T Nation

Stand up Guy

I believe that bodybuilding is not just about sculpting the physique but also the mind and the soul (sorry if i sound like a hippie).

But seriously, I think that it is important not just to build muscles but to build solid characteristics and habits which make you a better person. What I am trying to define here is exactly what “class act” or “a real stand up guy” really is.

IMO, one should be the following:

• honest
  • helpful
  • intelligent
  • hardworking
  • respectful
  • nice
  • charming
  • brave
  • tough
  • mature

I think these terms constitute the definition of every stand up guy out there. These are characteristics we all try to practice, but how many of us really are fulfilling all these requirements completely?

I think its important for every respectable man to try and reach these goals, and to try and be the only stand up guy in the crowded room. These characteristics are things that separate the men from the boys, and at the end of the day, everyone will know.

Thoughts?

Confucius say ‘The exemplary person pursues harmony not sameness’.

I do that.

[quote]Spry wrote:

I do that.[/quote]

But confucius didn’t deadlift, so what the fuck does he know.

[quote]msd0060 wrote:
Spry wrote:

I do that.

But confucius didn’t deadlift, so what the fuck does he know.[/quote]

Sense make you not?

The Nine Noble Virtues

Courage
Truth
Honour
Fidelity
Discipline
Hospitality
Self Reliance
Industriousness
Perseverance

Or the Seven Virtues of Bushido

Rectitude - gi
Courage - yuu
Benevolence - jin
Respect - rei
Honesty - makoto or shin
Honour - yo
Loyalty - chuu

The Golden Rule(improvised):

Hey! Be nice to people ya jerk! Or they’ll gang up and kick your ass!

[quote]Seinix wrote:
I believe that bodybuilding is not just about sculpting the physique but also the mind and the soul (sorry if i sound like a hippie).

But seriously, I think that it is important not just to build muscles but to build solid characteristics and habits which make you a better person. What I am trying to define here is exactly what “class act” or “a real stand up guy” really is.

IMO, one should be the following:

• honest
  • helpful
  • intelligent
  • hardworking
  • respectful
  • nice
  • charming
  • brave
  • tough
  • mature

I think these terms constitute the definition of every stand up guy out there. These are characteristics we all try to practice, but how many of us really are fulfilling all these requirements completely?

I think its important for every respectable man to try and reach these goals, and to try and be the only stand up guy in the crowded room. These characteristics are things that separate the men from the boys, and at the end of the day, everyone will know.

Thoughts?[/quote]

I agree that people in general should work on these things, but they have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with bodybuilding.

Are we talking about T-Men again?

[quote]Seinix wrote:

Thoughts?[/quote]

I thought this was going to be about comedians. Ever wonder why they have to “stand up”? Can’t a person be funny while seated?

What’s up with that???

Give what you lack.

[quote]Kruiser wrote:
Seinix wrote:

Thoughts?

I thought this was going to be about comedians. Ever wonder why they have to “stand up”? Can’t a person be funny while seated?

What’s up with that???

[/quote]

wakka wakka wakka