T Nation

Stabilizer muscles

What are the names of the muscles used as stabilizers while doing full ass to the mat squats?

I am asking because, i need to make them stronger to improve my balance for better squat form and sport related use.

It might be easier to list the few muscles not involved in stabilizing your squat. Training each stabilizer individually is probably impossible.

Yeah but still knowing what they actually are might be helpful in finding ways to improve my balance.

For starters work on your glutes, hams, lower back and abs. Then if you have time you might want to hit your hip flexors and quads, as well as your shoulders and calfs. :slightly_smiling:

Problem with balance while squatting might have many causes but I think it's mostly caused by lack of flexibility.

Look up some streching program here and you should improve your squat. To strengthen your abs might also help.

I think the best thing for you to do is to get some experienced squatter watch you squat and correct possible problems regarding form etc..

In an "Ass to the grass" Squat, you actually be surprised how little your core muscles can fire because of the extreme tension that's created in your larger muscle groups. Even still 'Stabalizer' muscles is a pretty vague term and I'm not sure if it's core, hip, knee or spinal stabalizers that you're curious about.

Generally, if you have trouble with balance, it's a hip weakness or tightness.

If you can get that low, but find you fall backward, you may need to strengthen you hamstrings and stretch your glutes.

It's really tough to say though, considering the term 'balance' is also very vague. Perhaps more information would help someone help you.

Poor balance during squats is more of a form issue which can be improved by using proper squat technique and possible flexibility issues, but rarely a strength issue. As for balance in sport, this not very trainable. Most balance issues are developed before puberty. Try teaching an adult who's never ridden a bicycle as a child how to, and you'll see what I mean. The performance improvements: time training ratio is not favourable. That time would be better spent doing other things. One of my clients is a figure skater and we do very little for balance, yet balance is very important in this sport however you must understand that the best way to improve this aspect is to practice the sport. If you want to become better at a sport, practice the sport. If you want to become better conditioned, hit the gym, but don't think that working out in the gym is going to make you better at your sport skills. Too many people try to combine the two thinking that the gains will spill over. It doesn't work that way.

Well when i do squats i have a tendency to swing sideways and cheat when pushing the weight back up. My back ends up going too far back and upper body trying to take over the movement. Happens nearly everytime. Sometimes my feet even move.

This very odd because last year when i was at 189-92 pounds and in better shape i had no such trouble doing squats, now at 177-79 and not as active as before i seem to be struggling with the squats more than ever before.

I realize this might have alot to do with the fact that i didnt do any squats or proper training besides basketball, for a period of nearly six months and it might seem i am pushing myself too hard to get back into shape and boost my ego but i am not. I am not putting any more than two plates on the bars.

As there isnt a massive decrease in size of my major muscles i am having trouble finding out why this is happening. Hence the question about which stabilizer muscle could it be arose.

If you can't do a squat with proper form with 'two plates' then put two smaller plates on. you say it's not about ego, well, what is it about? drop the weight, and just get your form right. if you hurt yourself doing it wrong, or get your body accustomed to the wrong form (forming those connections in your brain/muscles) then you're gonna have an even harder time fixing it. stop now and lower the weight. go down to perhaps, 135 or even less if necessary and get it right, then go back up. forget what you used to do for a little bit, or use it as a goal. you'll progress fast enough. use a digital video if you can, and folks on here can help you with form. the only way to truly work the stabilizers for an exercise is by doing it! LOL.