Standing Ab Work

In the latest Powerlifting USA, Dave Tate says that one of the most important things he did to build his squat was standing ab work.

My first thought was: “What the hell is standing ab work?” I did some poking around online and found this:
http://www.T-Nation.com/findArticle.do?article=05-093-training
"Tip #3: Train abs with your feet on the floor.

"This is as simple as it sounds. The hardest training for your abs involves exercises with your feet on the floor. Doing two-hand push passes or overhead two-handed throws with a medicine ball for distance will make your next morning not so much fun.

"Good mornings are ab killers too; go ahead and try it. Standing crunches with a cable or a band will reveal some real weaknesses. Pushing a car or truck is another ab killer.

Doing the wood chopping motion with a band or cable in place of an ax handle will open your eyes, and even weighted crunches done on a stability ball, with the feet stabilizing your body, makes the abs work far more than the normal crunch.

I’m only posting this as I figured if I was a little confused, maybe someone else was, too.

Any other articles or exercise recommendations?

http://www.T-Nation.com/findArticle.do?article=06-091-training

Plate loaded front squat
One arm military press
two point row
zercher squat

Also (not in the article)

Full contact twists
suitcase deadlifts
overhead squats

This may seem a bit off the wall, but very heavy cheater tricep pushdowns also hit my abs. I start with a weight I could only get maybe 4 or 5 reps with, usually with a pushdown handle though a rope should work too, and then let my arms go above my head on the negative.

A controlled semi crunching yank to get the cable down to elbow lock and then maybe a second back up. Repeat. I discover this was working my abs (and lats a bit) by accident while just trying to hammer my triceps.

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
This may seem a bit off the wall, but very heavy cheater tricep pushdowns also hit my abs. I start with a weight I could only get maybe 4 or 5 reps with, usually with a pushdown handle though a rope should work too, and then let my arms go above my head on the negative.

A controlled semi crunching yank to get the cable down to elbow lock and then maybe a second back up. Repeat. I discover this was working my abs (and lats a bit) by accident while just trying to hammer my triceps.[/quote]

Nice tip. I’ve done something similar. Seems I have been doing lots of “standing ab work.” I just didn’t call it that. I’ll have to stay more hip to the lingo.

Elite fts also recomends using the ab wheel and trying to work up to doing them from a standing position. I haven’t been able to, insanely difficult.

[quote]Naphta wrote:
Elite fts also recomends using the ab wheel and trying to work up to doing them from a standing position. I haven’t been able to, insanely difficult.[/quote]

Speaking of this one of the most impressive core strenght feats ive seen was a video of Dave Tate at his Heavy weight 300 lbs Plus doing a Very smooth and controlled ab wheel from a full on stand all the way down all the way back up and it looked like it was a cake walk.

The ab wheel on or the only lil gimmick TV gadget thats worth a shit

Oh OH carries are great try One handed with a DB or alternate suit case carry and DB oh Carry with varied load so your body has to adjust to stay balanced, suit case caries, lots of strongman stuff is killer. etc…

Phill

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:
In the latest Powerlifting USA, Dave Tate says that one of the most important things he did to build his squat was standing ab work.

My first thought was: “What the hell is standing ab work?” I did some poking around online and found this:
[/quote]

I wouldn’t do any crunches or situps. These are way better along the same lines what tate is talking about:

Ab wheels, one handed ab wheels, standing ab cable rope pulldowns, dragon flags, hanging leg raises, L sits, V sits, V ups.

[quote]greekdawg wrote:
CaliforniaLaw wrote:

I wouldn’t do any crunches or situps. These are way better along the same lines what tate is talking about:

Ab wheels, one handed ab wheels, standing ab cable rope pulldowns, dragon flags, hanging leg raises, L sits, V sits, V ups.
[/quote]

Standing 1 arm cable presses with your hips locked is pretty good.