T Nation

Stalling Out on 5/3/1

I've been using 5/3/1 for the last year with some great improvements. It took my squat from 345 to 400lbs, my bench from 245 for 1 to 265 for 4 and my deadlift from 365 to 445. My problem is my squat and deadlift progress has slowed. I've been getting 2 or 3 reps on my one rep training max regularily but now I'm down to one rep on my one rep training max and I missed 425 for my 5 rep training max (only getting three reps) this week. My bench is still progressing and I got 4 reps on my 1 rep training max last week. I haven't been deloading every 3 weeks and really only deloading when I feel I need too. I've decided to take this week off after missing my 5 rep max in the deadlift. Just wondering what I should do?

1. Take a week or two off/ light training. Maybe you need a little rest?
  2. Straight from the book, Jim mentiones when you stall, take your weights from 2-3 cycles ago, and start again from there. Take 2 steps back, go 3 forward
  3. You mentioned that your bench is still going up? Maybe just reset the Squat and Deadlift? Keep riding that bench...

Simple. Lower your training max by around 10%.

take deloads and run the program as written. when you stall, reset at 85% of current max weights.

Well obviously you need to deload. Haven't you read the book? Once you start modifying the program, it is no longer 5/3/1. Just do the program AS WRITTEN and you'll be fine. What I would do is take about 10% of your best training maxes and reset and work from there. Hope this helps.

Luke

There's a reason Wendler has a de-load every fourth week. Use it to your advantage. Run hills, do complexes, etc during your de-load week if you feel the need to do something. But, by all means, utilize the de-load week

First deload when you are suppose to as scheduled, better for the long term. Second take about %10 of your weights and start again. At least that is what I would do.

a search

Start by deloading every 4th week like Jim suggests and also re-test your maxes and take your 90%'s like the program has you do when you start 5/3/1. Try that out and see how it goes.

Reset and start again.

what exactly have you been doing for assistance and how have you set it up through the week?

reset & restart!

Wendler himself typically recommends you reset your training max down and start working back up from there. You should probably decrease your training max ~30 lbs. and start working back up from there. I would also recommend you start doing the regular deloads as scheduled. As you get stronger, the heavier poundages are tougher to recover from and the deloads become more important.

• post in the 5/3/1 main thread :wink:

• take the deload week as scheduled;

• reset DL and Squat max;

I would start by changing my Avatar . . . then maybe reset my max numbers.

take your training maxes for squat and deadlift and multiply by 90% and keep going, its all in the book.

I'm by no means an expert. I'm actually mid way through my 2nd cycle of 5/3/1. But dealoading sounds like a good start. I would also consider lowering your training maxes. Hope you get out of that rut soon.

I'm by no means an expert. I'm actually mid way through my 2nd cycle of 5/3/1. But dealoading sounds like a good start. I would also consider lowering your training maxes. Hope you get out of that rut soon.

Deload as it says. There's a reason Jim has that in there. there's a decent amount of volume in 5 3 1 and you'll need the rest to recover.

Also, you will tap out on this after some time. When that happens you might want to use a different program for some time , such as a Westside approach. But not forever. Take your new maxes and go back to 5 3 1.

I was doing my own thing and quasi Westside for years. I just did my first 5 3 1 on deadlfifs last week. I suck at reps because it's been so long since I did them. I'm hoping it pushes me over the hump to 600 lbs.

Deload as it says. There's a reason Jim has that in there. there's a decent amount of volume in 5 3 1 and you'll need the rest to recover.

Also, you will tap out on this after some time. When that happens you might want to use a different program for some time , such as a Westside approach. But not forever. Take your new maxes and go back to 5 3 1.

I was doing my own thing and quasi Westside for years. I just did my first 5 3 1 on deadlfifs last week. I suck at reps because it's been so long since I did them. I'm hoping it pushes me over the hump to 600 lbs.