Staley's Here Till 6 PM Pacific

Which is pretty cool when you stop to think about it. So fire away T-Citizens…

Hey Charles,

In the Calves and Forearm Roundtable a while back you mentioned a calf program you followed to recover from an Achilles tendonitis. I believe you said you did 3x10 of single leg calf raises every day. Do you have any more details about the routine you followed? Time under tension, rest between sets, etc. Sounds like something good while watching TV instead of being just a couch potato.

Thanks…

I did 3x12 or 3x15 depending on how I felt, pretty much every day, it averaged 5-6 days a week. Tempo was simply a 5 second lowering phase, and the cycle started with bodyweight only, and I gradually progressed to wearing a 40-lb X-Vest. Other than that, the only other thing I can add is that I focused on full ROM on each rep.

Hope that helps you out…

[quote]AngryVader wrote:
Hey Charles,

In the Calves and Forearm Roundtable a while back you mentioned a calf program you followed to recover from an Achilles tendonitis. I believe you said you did 3x10 of single leg calf raises every day. Do you have any more details about the routine you followed? Time under tension, rest between sets, etc. Sounds like something good while watching TV instead of being just a couch potato.

Thanks…
[/quote]

Charles,

Do you like Yoga? How about Scott Sonnon’s circular strength stuff? Clubbells, dynamic rom stuff/mobility versus static stretching, sophistication of movement, etc?

The only thing along these lines that I’ve found to be useful is the Z-Health system developed by Dr. Eric Cobb. You can learn more by going to:

[quote]BPC wrote:
Charles,

Do you like Yoga? How about Scott Sonnon’s circular strength stuff? Clubbells, dynamic rom stuff/mobility versus static stretching, sophistication of movement, etc?[/quote]

[quote]CharlesStaley wrote:
I did 3x12 or 3x15 depending on how I felt, pretty much every day, it averaged 5-6 days a week. Tempo was simply a 5 second lowering phase, and the cycle started with bodyweight only, and I gradually progressed to wearing a 40-lb X-Vest. Other than that, the only other thing I can add is that I focused on full ROM on each rep.

Hope that helps you out…

AngryVader wrote:
Hey Charles,

Thanks…

[/quote]

High rep for calves huh? fan of gastroc only low rep(under 3) workouts?

Only for the purposes of eccentric tendinitis resolution. Othewise, brief, maximal tensions are the way to go…

[quote]High rep for calves huh? fan of gastroc only low rep(under 3) workouts?
[/quote]

Charles,

Did you ever wind up getting in touch with Dr. Steinmann on this? The guy really knows his stuff; I wish I could have chatted with him a bit more at NEACSM.

Hope that helps you out…
[/quote]

I didn’t, but now that you mention it, I need to do that! (Thanks for the slides also, very much appreciated!)

[quote]Eric Cressey wrote:
Charles,

Did you ever wind up getting in touch with Dr. Steinmann on this? The guy really knows his stuff; I wish I could have chatted with him a bit more at NEACSM.

CharlesStaley wrote:

Hope that helps you out…

[/quote]

I just had a brainstorm. How about EDT principals applied to HITT. Say 5 minutes to cover as much distance as possible. (So walking as you rest counts too).

This could be good stuff . . . and it was all my idea . . . mwa ha ha

[quote]NateN wrote:
I just had a brainstorm. How about EDT principals applied to HITT. Say 5 minutes to cover as much distance as possible. (So walking as you rest counts too).

This could be good stuff . . . and it was all my idea . . . mwa ha ha [/quote]

You mean HIIT? I wanna know too. But I tried it somewhat. And it turned into (I believe) catabolic almost aerobic sessions. I kept total duration the same and decreased the rest / increased the work. I was using a piece of stationary equipment (step mill) but on max effort level.

I believe the way to do it would be to keep the rest / work ratio the same (as prescribed recently by CW in I think the leg training article) and increase the intensity —> X-VEST!

BFG

One of my standard segments is what I call the “timed mile.” First time out, you just locomote a mile…walk, run, jog, cartwheels, whatever you want. Note and record your time. next time out, beat your PR. Simple, and (eventually) painful.

[quote]NateN wrote:

This could be good stuff . . . and it was all my idea . . . mwa ha ha [/quote]

What if the rule also was you are only allowed to run if you are recovered enough to run really fast. Kind of mimics the idea of using the same weight throughout a PR Zone. That way it won’t degenerate into jogging.
Can’t believe I called it HITT. Der.

[quote]BFG wrote:
NateN wrote:

This could be good stuff . . . and it was all my idea . . . mwa ha ha

You mean HIIT? I wanna know too. But I tried it somewhat. And it turned into (I believe) catabolic almost aerobic sessions. I kept total duration the same and decreased the rest / increased the work. I was using a piece of stationary equipment (step mill) but on max effort level.

I believe the way to do it would be to keep the rest / work ratio the same (as prescribed recently by CW in I think the leg training article) and increase the intensity —> X-VEST!

BFG[/quote]

Neat stuff. I wonder if you had an individual do this, and eventaully they figured out the exact pattern and speeds that allows them to go the distance the fastest. (Although I guess this would change as the person trains).

I wonder if that same pattern would transfer over to his PR Zones. Percentage of all-out sprint speed become %rm, time spent running versus resting becoming lifting and resting, etc.

One of my standard segments is what I call the “timed mile.” First time out, you just locomote a mile…walk, run, jog, cartwheels, whatever you want. Note and record your time. next time out, beat your PR. Simple, and (eventually) painful.

[/quote]

It does teach you a lot about pace, I can tell you that. Whenever you tightly monitor volume and duration, you learn how to perform better…

[quote]NateN wrote:
Neat stuff. I wonder if you had an individual do this, and eventaully they figured out the exact pattern and speeds that allows them to go the distance the fastest. (Although I guess this would change as the person trains).

I wonder if that same pattern would transfer over to his PR Zones. Percentage of all-out sprint speed become %rm, time spent running versus resting becoming lifting and resting, etc.

CharlesStaley wrote:
[/quote]

OK kids, that’ll have to be a wrap for tonight! I’ll catch back up with you later in the week…