St. Patrick's Month

Well, it’s finally fucking here, my holiday of holidays, my favorite time of the year, St Patrick’s Month.

In NJ, every town has a parade, and because the day often falls during the week, many of them are over the course of the next two weeks. And today it begins, so there’s no doubt that I’m going to be drowning in streams of Jameson by about 3 oclock today.

Anyone else love this fucking holiday?

I learn’t too love it through the missus her being Irish, but i spent a SP’s day in new york last year and goddamn do you americans take it way more seriously than the irish, i understand pluralism is encouraged in america but sheesh it was crazy everyone was suddenly freaking irish.

anyway sláinte

fuck. my friends and i miss st. patrick’s day every year. this year i could actually get drunk on this day, but i got so wasted last week that i simpy got disguisted with myself and alcohol…well there’s always next year.

[quote]Wayland wrote:
I learn’t too love it through the missus her being Irish, but i spent a SP’s day in new york last year and goddamn do you americans take it way more seriously than the irish, i understand pluralism is encouraged in america but sheesh it was crazy everyone was suddenly freaking irish.

anyway sláinte[/quote]

Never been to the states, let alone during paddy’s day, so I don’t know first-hand what goes on over there.
Here ppl dnt really pay all that much attention, paddys day is another day used as an excuse to drink more, like a tuesday or something.
Only for one day of the year, the pints are green!

[quote]Wayland wrote:

anyway sláinte[/quote]

NYC is the best place possibly besides Boston for St. Patty’s. Wild and crazy, I’ve seen more insanity there than anywhere else.

[quote]Wayland wrote:

anyway sláinte[/quote]

Seriously, come St. Patrick’s Day, everyone I know will throw on some green and suddenly sprout some Irish roots.

It’s almost disgusting.

[quote]Vicomte wrote:
Wayland wrote:

anyway sláinte

Seriously, come St. Patrick’s Day, everyone I know will throw on some green and suddenly sprout some Irish roots.

It’s almost disgusting.[/quote]

That’s the one thing I hate about st.paddy’s day - everybody claims Irish roots on the day…it wud be like me claiming to be chinees on chinees new year each year.
Fair ebought if ppl want to part-take, but some go too far…

[quote]Vicomte wrote:
Wayland wrote:

anyway sláinte

It’s almost disgusting.[/quote]

It’s no more disgusting than Christmas or Thanksgiving.

I guess the difference is I actually enjoy Saint Patrick’s Day.

[quote]rock27 wrote:
Only for one day of the year, the pints are green![/quote]

I’ve still never seen green pints over here, just the traditional piss-poor parade through the local town and I tend to associate Paddy’s day more with teenagers 15-15 year olds acting hammered after two cans than anyhting else really

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
Well, it’s finally fucking here, my holiday of holidays, my favorite time of the year, St Patrick’s Month.

In NJ, every town has a parade, and because the day often falls during the week, many of them are over the course of the next two weeks. And today it begins, so there’s no doubt that I’m going to be drowning in streams of Jameson by about 3 oclock today.

Anyone else love this fucking holiday?[/quote]

WE just had Mardi Gras. You guys are slow.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:

[/quote]

Month? Why ‘month’? Its a day. Excuse to get hammered for a month?

First of all, I just want to sing… Hoist up the John B sails! I love this song. I feel so broke up, I wanna go home. Americans love to claim Irish, especially on the drinking holiday… who doesn’t want to have one or ten with an excuse. We all do.

I married a real Irishman. He’s about as straight as they come. I drink far more. People underestimate the repression they feel. The real Irish I mean. I’m still teaching him to drive and to swim. To look people in the eye when he speaks. You think they are a nation of drinking fools, but they are a nation of writers and singers from so far back. Born from repression. So far forward, but so far back just the same. Lovely. Irish is beauty.

