T Nation

Stalling On 5x5, What Next?

I’ve been doing a 5x5 program, the Madcow one you can find online, for over two months now. Made some good progress, especially squatting, but have now stalled on the bench and deadlift, am looking to change it up, this is my last week of 5x5. Primary goal is increasing the powerlifts, though I don’t compete, but don’t want to neglect hypertrophy either.

Any suggestions? I’ve seen Korte 3x3 mentioned, can anyone post a link or description of this?

didja take any backoff weeks?

Id say its high time for a few weks of higher reps Dont ignore them in totality even if your goal is pure strength

Phill

You are supposed to keep at it until you stall. Then you drop the weights and back off and keep at it. What do you mean last week of 5x5? You are meant to keep going indefinetely until you stall then backoff or change. You have stalled 1 week early therefore, do one week of reduced loads it will be good for you.

There are intermediate and advanced versions of 5x5 you know

geocities.com/elitemadcow1/table_of_contents_thread.htm

[quote]skidmark wrote:
didja take any backoff weeks?[/quote]

No, probably should have, but did his intermediate template. Aside from sore shoulders for a week or two, felt OK.

[quote]Magarhe wrote:
You are supposed to keep at it until you stall. Then you drop the weights and back off and keep at it. What do you mean last week of 5x5? You are meant to keep going indefinetely until you stall then backoff or change. You have stalled 1 week early therefore, do one week of reduced loads it will be good for you.

There are intermediate and advanced versions of 5x5 you know

geocities.com/elitemadcow1/table_of_contents_thread.htm

[/quote]Very true. But he could be a little burned out on the whole 5x5 method. It might be worth getting away from it for a month and coming back completely refreshed.

Maybe at that point move to the advanced program, take a backoff week when he stalls and then reset the program as they suggest in Madcow.

2 months of the same thing could get very boring for some, while others might thrive on the consistency of the program, just changing the accessory work a little.

[quote]GDollars37 wrote:
skidmark wrote:
didja take any backoff weeks?

No, probably should have, but did his intermediate template. Aside from sore shoulders for a week or two, felt OK.[/quote]

Everytime my performance stall or drop with a 5x5 program (usually after 3-4 month), I do a 10x10 for 1 month, then 1 week off…

[quote]GDollars37 wrote:
Any suggestions? I’ve seen Korte 3x3 mentioned, can anyone post a link or description of this?[/quote]

Here it is: http://www.deepsquatter.com/strength/archives/korte.htm

I am doing the same 5x5. Did you deload by dropping down to 3x3 for 3-4 weeks? If you didn’t no wonder your progress stalled. After 5 weeks of the 5x5, I dropped to the 3x3. My lifts continue to go up, and I just started my second volume phase. One of the most important parts of the program is deloading the volume and increasing the intensity (in regards to 1RM).

If you just keep doing the same thing over and over again, your body will have no reason to adapt and get stronger. You can always go back to the 5x5 after the 3x3, or even try a 8x3 or 10x3. Another thing that might help that I’ve done is switching up your movements. On my first bench day I now do declines, and on my second day I do close grip. I also vary my squats. This way you won’t get overtraineed on the same movement patterns.

Lastly, are you eating enough?

[quote]eisenaffe wrote:
GDollars37 wrote:
Any suggestions? I’ve seen Korte 3x3 mentioned, can anyone post a link or description of this?

Here it is: http://www.deepsquatter.com/strength/archives/korte.htm
[/quote]

Thanks for that, bookmarked it and may do it in the future.

i like teh western periodization model that Dave Tate published in teh periodization bible part 1. Its the one he tells you NOT to use, but i gave it a shot (i had my reasons) and liked it. I think hte less advanced you are the better it will work

[quote]Dre Cappa wrote:
I am doing the same 5x5. Did you deload by dropping down to 3x3 for 3-4 weeks? If you didn’t no wonder your progress stalled. After 5 weeks of the 5x5, I dropped to the 3x3. My lifts continue to go up, and I just started my second volume phase. One of the most important parts of the program is deloading the volume and increasing the intensity (in regards to 1RM).

If you just keep doing the same thing over and over again, your body will have no reason to adapt and get stronger. You can always go back to the 5x5 after the 3x3, or even try a 8x3 or 10x3. Another thing that might help that I’ve done is switching up your movements. On my first bench day I now do declines, and on my second day I do close grip. I also vary my squats. This way you won’t get overtraineed on the same movement patterns.

Lastly, are you eating enough?[/quote]

I think my diet’s OK, yeah, eat 5-6 meals a day, each 500-800 calories. Over a gram of protein per lb. bodyweight.

The intermediate program didn’t have anything about deloading, though I’ve just read the advanced version. Dropping down to 3x3 sounds like a great idea. What are you doing for assistance exercises?

I’m kind of torn though, part of me wants to do 3x3 backoff, but I also think a period of high reps wouldn’t hurt. I can’t remember the last time I did reps of more than 8 on a compound lift, it’s been years I think.

The way it has been explained to me is that the 5x5 builds strength through planned volume work. Therefore, when you deload, the deload comes from the significant reduction of volume. While cutting the volume, the intensity (how much of your 1RM you are moving) goes up. In other words, if you increase your volume by doing higher reps, you won’t really be deloading (assuming youre using a weight that is actually taxing you in that rep range). If you have access to the Advanced Program’s Excel sheet, plug your numbers in and look at the graph that charts the workload. The work increases week to week during the volume phase, then drops sharply during the deload/intensification phase.

For assistance work, it varies. On Mondays, I do Bulgarian Split Squats and DB Floor Presses, both 3x8. Wednesday is 45 degree hypers and shrugs, 3x8 again. Friday is either incline or flat DB bench and good mornings or natural GHRs 3x8. I also hit abs heavy (4x8,4x6, 5x5)3-4 times per week. Keep accessory work’s volume constant during each phase. These should add to your lifts, not take away from them. They should be challenging too, but never to failure. Hope this helps.

[quote]GDollars37 wrote:
Dre Cappa wrote:

Lastly, are you eating enough?

I think my diet’s OK, yeah, eat 5-6 meals a day, each 500-800 calories. Over a gram of protein per lb. bodyweight.

The intermediate program didn’t have anything about deloading, though I’ve just read the advanced version. Dropping down to 3x3 sounds like a great idea. What are you doing for assistance exercises?

I’m kind of torn though, part of me wants to do 3x3 backoff, but I also think a period of high reps wouldn’t hurt. I can’t remember the last time I did reps of more than 8 on a compound lift, it’s been years I think.

[/quote]

Basic 5x5 deload is by dropping the poundage, hence volume drops.

But yeah it is easy to get sick of it and also, gets boring too. And some people might not be suited to 5x5, maybe, 4x6 or 6x4 would work better for them.

You can switch to EDT to spice things up a bit.