T Nation

Stability Training

“Entertainment” Training BS

Alright, many threads have been posted on Bosu Ball training, Swiss Balls, Balance Boards and much more. Many articles have been written on the pros and cons. I want to get to the bottom of this, I’m tired of trying to explain to all the uneducated fools on what core strength/stability really is and how to train for it effectively.

Thanks to guys like Poliquin with one of his latest articles where he?s letting it all out when it comes to as he calls it “Entertainment” Training and paints a vivid picture for us as to why it may not be such a great thing bouncing around on those things.

Before you guys start with the whole “there is the right time and place in ones training program for these tools to be used” and “it’s a great tool in your tool box to have” stuff. Buttom line is that it is an idea that has been taking too far and we need to get this point across.

What bugs me the most is when someone especially personal trainers try to prove you wrong by telling you that the NHL teams “Strength & Conditioning” coaches uses all these tools all the time, so they must be great. Once these uneducated trainers/trainees have such evidence they think that it is a great tool and must be used so they spend all their time training their clients on them! Why I’m so frustrated with this is because I have clients that come to me with that perception of “core” training and that it must be done on the bosu.

I’ve read some great articles here on T-Nation on such topic, lets post all the links related to this topic here since some articles don’t get bookmarked in our favorites. Maybe we can even get some of our coaches like Eric Cressey and Mike Robertson to post a few pros and cons on this topic exclusively on this thread?

Thanks

Its funny that Poliquin calls it entertainment traiing. I’ve seen him reccomend incline 1 arm swiss ball cable flyes for a discus thrower.

Whats the problem wih using a dura disc or BOSU for ankle stabiliy?

Poliquin’s just being a doosh bag.

[quote]Russhyn wrote:
Maybe we can even get some of our coaches like Cressey and Mike to post a few pros and cons on this topic exclusively on this thread?
[/quote]

How about I just write an entire book? :slight_smile:

*Hint of what’s to come in 2007…

www.EricCressey.com

Sounds like a cool idea Eric.

I for one am all for the whole stability thing. I cant do bar dips coz they hurt my shoulder, but I can do ring dips. I shake a whole lot doing them, but no pain.

Is that entertainment trainng? After all I can do more dips on a bar, just hurts a bit.

Eric, thank you for this!

Can’t wait to read it!

I Might be coming down to attend your seminar at Mike Boyle’s performance center on the 10th of February. It’s a 10h drive for me, but I think I’ll be there, if I can get my passport ready on time!

When is the Building your Building Efficient Athlete DVD set coming out???

[quote]DeadOnArrival wrote:

Poliquin’s just being a doosh bag.[/quote]

Poliquin is one of the best in this game.

Ankle is one of the joints in the body that needs more Mobility work than Stability.

If Poliquin recommended something on a Swiss ball or the Bosu, i’m sure it was done with an intelligent explanation as to why.

What I’m seeing around the gyms today is, people spending full 1 hour + on the Bosu and the balance boards with shitty form. I see trainers working with their athletes every single session with these toys, because they don’t know any better.

[quote]Russhyn wrote:
DeadOnArrival wrote:

Poliquin’s just being a doosh bag.

Poliquin is one of the best in this game.

Ankle is one of the joints in the body that needs more Mobility work than Stability.

If Poliquin recommended something on a Swiss ball or the Bosu, i’m sure it was done with an intelligent explanation as to why.

What I’m seeing around the gyms today is, people spending full 1 hour + on the Bosu and the balance boards with shitty form. I see trainers working with their athletes every single session with these toys, because they don’t know any better. [/quote]

I know Poliquin is good, I take alot of what he says on board. I was under the impression the dura discs and bosu’s are used to improve proprioception. If it can be explained to me that this is bullshit then I’ll gladly take that on board.

I see a lot of Poliquins attacks on these trainers as personal attacks on Paul Chek. Once friends, but now apparent enemies. I can see they both have something good to offer.

Not Eric, but if you’re not already you need to sign up for our newsletters - we’ll be announcing it there first, and it should be ready for sale within the next seven days!

Stay strong
MR

www.RobertsonTrainingSystems.com

[quote]Russhyn wrote:

When is the Building your Building Efficient Athlete DVD set coming out???[/quote]