T Nation

Stabilizer Rant

I know recently there was a big thread for people to bitch about anything they wanted to bitch about, but I thought this needed its own thread…

stabilizer muscles (or core muscles, however the fuck you wanna say it)

This shit pisses me off. Everywhere you go in a gym nowadays thats ALL you hear about.

“Y’know, you should do more work with swiss balls, they work your stabilizer muscles really good.”

“Wow, look at those gymnasts, they must have some pretty strong core muscles.”

“If you notice when I give you gay anal sex, Fabio, I can lift my legs and arms in the air at the same time and hold it for a few seconds. Thats because I have strong stabilizer muscles.”

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A FUCKING STABILIZER MUSCLE!!! Look on an anatomy chart, do you see “stabilizer muscle” bitch?? Well do you?? No, because there isn’t such a thing. Call it by its proper fucking name: abdominals (not very specific but more specific than ‘core’), obliques, spinal erectors, etc.

I swear to god, if I hear one more twit whose been training for 6 months tell me that I should do more swiss ball work because it’ll strengthen my stabilizer muscles, I’ll go fuckin insane! I’ll probably rip off his head and bash it on the ground or some shit…“HOW ARE THOSE STABILIZER MUSCLES WORKIN FOR YA NOW, BITCH!!! HUH? I CAN’T HEAR YOU!!!”

…Phwew, I feel a lot better now.

No, there’s not specific muscles designated as stabilizers, but muscles do act as stabilizers, and it’s perfectly legit to call them such if that’s their function in a given movement.

Pick your battles- I can understand being annoyed with the sugguestions of “in the know” lifters, but why get so hyped about the generalization of different muscle groups. Take time to chill- read the Weekend of strength article- there is a good metaphor about problems in it. Limiting stress is a positive for lifting and life in general.

I think chrismcl has been in the same room with his farts for too long! Oxygen! Get the man oxygen!

I think that was pretty funny.

And seriously now, most FREE weight exercises are going to build your “stabilizer” muscles anyway.

Whatever bro…I’m gonna go do cock pushups on my swiss ball.

Time to work those stabilizers.

-Xen

[quote]Xen Nova wrote:
Whatever bro…I’m gonna go do cock pushups on my swiss ball.

Time to work those stabilizers.

-Xen[/quote]

Wideguys brother no doubt…

Can anyone point me in the direction of a good bulk routine for my stabilizers? I want to establish enormous stabilizer muscles.

Working out on a ball does more for your core than Squats or Deads?

I dont think so!

There is a great article in M.H.& F. this month on building huge stabilizers.
It reports that you can build hugh stabilizers, and have great supercharged sex with them.It doesn’t say anything about having sex with women though.

I also remember reading an article in a scientific journal recently (not Men’s Health) and they had 2 groups of people who either did nothing or trained with a Swiss ball training program for 6 weeks or so. They tested certain measures of strength and athleticism before and after the trial period. They found that the only thing that Swiss ball training helped…was Swiss ball training. Their lifts didn’t go up, their %BF didn’t go down, their 40yd dash times didn’t drop, nothing, except they got better working with Swiss balls.

I’ll have to dig up that article again and post it sometime.

[quote]mindeffer01 wrote:
There is a great article in M.H.& F. this month on building huge stabilizers.
It reports that you can build hugh stabilizers, and have great supercharged sex with them.It doesn’t say anything about having sex with women though.[/quote]

This could be convenient for those Dry Spells.

I am trying to stabilize my stablizer muscles but I dont have anything to stabilize their stabiliztion with.

Ball=fad. Don’t like fads.

This thread is starting to become the new “funniest thread”.

reconbyfire,
to stabilize the stabilizers, they must be attatched to bone.Otherwise your skeleton gets all crazy looking like the beast from the old horror flick PUMPKINHEAD. Or even worse the bug wearing skin in Men in Black.
The only way to rectify this is to put a wobble board on top of a swiss ball and do cartwheels up the steps of an M.C. Escher print.

[quote]mindeffer01 wrote:
The only way to rectify this is to put a wobble board on top of a swiss ball and do cartwheels up the steps of an M.C. Escher print.[/quote]

Dude, you would get like, such a total pump from this. And if you took a double dose of NO2 before your workout, you’d be SOO jacked!

Escher-Jacked. The new Ultimate Workout.

I agree with the idea that stabilizer training has become THE fashionable training quote, however I do not agree that training with a swiss ball (in conjunction with heavy lifting)is a waste of time. I have a fractured vertebrae from playing rugby and without the rehab afforded by using a swiss ball there is no way I would be back lifting as heavy as I do. Its all about lifting smart and heavy.

[quote]chrismcl wrote:
mindeffer01 wrote:
The only way to rectify this is to put a wobble board on top of a swiss ball and do cartwheels up the steps of an M.C. Escher print.

Dude, you would get like, such a total pump from this. And if you took a double dose of NO2 before your workout, you’d be SOO jacked![/quote]

And you could tone your muscles, too :slight_smile: