see them etc. So Anyway eventually I got so backed up with dishes playing hide and seek…

I ended up working for 10 1/2 hours straight even with my friend’s (another dish washer) help at the end. We dont exactly have a lunch break…or even a 5 minute break…they like to lay of people so I was already doing a two person job then it was extremely busy. so I did nothing but stand/run for 10 1/2 hours. My feet usually start to hurt after 6 hours… a bit uncomfortable but nothing I cant ignore… 8 hours…hurt alot… 10 hours…I imagine its like walking on two broken ankles.

I got home and made it to bed…I didnt get home till 2am >.>. When I woke up this morning… it took several tries just to stand up then when I finally got up I had to sit back down because it hurt to much to walk. I luckily had a baseball near by so I tried massaging the bottom of my feet with it for a few minutes and managed to stand and get a little momentum going before it hurt to much to move.

So does anyone have advice on what I could do now? Ive been sitting for the past 4 hours and am still in a lot of pain.

Foam rolling on legs/back would probably help.

Also, ibuprofen (Alleve or Advil)

As a prevantative, get a pair of knee-high compression stockings, 20-30mmHg compression. You’ll need a doctor’s Rx in most places. Anybody standing for prolonged periods should get a pair of these. The difference is night and day.

Standing still hurts worse than anything. I always pace helps me (obviously difficult when your standing at a station). Could also get an impact mat, grocery stores have them for their tills.

Also some padded, off-the-shelf orthotics should help

I’m working at the Olympics/Paralympics right now and am doing a lot of standing. Foot pain is kind of inevitable when standing for long periods of time. Good footwear is helpful with keeping your feet pain-free. You can also get orthotics or at least some good insoles for your shoes. I don’t know why this works, but for me streatching my calves while standing seems to help ease foot pain. Also if you can walk as much as possible rather than simply standing in one place your feet will be more comfortable. Hope this helps a bit.

I have a job where I stand on my feet for hours like that at a time. You will get use to it, guaranteed.

Vibram 5 Fingers
and a tennis ball foot massage (just roll your foot over the ball every few hours or so. Or at the end of the day

Personally I like wearing boots and some solid camping socks, I like timberland’s pro series. Though the price will probably shun you away from those since you aren’t working much.

Get some solid socks though, it helps TONS, try an army navy store, I worked in a warehouse for 10-12 hours a night on solid cement, boots helped a lot, but I think socks did the most for me. Also, anti-inflammatorys if they do anything for you.

Thanks alot guys. Luckily I wont be working any more friday nights. My friend who helped was temporarily a cook (while officially training another) and he will be taking over that night… hes been doing it for two years so hes much faster than me and hes use to it.

Luckily I’ll be getting replacement hours on different days when it is slower…theres no friday morning dishwasher so I would walk in at 3pm to a huge pile…clear it then get slammed all night then a huge pile from the kitchen clean up at 10pm. After last night I considered quitting because its so painful…I mean seriously…

Ive shoveled Tons (the measuring unit tons) of soaking wet roofing tiles into wheel barrels and dumped them for 8 hours straight and it didnt hurt nearly as much as my feet do now and I was paid twice as much -.-…and everyone else being a bigger bitch than me doesnt help either lol.

I recommend a different job. What do you make like 9 bucks an hour? I mean you can find something much better for the same pay. (Clothing retail, video game store, gym etc). Plus you are guaranteed (by law) a break working over 5 hours.

[quote]SickAbs wrote:
I recommend a different job. What do you make like 9 bucks an hour? I mean you can find something much better for the same pay. (Clothing retail, video game store, gym etc). Plus you are guaranteed (by law) a break working over 5 hours.[/quote]

This is actually my first job. I’m 19…but Ive been trying to get a job for the last two years. Ive done some odd job stuff off and on… some was pretty nice pay like cleaning out foreclosed houses…HIGH pay but nothing lasted long because there wasnt much work.

My friend has been working there for the last two years because he cant find anything else. We only make $8 an hour. Ive tried a lot of places several times… every fast food place etc but nothing. Economy sucks. If I could I would gladly work at a cash register…

[quote]Petermus wrote:

[quote]SickAbs wrote:
I recommend a different job. What do you make like 9 bucks an hour? I mean you can find something much better for the same pay. (Clothing retail, video game store, gym etc). Plus you are guaranteed (by law) a break working over 5 hours.[/quote]

This is actually my first job. I’m 19…but Ive been trying to get a job for the last two years. Ive done some odd job stuff off and on… some was pretty nice pay like cleaning out foreclosed houses…HIGH pay but nothing lasted long because there wasnt much work.

My friend has been working there for the last two years because he cant find anything else. We only make $8 an hour. Ive tried a lot of places several times… every fast food place etc but nothing. Economy sucks. If I could I would gladly work at a cash register…[/quote]

Cash register = more standing (I speak from experience)

But at least they normally have those cushioned mats, plus most places will actually give you a break or two.

Good luck!

In addition to what was said above, see if there isn’t something near the sink you could prop one foot on. Like a big can from the kitchen, or a small stool. Stand for awhile with one foot propped up, then switch every so often. Don’t worry about timing it to be even, your body will work that out for you. That helps me when I have to stand up for long periods of time.

Also, when you get home at the end of your shift, lay down with your feet propped up for a while, like 20-30 minutes. Prop them up kinda high, since you are looking for fluid redistribution. By standing still for that long, blood and other fluids are pooling in your lower legs, causing the swelling and pain. Propping them up for awhile and then rolling them on a tennis ball after that should help. The important thing is to do that before going to bed(or as soon as possible if you won’t be working nights). You could even ice them if you wanted to try that.

[quote]Petermus wrote:
Cliff notes: Stood for 10 1/2 hours at work (no breaks)
Feet fucking hurt like hell… any ideas to make it feel a bit better?

So does anyone have advice on what I could do now? Ive been sitting for the past 4 hours and am still in a lot of pain.[/quote]

Good shoes (Shoes For Crews are cheap, slip-proof and pretty comfortable) and some thick socks and you should have the rubber mats in front of the dish area. If you’re wearing sneakers, forget it.

I’m in the restaurant biz and I also got home at 2AM and some of our employees were standing for 15+ hours and I also help the 2 dishwashers we have. Could be worse. The restaurant could be closing.

thanks for the help guys. I was considering some shoes for crews shoes since they are pretty cheap and all the other advantages. Ill definitely try the stuff you guys suggested.

Jump up and down a couple times so it knocks the sand out of your vagina.

maybe some butt-ugly crocs with socks and an epsom salt soak after work making sure to keep the feet elevated for a few hours.

I’m working in a kitchen at moment as well, and I’m on my feet 10-12 hours at a stretch. You do get used to it pretty rapidly. Thick socks and blundstones are working for me currently.

[quote]trevor16 wrote:
I’m working at the Olympics/Paralympics right now and am doing a lot of standing. Foot pain is kind of inevitable when standing for long periods of time. Good footwear is helpful with keeping your feet pain-free. You can also get orthotics or at least some good insoles for your shoes. I don’t know why this works, but for me streatching my calves while standing seems to help ease foot pain. Also if you can walk as much as possible rather than simply standing in one place your feet will be more comfortable. Hope this helps a bit. [/quote]

I could also imagine seeing how the paralympians manage would also lessen pain from standing all day.