T Nation

Standing Dead Guy: Creepy or Not?

SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico �?? A Puerto Rican man has been granted his wish to remain standing �?? even in death. A funeral home used a special embalming treatment to keep the corpse of 24-year-old Angel Pantoja Medina standing upright for his three-day wake.

Dressed in a Yankees baseball cap and sunglasses, Pantoja was mourned by relatives while propped upright in his mother’s living room.

His brother Carlos told the El Nuevo Dia newspaper the victim had long said he wanted to be upright for his own wake: “He wanted to be happy, standing.”

The owner of the Marin Funeral Home, Damaris Marin, told The Associated Press the mother asked him to fulfill her dead son’s last wish.

Pantoja was found dead Friday underneath a bridge in San Juan and buried Monday. Police are investigating.

Check out the pictures:

http://news.yahoo.com/nphotos/Man-kept-upright-wake/ss/events/hl/081908pantojamedina;_ylt=Asv2Wz2zczniD4b8SnoOBC4uQE4F#photoViewer=/080819/481/257da5304965450b95b97d89f9901971

WTF?

It is no more strange than burning a body to a crisp and then throwing the ashes over the railing of a cruise ship.

In fact, it isn’t much more strange than having a group of people cry and throw fits at a ceremony when the person they are crying over is dead, passed over, made the transition and no doubt not very depressed about their own death at that moment.

The living make death a theatrical affair because we are afraid of it and we miss the people we lost. It actually makes no truly logical sense at all…so if a man wants his dead body standing upright so family can cry to his face…so be it.

Not

Awesome. Seriously.

It’s what the guy wants.

I have a friend who wants to be put in a lawn chair and have Jimmy Buffet playing as he is wearing a Hawaiian shirt and sunglasses for his funeral. I have another friend who wants Hotel California played as his best friend walks to the open coffin and pushes down upon his nose until it breaks (No, I’m not joking).

Once you have passed on, your body is an empty vessel. Who gives a damn what happens to it.

Again, I think the subject of this post is frickin awesome. I certainly do not want people crying and throwing a fit at my own funeral. I hope they are cracking a beer and recollecting on what a fun, crazy, helpful and generous guy I was.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
It is no more strange than burning a body to a crisp and then throwing the ashes over the railing of a cruise ship.[/quote]

You’re confusing things a little, there’s religious reasons for cremation. Propping up a dead person because of his “previously expressed wishes” (wtf, at 24?) has nothing to do with religious beliefs. So where do you draw the line, what is acceptable and what not? What if the next dead guy wants to be taken to Paris or to a Giants game or to Hawaii or any other crazy request? Do you grant “his last wish”?

Again, different things. People crying at a wake or during funerals ARE expected to do so, at least in my opinion. They cry because of their loss, not to bring the dead back.

See my take on it above. It’s actually quite logical. When you lose something very, very dear to you AND irreplaceable it’s natural to mourn. People are different, therefore mourn in different ways.

[quote]catone wrote:

You’re confusing things a little[/quote]

Not likely.

Everyone who gets cremated does not do it for religious reasons. There are people who do it because they can’t afford funeral services or coffins…which goes back to what I stated.

[quote]
Propping up a dead person because of his “previously expressed wishes” (wtf, at 24?) has nothing to do with religious beliefs. So where do you draw the line, what is acceptable and what not? What if the next dead guy wants to be taken to Paris or to a Giants game or to Hawaii or any other crazy request? Do you grant “his last wish”?[/quote]

Why not? As far as him being 24, I knew a lot of guys growing up who didn’t expect to make it to 18. When you grow up around gangs, that is how you think.

[quote]
Again, different things. People crying at a wake or during funerals ARE expected to do so, at least in my opinion. They cry because of their loss, not to bring the dead back.[/quote]

They are only expected to do so because of our own culture. In New Orleans, they celebrate and throw a party.

