T Nation

Stand-Up Comedy

Hey, all. I’m looking for some new stand-up comedians to check out. Lately, I’ve really been digging Mitch Hedberg and Demetri Martin; which is to say, I suppose, one-liners and non-sequiturs. Does anyone have any good less-than-famous comedians to suggest? (Read: No Dane Cook)

Mitch Hedberg:
I have long hair, and see, people associate long hair with drug use. I wish long hair was associated with something other than drug use, like ‘an extreme longing for cake’. People would see a guy with long hair and say “damn, that fucker eats cake, he’s on bundt cake”. Mothers telling their daughters “don’t bring the cake-eater over here anymore, he smells like flour. Did you notice how his eyes widened when he found out your birthday was fast approaching?”

Demetri Martin:
A squirrel is the same as a can…
When there’s a BB gun in my hand

To live is the same as to dream
If you do both long enough, you’ll see
But you gotta work in between
Unless you have narcolepsy

Hedberg was one of my favorites. It’s sad he’s no longer with us.

Demetri Martin is great. Catch him live if you can.

Some of my other current favorites:

Greg Giraldo
Brian Regan
Patrice O’Neal
Arj Baker
Paul F. Tompkins
Doug Benson
Jim Norton
Pablo Francisco
Ralph Harris
Dave Attell
Patton Oswalt
Dom Irrera

I like Russell Peters a lot, but he may be too famous for you.

[quote]AngryVader wrote:
Hedberg was one of my favorites. It’s sad he’s no longer with us.

Demetri Martin is great. Catch him live if you can.

Some of my other current favorites:

Greg Giraldo
Brian Regan
Patrice O’Neal
Arj Baker
Paul F. Tompkins
Doug Benson
Jim Norton
Pablo Francisco
Ralph Harris
Dave Attell
Patton Oswalt
Dom Irrera

[/quote]

I’ve seen Giraldo, Patrice, Benson and Attell all live, they’re all great. Patrice takes the cake though, I’ve only laughed harder when I went to see Jerry Seinfeld.

I’ll throw one more out there that I don’t think has been mentioned: Todd Barry

[quote]eic wrote:
I like Russell Peters a lot, but he may be too famous for you. [/quote]

My parents have the accent that can cut through the thickest tension.

Bill Hicks.

[quote]Bauer97 wrote:
AngryVader wrote:
Hedberg was one of my favorites. It’s sad he’s no longer with us.

Demetri Martin is great. Catch him live if you can.

Some of my other current favorites:

Greg Giraldo
Brian Regan
Patrice O’Neal
Arj Baker
Paul F. Tompkins
Doug Benson
Jim Norton
Pablo Francisco
Ralph Harris
Dave Attell
Patton Oswalt
Dom Irrera

I’ve seen Giraldo, Patrice, Benson and Attell all live, they’re all great. Patrice takes the cake though, I’ve only laughed harder when I went to see Jerry Seinfeld.

I’ll throw one more out there that I don’t think has been mentioned: Todd Barry[/quote]

Thank you! I forgot Todd Barry. Master of the deadpan.

One of my favorite Todd Barry lines:

“For all of you women that would choose Brad Pitt over me, I just have one thing to say to you: Brad Pitt…would never fuck you. I, on the other hand…might.”

EDIT: Here’s a few ‘up-and-comers’ that I think are funny:

Kyle Dunnigan
Dan Cummins
Kyle Cease

Thanks for the suggestions, all, especially Vader; I’ve seen and enjoyed quite a few of these comedians’ records, so I’m gonna go check out the rest.

By the way, check out Russel Brand; very weird and funny British comedian, even though I don’t actually get all of his material.

(btw… extremely jealous of everyone who gets the chance to watch these guys live. can’t see demetri martin because as far as i know he’s only active in the U.S. :()

[quote]Makavali wrote:
eic wrote:
I like Russell Peters a lot, but he may be too famous for you.

My parents have the accent that can cut through the thickest tension.[/quote]

My client…would like to plead guilty!

Sorry, I have nothing to add over and above what was mentioned.

Dara oBriain…(Irish) saw him a while ago and near wet myself

Bill Bailey (English) is my favourite and one of the funniest men in the world

Billy Connelly - (Scottish), need i saw more.

Dylan Moran (Irish) - drunken and amazing!

Ardal O’Hanlon (Irish) - was father dougal in fater ted and if you havnt watched father ted… well ur a mess!

id reccommend all of these guys… could watch them for hours!

[quote]rsg wrote:
Makavali wrote:
eic wrote:
I like Russell Peters a lot, but he may be too famous for you.

My parents have the accent that can cut through the thickest tension.

My client…would like to plead guilty!

Sorry, I have nothing to add over and above what was mentioned.[/quote]

Lol.

“Somebody’s gonna get a hurt real bad . . . Somebody.” Fucking hilarious.

[quote]AngryVader wrote:
Hedberg was one of my favorites. It’s sad he’s no longer with us.

Demetri Martin is great. Catch him live if you can.

Some of my other current favorites:

Brian Regan

Dave Attell
Patton Oswalt
[/quote]

Seconding all these, but most importantly Brian Regan. Seriously, do yourself that favor. His DVD “Standing Up” has both his new bit (named “Standing Up” strangely enough) and also his old “Comedy Central Presents Brian Regan.” The older one is the stronger of the two and I suggest you start there. The second one has some amazing bits though.

Artie Lange- Howard Stern co-host. Freakin hilarious.

Bill Burr is another funny one.

Doug Stanhope (used to be the host of The Man Show along with Joe Rogan) is my favorite comedian right now. I think any T-nationer would appreciate his chaotic stand-up routines:

Russell Peters, back to politically incorrect.

Doug Stanhope is hilerious! good shout… if you like him check out Dylan Moran and Tommy Tiernen.

Dylan Moran - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZWZZRZDcSQ

Tommy Tiernan - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06-s9uz0qK0

ABOUT DRUGS IN SPORT!!!

Richard Jeni.

My all time favorite comedian:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDiVpae3ixk

[quote]thosebananas wrote:
Doug Stanhope is hilerious! good shout… if you like him check out Dylan Moran and Tommy Tiernen.

Dylan Moran - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZWZZRZDcSQ

Tommy Tiernan - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06-s9uz0qK0

ABOUT DRUGS IN SPORT!!![/quote]

Thanks for the links man. I’m always looking for other comedians especially non-american ones. Good stuff.

Another Doug Stanhope vid:

White people… you need to beat your children. Do you want them to be social rejects? No? Then beat them!