[quote]Jereth127 wrote:
rock27 wrote:

I’ve still never seen green pints over here, just the traditional piss-poor parade through the local town and I tend to associate Paddy’s day more with teenagers 15-15 year olds acting hammered after two cans than anyhting else really[/quote]

Yup, got a few bout last couple of march 17th’s in cork…

if ya can’t shamrock shakes in mcdonalds mixed with vodka is the next best thing!!

[quote]Molotov_Coktease wrote:
I married a real Irishman. He’s about as straight as they come. I drink far more. People underestimate the repression they feel. The real Irish I mean. I’m still teaching him to drive and to swim. To look people in the eye when he speaks. You think they are a nation of drinking fools, but they are a nation of writers and singers from so far back. Born from repression. So far forward, but so far back just the same. Lovely. Irish is beauty. [/quote]

Eh…? I don’t feel repressed. Like every other Irish person I love to beat the English in everything we can(especially rugby :D), but otherwise you’re taking all that jazz way too seriously…

[quote]rock27 wrote:

if ya can’t shamrock shakes in mcdonalds mixed with vodka is the next best thing!![/quote]

Heh, I actually live in Cobh and I’ve never been in Cork for Paddy’s day. If I’m off work this year I might head on up

[quote]Molotov_Coktease wrote:
First of all, I just want to sing… Hoist up the John B sails! I love this song. I feel so broke up, I wanna go home. Americans love to claim Irish, especially on the drinking holiday… who doesn’t want to have one or ten with an excuse. We all do.

I married a real Irishman. He’s about as straight as they come. I drink far more. People underestimate the repression they feel. The real Irish I mean. I’m still teaching him to drive and to swim. To look people in the eye when he speaks. You think they are a nation of drinking fools, but they are a nation of writers and singers from so far back. Born from repression. So far forward, but so far back just the same. Lovely. Irish is beauty. [/quote]

Have you started drinking already?

i live in boston, i dont have a choice

[quote]rock27 wrote:
Jereth127 wrote:
rock27 wrote:

I’ve still never seen green pints over here, just the traditional piss-poor parade through the local town and I tend to associate Paddy’s day more with teenagers 15-15 year olds acting hammered after two cans than anyhting else really

if ya can’t shamrock shakes in mcdonalds mixed with vodka is the next best thing!![/quote]

i have cousins in Cork

[quote]Jereth127 wrote:
Molotov_Coktease wrote:
I married a real Irishman. He’s about as straight as they come. I drink far more. People underestimate the repression they feel. The real Irish I mean.

I’m still teaching him to drive and to swim. To look people in the eye when he speaks. You think they are a nation of drinking fools, but they are a nation of writers and singers from so far back.

Born from repression. So far forward, but so far back just the same. Lovely. Irish is beauty.

Eh…? I don’t feel repressed. Like every other Irish person I love to beat the English in everything we can(especially rugby :D), but otherwise you’re taking all that jazz way too seriously…

rock27 wrote:

if ya can’t shamrock shakes in mcdonalds mixed with vodka is the next best thing!!

Heh, I actually live in Cobh and I’ve never been in Cork for Paddy’s day. If I’m off work this year I might head on up
[/quote]

Molotov:
This repression shit is a bit stupid to be hearing bout all the time. Sure, we sometimes look forward to playing the English more than others but that has arse-all to do with repression!
And I don’t know what swimming and learning to look ppl in the eye ha to do with being Irish but anywho…

and Jereth:
do ya - cork is a good spot to go out for paddy’s day allright. Used to get the green pints in the Western star, but due to some mostrosity that is closed now. I would think the Thirsty would be the best spot for the green pints, or I would think Bob Fox’s would be a good spot to spend the day this year…

[quote]LiveFromThe781 wrote:
rock27 wrote:
Jereth127 wrote:
rock27 wrote:

i have cousins in Cork[/quote]

cool, have you ever been here yourself?

[quote]rock27 wrote:
Jereth127 wrote:
rock27 wrote:

I was just talking about Shamrock Shakes this morning. Best part of the year, if you ask me.

Anyone remember the custard pies that had around Christmas one year? No one seems to remember. I’ll never forget.