[quote]

See my take on it above. It’s actually quite logical. When you lose something very, very dear to you AND irreplaceable it’s natural to mourn. People are different, therefore mourn in different ways. [/quote]

There is nothing logical about how long we mourn those who pass. They are gone. We are here. Nothing will bring them back which makes years of sadness illogical.

It makes us HUMAN, but humanity and logic don’t always go hand in hand.

In New Orleans, they celebrate and throw a party.

[/quote]

It’s called a “Jazz Funeral” and the origins go back 400 years to the Yoruba people in Africa.

But plenty of white folks have them now, too.

[quote]Yo Momma wrote:
Professor X wrote:

It’s called a “Jazz Funeral” and the origins go back 400 years to the Yoruba people in Africa.

[/quote]

I had no idea it originated in Africa…but then, what didn’t?

Thanks for the info. Now I have to do research.

I had no idea it originated in Africa…but then, what didn’t?

Thanks for the info. Now I have to do research.[/quote]

Talk about a golden invite to headhunter.

musta been some gangster dude who thought the ultimate sign of weakness was to be on your back, apparently literally and figuratively.

Maybe he saw Weekend at Bernie’s one too many times.

Creepy picks though. I wonder if they’re going to keep him in their living room after this.

[quote]catone wrote:
SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico �?? A Puerto Rican man has been granted his wish to remain standing �?? even in death. A funeral home used a special embalming treatment to keep the corpse of 24-year-old Angel Pantoja Medina standing upright for his three-day wake.

Dressed in a Yankees baseball cap and sunglasses, Pantoja was mourned by relatives while propped upright in his mother’s living room.

His brother Carlos told the El Nuevo Dia newspaper the victim had long said he wanted to be upright for his own wake: “He wanted to be happy, standing.”

The owner of the Marin Funeral Home, Damaris Marin, told The Associated Press the mother asked him to fulfill her dead son’s last wish.

Pantoja was found dead Friday underneath a bridge in San Juan and buried Monday. Police are investigating.

Check out the pictures:

http://news.yahoo.com/nphotos/Man-kept-upright-wake/ss/events/hl/081908pantojamedina;_ylt=Asv2Wz2zczniD4b8SnoOBC4uQE4F#photoViewer=/080819/481/257da5304965450b95b97d89f9901971

WTF?

[/quote]

No stranger than the mummies of Guanajuato. Those suckers get buried and dug up multiple times depending on whether or not the rent gets paid:

http://www3.sympatico.ca/nancy.kilpatrick/mummies.htm

[quote]dragonmamma wrote:
catone wrote:

Check out the pictures:

WTF?

No stranger than the mummies of Guanajuato. Those suckers get buried and dug up multiple times depending on whether or not the rent gets paid:

[/quote]

I’m not sure whether to be impressed or a little disturbed at the depth/breadth of your knowledge on this subject… :wink:

When I die, I want my friends to use me as a prop for funny pranks. Kinda like they do here in arkansas with dead armadillos.

Everyone who gets cremated does not do it for religious reasons. There are people who do it because they can’t afford funeral services or coffins…which goes back to what I stated.[/quote]

I’m Hindu. I’m getting cremated.

I wouldn’t have it any other way. Once you’re dead, your body is a waste of space.

EDIT: Unless you can think of something productive to do with your corpse, as per dk44’s post.

Everyone who gets cremated does not do it for religious reasons. There are people who do it because they can’t afford funeral services or coffins…which goes back to what I stated.[/quote]

“And so…in accordance with what his dying wishes might well have been…”

[quote]dragonmamma wrote:

[/quote]

Wow, that’s really cool. I wouldn’t mind being preserved like that when I die. Skeleton’s are pretty gnarly, why not be one?

I liked Hunter S. Thompson’s funeral.

[quote]Yo Momma wrote:
Professor X wrote:

[/quote]

Traditional Irish wakes are intended to be festive as well.

As for the deceased, I heard he was a real stand-up guy.

I think it is disgraceful. Shameful.

A Yankee’s cap for Christ sake.