T Nation

Stalling

I am on Cycle #6, Week #1 and I stalled on my first lift. My last set for deads was 5 @ 435. I was only able to hit 3 reps though. Should I deload now? Or should I finish this cycle.

Also, I'm not sure if this is a matter of stalling since I hit 440 for 5 in the beginning of May. I think it might be due to lack of rest/recovery. I feel more beat up than usual and I think it's because my sleep has been shit the last two days.

All advice is appreciated.

Deload, then go back 2 cycles.

So if your deadlift max for cycle 6 is 450 and your training max for cycle 5 was 440. Go back to a training max of 420 and hit it hard.

5 cycles forward, then 2 cycles back.

If it was one day, relax. Training isn’t all good or even great days. There are shitty days too. And the stronger you get, you realize that you’ll have a lot of average days, fewer great days and some pretty bad days. Then you assess your training and adjust. But this is beyond the scope of this question.

However, If this is a pattern, reset.

[quote]Jim Wendler wrote:
If it was one day, relax. Training isn’t all good or even great days. There are shitty days too. And the stronger you get, you realize that you’ll have a lot of average days, fewer great days and some pretty bad days. Then you assess your training and adjust. But this is beyond the scope of this question.

However, If this is a pattern, reset.[/quote]

One of the small, useful practices I picked up from reading your stuff is making a note in my training journal of whether a session fell within the “average” 80% or the upper or lower 10%, respectively.

In addition to helping me keep perspective when I have a lower 10% day, it allows me to recognize when things are going particularly well or poorly so I can try to analyze why.

[quote]PhiKappaGuy wrote:
I am on Cycle #6, Week #1 and I stalled on my first lift. My last set for deads was 5 @ 435. I was only able to hit 3 reps though. Should I deload now? Or should I finish this cycle.

Also, I’m not sure if this is a matter of stalling since I hit 440 for 5 in the beginning of May. I think it might be due to lack of rest/recovery. I feel more beat up than usual and I think it’s because my sleep has been shit the last two days.

All advice is appreciated.[/quote] You may need to deload every 4th week instead of 7th week, go through your logs and you should find out what stage you should be recovering.