Stalling at Same Weight After Deloads

Probably really stupid question…

Hi, I wonder if I could get some advice?

I’m 38 (5’9 about 175lb) and have been using 531 for quite a few years (with interruptions due to job as doctor, fatherhood and some injuries), and I love it.

I train 3x week (combining press & BP on one day, which seems to work okay) and do BBB 3 x10 with 60% for assistance (5 sets seemed to give overuse injury) I try to get about 7 hours sleep, and eat enough to get flabby every now and again (at which point I trim back a bit) so I think recovery seems at least reasonable.

My problem is that when I stall and deload 3 cycles, I often work back up and stall repeatedly at the same weight, especially on the squat. I go up 4 kg/cycle on DL, 3kg on Squat and 2kg on BP and only 1kg on Press).

I’m probably making some basic schoolboy error, but is there anything obvious I should be looking at fixing? Thanks!

Howdy doc,

How often do you switch up assistance work?

First, I wouldn’t combine Bench and Press. That kind of cooks the triceps.

Maybe comibine press with deadlift or after squat?

Here are two options.

BBB 5 x 5
Bench 5/3/1
Military Press 5 x 5 X 80%

Squat 5/3/1
Deadlift 5 x 5 @ 80%

Press 5/3/1
Bench 5 x 5 x 80%

Deadlift 5/3/1
Squat 5 x 5 @ 80

This way you’re hitting each lift twice a week. You could also do Bench 5/3/1 then bench 5 x 5 @ 80 on the same days

or if it’s your squat that’s hung up

Do 5/3/1 total body 3 x a week. You squat 3 days.

Have you tried FSL instead of BBB for just squats to see if it made a difference?

There are dozens of different templates and supplemental work to choose from - that’s why I’ve wrote the Beyond book. Check out the dozens of variations and choose the one that most interests you.

Dear All, many thanks for taking the time to advise.

I’ll switch the press to DL day.

I did try FSL when Jim’s book first came out, but I felt the higher reps of BBB helped keep my form dialled in. I don’t really change the assistance much, as I felt it was less important than the 531 sets, but maybe that was wrong. Is 5x5 @80 is a better option for bringing up the main lifts than using lighter weights?

Having reread the book, I think I’ll try the 531 for strength template (the 351 variant) with FSL or the 5x5@80 for assistance and see if it makes me better.

Thanks!

[quote]TX iron wrote:
Howdy doc,

How often do you switch up assistance work? [/quote]

Essentially never, I do lots of chins, GHRs and some power cleans plus the BBB @60. Is changing it around an important aspect of keeping progress going? I hadn’t appreciated that.

[quote]DrJimmy wrote:

[quote]TX iron wrote:
Howdy doc,

Essentially never, I do lots of chins, GHRs and some power cleans plus the BBB @60. Is changing it around an important aspect of keeping progress going? I hadn’t appreciated that.
[/quote]

I mean the exercises listed are fine, but always doing them within the same rep range or with the same weight doesn’t leave much room for adaptation. Jim often recommends switching up every 2 cycles.

[quote]DrJimmy wrote:

[quote]TX iron wrote:
Howdy doc,

[/quote]

It’s not - I recommend switching it up as it allows people to add some variety. It’s NOT A BIG DEAL.