T Nation

Stance Width During Deadlifts

Not talking about semi-sumo here.

Shoulder width vs narrow width-does it matter?

Anyone who seem to find the narrow width easier?

Act as if you were about to do a vertical jump. Use that foot placement, it is your most explosive.

From what I understand the closer the feet, the easier the pull is off the ground and the harder the lockout. And the opposite happens with a wider stance.

Not positive on this, hopefully some other guys will chime in on this.

i use a stance more on the narrow side. i do find it easier.

my feet are about 12 inches apart. some people like them shoulder width. jim wendlers heels almost touch. pick whatever feels strongest to you.

Yeah,when I say narrow,I am talking about Jim Wendler’s stance.

I Just widened out my stance out to a “semi sumo” and found it easier off the floor than when I was narrower?

One of the best descriptions I’ve read/heard to pick your stance (I’m almost positive Wendler mentioned it in the 5/3/1 book) is to hang dead from a pull up bar and drop to the ground. The position your feet land in naturally is a good starting point to figure out your stance from. I tried it and think it worked really well.

I use this width for conventional pulling - as it’s me, who is pulling. I’ve converted to sumostance now, though, but still pull conv. every once in a while.

[quote]jakjak824 wrote:
I Just widened out my stance out to a “semi sumo” and found it easier off the floor than when I was narrower?[/quote]

ROM becomes shorter?

By the way,as I have stated originally,this is discussion is not about semi-sumo.

Experiment with it, I see various approaches and all of them can work if the are properly matched to the lifter. I find that a very close stance makes be more explosive off the floor, but more likely have problems from the knees up. Since I can get just about anyhtign off the floor, I use a wider, almost shoulder width stance, so I can more effectively “squat” the weight up through the top half of the movement.

Put your feet wherever you can pull the most weight.

I don’t know how wide that is, but the middle of my feet ends up where the smooth becomes knurled on my bar.

don’t shorter people benefit from a slightly wider stance? i know it’s all different per person, but in general. being a tall(er) person i was able to pull and extra 35lbs in one week when i changed my stance from wide to narrow.

i pulled 475 at a meet with a wide stance and a wide grip (small pic), 4 days later in my gym (after getting advice from training partners) i was able to pull 510 pretty easily with a narrow (just inside shoulder width) stance and a much narrower grip (larger pic,about two yrs after first small pic).

wow that’s a small fucking pic. sorry about that.

[quote]Doenitz79 wrote:
jakjak824 wrote:
I Just widened out my stance out to a “semi sumo” and found it easier off the floor than when I was narrower?

ROM becomes shorter?

By the way,as I have stated originally,this is discussion is not about semi-sumo.
[/quote]

BTW fuck off!

[quote]Doenitz79 wrote:

Anyone who seem to find the narrow width easier?[/quote]

I’m just switching from a semi-sumo to conventional due to a hamstring injury, so I’ve been playing with this all week. I’ve found shoulder width (shins lining up with the begining of the knurlings) works best for me. Any narrower and my knees start to come in when I start to pull.

B-rock, as a short guy (5’5-'6) I find it easier to deadlift with a narrow stance. So I guess it just depends on the person. The narrow stance also makes it easier for me to keep my legs in the lift prior to the bar passing my knees, anything wider and I have a tendancy to straighten legs way to soon.

The foot placement for the vertical jump/hanging from pull up bar is spot on for me - which just happens to be very close.

[quote]Doenitz79 wrote:

Anyone who seem to find the narrow width easier?[/quote]

I used to just pull shoulder-width and someone suggested making it narrower. Made a HUGE difference in terms of explosive strength. And going barefoot, also important.

Just under hips.