T Nation

Stalling on Squats for 5x5

Hi all,

I’ve just started on bill starr’s 5x5 intermediate workout and am stalling on my week 4 monday squats at 315. Managed to knock out 3 reps the previous friday but only managed to hit 4 today, 4th one was a real grind, 5th one was a half-squat…

My weights is 195 lbs and current 5rms are as follows
Bench: 200
Squat: 310
Deadlift: 365
OHP: 120

Daily caloric intake approximately 3200 cals.

Prior to this I was running 5/3/1 but was stalling badly on all my lifts so decided to drop down to a less advanced program hence 5x5 intermediate.

Based on my current numbers, I want to know if I should take it down a notch further and go on 5x5 SS (which I have never ran before btw, was kinda running a bodybuilding program prior to 531.)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Monday of Week 4 is supposed to be hitting your previous 5-rep-maxes from before you started the program. You don’t PR until week 5, so there should be no reason to have stalled on week 4 unless 1) you were cutting a lot of weight or really upping your cardio or 2) you messed up your starting weights.

So, what was your 5-rep-max before you started the program, and what were your top sets on squats for Monday on weeks 1 through 3?

If your stalling after 4 weeks you started too heavy.

[quote]reginaldtoh wrote:

Prior to this I was running 5/3/1 but was stalling badly on all my lifts so decided to drop down to a less advanced program hence 5x5 intermediate.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated![/quote]

5/3/1 is FAR from advanced. And how long did you run it? You sound like a program jumper when you simply need to stick with a proven plan and run it for at least 6 months before you even think about changing something. I say that because you mention that you went from BB to 5/3/1 to 5x5 all in one post. When you ran 5/3/1 did you buy the book or did you do some boot leg / butchered version of it?

[quote]StrengthDawg wrote:

[quote]reginaldtoh wrote:

Any advice would be greatly appreciated![/quote]

5/3/1 is FAR from advanced. And how long did you run it? You sound like a program jumper when you simply need to stick with a proven plan and run it for at least 6 months before you even think about changing something. I say that because you mention that you went from BB to 5/3/1 to 5x5 all in one post. When you ran 5/3/1 did you buy the book or did you do some boot leg / butchered version of it?
[/quote]

He has one post, says enough for me…

I started bodybuilding style weight training about 3 years ago but yes I was a program jumper throughout the entire 3 years, didnt get much gains there.

Last year I ran 5/3/1 for close to 6 cycles using the bodybuilder template found in the book. Realised that I had to pick either bb or strength training or I would never experience significant gains.

Anyhows, that’s when I switched over to 5x5 hoping that the by benching and squatting more / week I would be able to bring up my overall strength as I am not satisfied with my weight to strength ratio.

Yes I do believe that I may have started with too heavy a weight for squats as my other lifts are all progressing fine.

Just needed to hear it from the veterans out there.

I have since reduced the weight for squats and will just carry on the program from there as I don’t want to restart the entire program just for the sake of squats. Any inputs on whether this is the right move?