T Nation

Stairmaster

With respect to bodybuilding, a buddy of mine claims that doing 10 minutes of stairmaster (at a high setting at the end of his workout 6 days a week) is superior and safer than HIIT or sprinting 2-3 days/week. I say no way!

What say you?

I’ll bump this because I was wondering the same thing.

First let’s define out terms.

Stairmaster = escalator from hell. Not one of those pedal thingies. Simply a programmable escalator.

I would say that it is not instead of HIIT - it is HIIT. I use it on the FatBurn+ setting, currenty at Level 6 plus kick it up a notch when I think I can take it.

You have two initial peaks to warm up, a long slow increasingly difficult incline, then a series of steep hills to finish off.

A bonus is that you can change intensity levels on the fly, and the machine will average out your results.

I have never used anything in a gym that gives me a more thorough and intense cardiovascular workout. At the end, I am literally drenched, with the sweat just running of off me. It feels fantastic.

For the last 7 months i have been doing 20 minutes at the end of every workout, and the results are great.

Uhh they’re good for doing dips on. I can’t think of anything else I’d use a stairmaster for.

[quote]hankr wrote:

Stairmaster = escalator from hell. Not one of those pedal thingies. Simply a programmable escalator.

I would say that it is not instead of HIIT - it is HIIT. I use it on the FatBurn+ setting, currenty at Level 6 plus kick it up a notch when I think I can take it.

You have two initial peaks to warm up, a long slow increasingly difficult incline, then a series of steep hills to finish off.

A bonus is that you can change intensity levels on the fly, and the machine will average out your results.

I have never used anything in a gym that gives me a more thorough and intense cardiovascular workout. At the end, I am literally drenched, with the sweat just running of off me. It feels fantastic.

For the last 7 months i have been doing 20 minutes at the end of every workout, and the results are great.[/quote]

Thanks for the feedback.

Exactly what are your results?

[quote]Eric Cartman wrote:
hankr wrote:

For the last 7 months i have been doing 20 minutes at the end of every workout, and the results are great.

Thanks for the feedback.

[/quote]

On 7/13/06 I was 236 at 5" 11". Still carrying some muscle from several years of heavy lifting in the late 90s but a real fat ass.
I have been hitting the weights 45 min with 60s rest between sets, sometimes no rest between exercises in a superset.
Follow this with the Stairmaster climb.
Diet for the most part along Berardi’s PN plan - although I cheat a lot. The fat keeps falling off, so why not? I think I am aroung 80 % compliance.

Currently 201.5 have lost a LOT of fat. Almost as strong as I was at my best, SO I know I have put on some muscle as well. I will be testing this with TB deadlifts over the next few months.

I can’t emphasize too strongly how damn good the SM makes me feel. At the end I am completely drained. There is actually a kind of high that kicks in about minute 15 on the thing, and it carries over for the hour or so afterwards.

I would pay the 50 / month to keep my gym membership if that was all I did there. I would buy one for the house, but it is very tall - not sure it would fit in the basement.

[quote]hankr wrote:

I would say that it is not instead of HIIT - it is HIIT. …[/quote]

I agree. Those things are brutal. No comparison to the other kind.

[quote]hankr wrote:
Eric Cartman wrote:
hankr wrote:

Thanks for the feedback.

On 7/13/06 I was 236 at 5" 11". Still carrying some muscle from several years of heavy lifting in the late 90s but a real fat ass.
I have been hitting the weights 45 min with 60s rest between sets, sometimes no rest between exercises in a superset.
Diet for the most part along Berardi’s PN plan - although I cheat a lot. The fat keeps falling off, so why not? I think I am aroung 80 % compliance.

Currently 201.5 have lost a LOT of fat. Almost as strong as I was at my best, SO I know I have put on some muscle as well. I will be testing this with TB deadlifts over the next few months.

I can’t emphasize too strongly how damn good the SM makes me feel. At the end I am completely drained. There is actually a kind of high that kicks in about minute 15 on the thing, and it carries over for the hour or so afterwards.

I would pay the 50 / month to keep my gym membership if that was all I did there. I would buy one for the house, but it is very tall - not sure it would fit in the basement.

[/quote]

hankr sums it up well. I could not agree more with this assessment. The SM kicks some serious tail. You have to know how to use it however. I think your idea of 10 min after your workout is a really good one.

You could also do 5 2:00 “sprint” sessions. With 1 min rest in between.

Good luck.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
hankr wrote:

I would say that it is not instead of HIIT - it is HIIT. …

I agree. Those things are brutal. No comparison to the other kind.[/quote]

My current gym doesn’t have one (only the pussy-style steppers). A real Stairmaster (without holding the rails) can kick almost anyone’s butt. Sadly, you don’t see them around much because they’re “too hard” for most commercial gyms :frowning: .

[quote]hankr wrote:
Eric Cartman wrote:
hankr wrote:

Thanks for the feedback.

[/quote]

Cool!! I am convinced! I’ll give it a shot.

The stairclimber (one that looks like real steps) not the stairmaster (two little petals) is the greatest cardio equipment. Not only do you get a fantastic cardio work out from it (burning more calories per hour than running on the treadmill, biking or using that stupid elliptical) you also work your legs like crazy.

A sensation you won’t get from a ski like machine. I’ve had a lot of my clients achieve great results with the stairclimber …implemented into a circuit type work out or used in addition to their weight training. I say try it… you’ll hate it, but love the results!!!

so if one does not have a real stairmaster available, (I have been mistakingly using one of those pedal things), what would be the best way to implement a short cardio session after a workout? (preferably one that focuses on losing some fat while in a bulking stage)

[quote]jimmyjames66 wrote:
so if one does not have a real stairmaster available, (I have been mistakingly using one of those pedal things), what would be the best way to implement a short cardio session after a workout? (preferably one that focuses on losing some fat while in a bulking stage) [/quote]

HIIT!

[quote]needinghelp wrote:
jimmyjames66 wrote:
so if one does not have a real stairmaster available, (I have been mistakingly using one of those pedal things), what would be the best way to implement a short cardio session after a workout? (preferably one that focuses on losing some fat while in a bulking stage)

HIIT![/quote]

dont know much about HIIT, got a link?