T Nation

Stalling on Starting Strength

Hi all

I have just missed my reps on bench for the first time about 2 months in. Started at 90kg 3x5 today got 127.5kg 5, 3, 3

Should I try and get all the reps a couple of more times then reset or do I reset now?

Cheers

Get more total reps each workout without going over 5 per set. You managed 11 before, so get 12 at least. Once you can no longer do THAT, consider it a stall.

Thanks for the advice!

Can I do this by adding sets or just sticking to 3?

[quote]Big Al 1983 wrote:
Thanks for the advice!

Can I do this by adding sets or just sticking to 3?[/quote]

Are you intent on “doing starting strength”, or is it just a matter of getting stronger?

I ask, because technically doing the former is not “doing the program”, but I have had success with adding sets. Ideally, you should be able to do it in 3 sets, but I have found that doing MORE has always been better for me versus doing less.

Was planning on doing SS until gains exhausted then move to 531 but the plan is to get as strong as possible for meet in July only been powerlifting for a couple of months

The SS protocol is to give yourself 3 sessions at the weight and if you fail to get 3x5 after the 3rd do a reset. You’ll probably find you’ll hit the required reps next time.

Was planning on doing SS until gains exhausted then move to 531 but the plan is to get as strong as possible for meet in July only been powerlifting for a couple of months[/quote]

Move on to madcow or 5/3/1 then -will give you better strength gains, especially as you look far from a beginner

Thanks both for the advice

Was planning on doing SS until gains exhausted then move to 531 but the plan is to get as strong as possible for meet in July only been powerlifting for a couple of months[/quote]

do texas method. Program also works great for meet prep if you tweak the intensity day.

What are KGs? lol…you’re still strong BigAl. Might be time for a deload week…regroup and attack again.

Lol!! The metric system still annoys me I wish the plates had pounds written on them!