T Nation

Standards for a 200lb Man?

I'm sure some of you will think this is a stupid question, but for those that don't, I'm curious how much weight you all think a 200lb man (30yrs old) should be able to lift for say 6-8 reps?

Barbell Standard Grip Bench?
Dumbbell Curl?
EZ Bar Curl?
Dumbbell Shoulder Press?
Standard Barbell Squat?
Front Squat?

Thanks for the input. Feel free to add any other staple exercises and weights, but let's keep it for a 30 year old 200lb man.

Why does it matter?

Are you going to get to that number and strop progressing?

more than the other 200 pound men.

All that matters is your max tricep kickback

The number means nothing! Lift what you can with good form and then add more weight as you get stronger. I am 34 years old and what I can currently lift compared to what you think you SHOULD be able to lift may be worlds apart. Stop measuring dicks and lift.

Check out this article I think it will answer a lot of your questions.

An American or a Chinese man.

An untrained American should be able to lift alot more than an untrained Chineseman.

But a trained Chineseman would probably snatch for warmup what most trained Americans squat.

The average 30 year old man gets stapled by a 225 lb bar on bench AND squat (to parallel) and can’t budge 315 off the floor. Everything above that is relative to where or with whom you train.

[quote]Brett295 wrote:
Check out this article I think it will answer a lot of your questions.

Cool, thanks Brett295. That article looks like exactly what I was asking.

I appreciate the other answers and I know a lot of this is subjective and depends on where you are, years of lifting, height, etc. I was just curious what YOU think a 200lb American man should lift in the basic lifts.

Is everything repeating itself or is it just me?

[quote]The other Rob wrote:
Is everything repeating itself or is it just me?[/quote]

It’s not just you.

Barbell Standard Grip Bench? - 187.5
Dumbbell Curl? 31.997
EZ Bar Curl? Depends if its raining or not
Dumbbell Shoulder Press? Depending on the time zone, 90.666
Standard Barbell Squat? Are you wearing gloves?
Front Squat? Ten.

[quote]Nich P wrote:

Barbell Standard Grip Bench? 500X8
Dumbbell Curl? 100X8
EZ Bar Curl? 200X8
Dumbbell Shoulder Press? 50X8
Standard Barbell Squat? 700X8
Front Squat? 500X8

[/quote]

Do this and you be stronger

[quote]BlackLabel wrote:
Dumbbell Curl? 31.997
Front Squat? Ten.
[/quote]

No way man you forgot to factor in wind resistance and the position of the moon. That could put your numbers out by 0.000000017

BlackLabel wrote:
Dumbbell Curl? 31.997
Front Squat? Ten.

No way man you forgot to factor in wind resistance and the position of the moon. That could put your numbers out by 0.000000017[/quote]

Unplausable.

BlackLabel wrote:
Dumbbell Curl? 31.997
Front Squat? Ten.

No way man you forgot to factor in wind resistance and the position of the moon. That could put your numbers out by 0.000000017[/quote]

Guys… Dont forget to factor in the elevation.

[quote]Nich P wrote:
I’m sure some of you will think this is a stupid question, but for those that don’t, I’m curious how much weight you all think a 200lb man (30yrs old) should be able to lift for say 6-8 reps?

Barbell Standard Grip Bench?
Dumbbell Curl?
EZ Bar Curl?
Dumbbell Shoulder Press?
Standard Barbell Squat?
Front Squat?

Thanks for the input. Feel free to add any other staple exercises and weights, but let’s keep it for a 30 year old 200lb man.[/quote]

This is the strength sports forum. Not to be mean, but do you think anyone here is thinking about a 6-8RM on the EZ bar curl? I didn’t think so. Take that garbage to the bodybuilding forum.

A double bodyweight squat is probably the best standard - I’d say less than double bodyweight means you’re in the beginner stage, where you’d probably benefit most from fixing your movement deficiencies and imbalances. More than double bodyweight and you would benefit from employing advanced techniques.

[quote]dankid wrote:
The other Rob wrote:
BlackLabel wrote:
Dumbbell Curl? 31.997
Front Squat? Ten.

No way man you forgot to factor in wind resistance and the position of the moon. That could put your numbers out by 0.000000017

Guys… Dont forget to factor in the elevation.[/quote]

true, if you’re too high up you wont be able to get in enough H2O (thats oxygen for you guys who arent bio majors) and that could cause you to work harder than you have to. why do you think navy seals are so badass? they train on a ship, only a few feet above sea level, they are oxygen RICH!!!

[quote]LiveFromThe781 wrote:
dankid wrote:
The other Rob wrote:
BlackLabel wrote:
Dumbbell Curl? 31.997
Front Squat? Ten.

Guys… Dont forget to factor in the elevation.

true, if you’re too high up you wont be able to get in enough H2O (thats oxygen for you guys who arent bio majors) and that could cause you to work harder than you have to. why do you think navy seals are so badass? they train on a ship, only a few feet above sea level, they are oxygen RICH!!![/quote]

I can’t believe I have to say this.

H2O is water. Two parts Hydrogen, one part Oxygen.

Pure Oxygen is O2. It’s a diatomic element, if I remember correctly, so a single molecule of oxygen contains two oxygen atoms.

Really hope I didn’t screw up any of the terminology there, been a while since I took a chem course . . .

Oh yeah, and standards mean shit. Who the fuck wants to be normal.

Nuh uh, oxygen is H2O and everything that’s been said so far is 100% serious and true. Also remember to factor in humidity and air pressure. Also why has no one mentioned the single leg jumping overhead kettlebell squat? If you can’t do 15 reps with 50% of your bodyweight then you’re not functional yet.