Standing Behind Neck Presses

Thanks for the input guys, much appreciated. In all honesty, I doubt I’ll end up doing that. I agree with X, to me it’s just not worth the potential injury. I can’t afford surgery, hah. And as for upright rows, I can never do them. Everytime I have ever tried, I ended up hurting myself.

[quote]Rattler wrote:
Thanks for the input guys, much appreciated. In all honesty, I doubt I’ll end up doing that. I agree with X, to me it’s just not worth the potential injury. I can’t afford surgery, hah. And as for upright rows, I can never do them. Everytime I have ever tried, I ended up hurting myself.[/quote]

I’m with you on upright rows. I have done them twice before: The first time it hurt my shoulders at the end of the concentric range on every single rep. Second time, I made certain that I was doing the exercise right and still pain at the end of concentric range. Therefore I never do them.

Dips I have done on and off for the majority of my short training life (11 months or so) but am realising that perhaps my shoulder shouldn’t ache in a terrible, non-DOMS way for days after, therefore am cutting it out also I think (angry because it’s apparently THE exercise for tris).

BTN presses however I have done religiously, and have little trouble with. In saying this, pressing from the traps is probably the most aggravating part of the range al beit, usually only on the first rep for me. The only reason I have done full ROM on BTN presses is because of Poliquin’s strong belief in it. I think from now on I will follow X’s advice on this and limit ROM, or do it with leg drive which would greatly reduce loading on the lower part of the motion as well as save me surgery I guess.

Shoulder flexibility is the key. Some people cant do them because their internal rotators are so tight. I use about a 18" grip and can bring it down to the base of my neck without issue. Doing these has also brought up my traps, and removed my shoulder pain. Bit of an ego trip, my poundages went way down from my FTN press.

I do Bradford press, which is essentially BTN and Military in one. I don’t go past my ears behind, and don’t go below my chin in front, and my shoulders haven’t given me any trouble at all.

I tried those behind neck push-presses for a while after I watched that video. Basically what was my 1RM on regular push-presses, I could now do for 4-5 reps because of the increased leg drive.

Did it for a few weeks, until my shoulder was injured.

[quote]eraserhead wrote:
I tried those behind neck push-presses for a while after I watched that video. Basically what was my 1RM on regular push-presses, I could now do for 4-5 reps because of the increased leg drive.

Did it for a few weeks, until my shoulder was injured.[/quote]

Hmmm that sucks. Sorry to hear. I keep thinking about Olympic lifters who employ behind the neck jerks and power jerks while seldom encountering shoulder issues. Was your shoulder injury perhaps in part caused by benching?

[quote]rudilerm wrote:
eraserhead wrote:

Hmmm that sucks. Sorry to hear. I keep thinking about Olympic lifters who employ behind the neck jerks and power jerks while seldom encountering shoulder issues. Was your shoulder injury perhaps in part caused by benching?[/quote]

You think Olympic lifters have a low occurrence of shoulder problems? Just because issues may not show up WHILE they are competing, I would be very surprised if you found they they avoid joint problems later in life.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
rudilerm wrote:
eraserhead wrote:

Hmmm that sucks. Sorry to hear. I keep thinking about Olympic lifters who employ behind the neck jerks and power jerks while seldom encountering shoulder issues. Was your shoulder injury perhaps in part caused by benching?

You think Olympic lifters have a low occurrence of shoulder problems? Just because issues may not show up WHILE they are competing, I would be very surprised if you found they they avoid joint problems later in life.[/quote]

I’ve just read two or three times that their sport has one of the lowest injury rates so that’s why I made that conclusion. However I fully understand what you mean by “WHILE they’re competing”. I agree with you that they probably encounter their fare share of joint issues away from the olympic platform and later in life.

Do you feel that BTN jerking or limiting the ROM to ear level as you suggested would both lower the risk of the exercise or do you believe strictly in the method you described? Just want to know because I’d rather have an experienced lifter’s input before I perhaps put myself at greater risk of injury.

What do you guys who dont do upright rows do instead out of curiosity?

[quote]realt81 wrote:
What do you guys who dont do upright rows do instead out of curiosity?[/quote]

You mean “shrugs and lateral raises” just didn’t cross your mind?

Up right rows provide no added benefit from these other movements. In fact, I would say it is far inferior to them for overall mass gains.

[quote]GuerillaZen wrote:
CPerfringens wrote:
I prefer to do my shoulder exercices with a slight leg drive and focus on slowing the negative. I gained strength faster on shoulder presses than bench presses this way.

If I could use leg drive on bench pressing movement, I’d certainly try it.

umm… yeah, you’re supposed to drive through the heels on a bench press.[/quote]

I think what he means is driving with the legs in a shoulder press can actually aid in the lifting of more weight. In the bench press it may help you neurologically but your shoulders are still pinned on an immovable object (the bench) so it would not be the same benefit.

[quote]MytchBucanan wrote:
GuerillaZen wrote:
CPerfringens wrote:
I prefer to do my shoulder exercices with a slight leg drive and focus on slowing the negative. I gained strength faster on shoulder presses than bench presses this way.

If I could use leg drive on bench pressing movement, I’d certainly try it.

umm… yeah, you’re supposed to drive through the heels on a bench press.

I think what he means is driving with the legs in a shoulder press can actually aid in the lifting of more weight. In the bench press it may help you neurologically but your shoulders are still pinned on an immovable object (the bench) so it would not be the same benefit.
[/quote]

Try benching 400+ with your feet in the air, (and for reps, while you’re at it).