STALEY PRIMED FOR 9/14/05

Hmm, my Prime Time Thread just up and dissepeared! So let’s try this again!

Questions anyone?

I thought I was hallucinating for a minute there, or that those black helicopters had landed!

I have one or two for ya.

1. When’s your new book coming out? I want it!

2. Doing EDT with compound movements, should I wait 5 days before working the same movement, or 7 days? Or even more?

[quote]GhostOfYourMind wrote:

In about 2 weeks, can’t wait!

1. Doing EDT with compound movements, should I wait 5 days before working the same movement, or 7 days? Or even more?[/quote]

I’d wait until you have at least one day of no soreness

Hey Coach,

I had an interesting discussion with a colleague. He is considering joining the military and had some questions for me about basic training. (Ex soldier). He want to join in almost exactly one year and wanted to know how best to prepare.

I told him that running is necessary, but over emphasized. I recommended that he get his relative strength up and then focus on heavy loaded hiking, then on muscular endurance and lastly on running.

One strategy might be to focus for a couple or a few months on bringing up relative strength ala EDT for strength. Then add some hiking to the mix starting with 80 pounds on your back and go for a walk every other day. Once the miles got high (maybe 8), or after a couple to a few more months (which ever comes first), add the muscular endurance training. Then lastly, maybe four months out, start the running routine.

Does this sound okay? I’m really curious as to how you’d train someone who should increase all the above mentioned qualities.

Cheers,
Rolo.

Of course there are many approaches that can and would work, but I happen to basically like your plan as outlined here. Only difference is that I’d have more of a concurrent emphasis of ther various qualities.

[quote]Mastermind wrote:
Hey Coach,

I had an interesting discussion with a colleague. He is considering joining the military and had some questions for me about basic training. (Ex soldier). He want to join in almost exactly one year and wanted to know how best to prepare.

I told him that running is necessary, but over emphasized. I recommended that he get his relative strength up and then focus on heavy loaded hiking, then on muscular endurance and lastly on running.

One strategy might be to focus for a couple or a few months on bringing up relative strength ala EDT for strength. Then add some hiking to the mix starting with 80 pounds on your back and go for a walk every other day. Once the miles got high (maybe 8), or after a couple to a few more months (which ever comes first), add the muscular endurance training. Then lastly, maybe four months out, start the running routine.

Does this sound okay? I’m really curious as to how you’d train someone who should increase all the above mentioned qualities.

Cheers,
Rolo.[/quote]

[quote]Charles Staley wrote:
GhostOfYourMind wrote:

In about 2 weeks, can’t wait!

1. Doing EDT with compound movements, should I wait 5 days before working the same movement, or 7 days? Or even more?

I’d wait until you have at least one day of no soreness

[/quote]

Thanks Coach Staley. I guess throwing in active recovery or recovery aids like cryotherapy and epsom salt baths would help as well?

[quote]Charles Staley wrote:
Of course there are many approaches that can and would work, but I happen to basically like your plan as outlined here. Only difference is that I’d have more of a concurrent emphasis of ther various qualities.

Mastermind wrote:
Hey Coach,

Cheers,
Rolo.

[/quote]

Hi guys. I’d like to chime in here. I spent 10 years in the Army. Got out as a Captain. I was Ranger, Airborne, Air Assault, Pathfinder and Jungle Expert.

Have your boy focus on pushups, situps and the two mile run. The U.S. Army website posts the standards for the PT test. He needs to do everything he can to max it. Promotions will come easier - actually, most of Army life will be far easier if you can max the test.

As far as humping a ruck goes, you’ll never really do it much in basic.

What MOS is he going in as? That may make a difference as to what he needs to be able to do.

Coach, I realize this is probably a little weird for you to hear someone on this forum recommend situps, but, well, you know… it’s the gubmint.

You might recommend some strategies that would improve the number of situps you can do without actually doing situps… Does that make sense?

Also, your feet are held down so work with a partner or a sofa or something.

Find someone in the gym with an Army shirt on and have them critique your pushup form.

Hope that helps. Have your boy PM me if he needs more. I’m happy to help.

RB

Rubberbubba,{LOL}

Don’t mean to hijack the thread, but what would be your ideal Army PT test?

I was a lowly Reservist once and what RB says is exactly right. The Army PT test, assuming he’s going Army, is push ups, sit ups, run 2 miles. Whether the test actually measures the strength qualities needed on the battlefield is irrelevant. Get the max on each event and life will be good.

Here are my observations from when I was in. Your buddy’s mileage may vary.

Relative strength - Will help on the push ups. Doing bench and row EDT style for a 15 min PR zone will help. The row is mostly to prevent strength imbalances.

Sit ups - These just suck. Honestly, the only thing that helped my sit ups was lots of sit ups.

Running - Get a good base. I actually got up to running about 4 miles. Anything above that is probably overkill. Once he can go 4 miles, do quarter mile intervals to build speed. Intervals really helped get my two mile time down.