St Johns Wort & HOT-ROX

does anyone know if HOT-ROX is useable whilst supplementing with st johns wort?

The HOT-ROX label suggests not to take with a MAO inhibitor but i cant find a definite conclusion as to wether st johns wort works as MAO inhibitor or not. Does anyone have any ideas?
Thanks

st johns wort is not a MAO inhibitor. MAO inhibitors are a class of drugs used for depression and Parkinson’s Disease. Examples of MAO inhibitors include isocarboxazid (brand name Marplan), phenelzine (Nardil), tranylcypromine (Parnate), and selegiline (Eldepryl).

MAO inhibitors may interact with tyramine, a chemical found in many drugs, foods, and beverages. If you consume foods or alcoholic drinks containing tyramine, a rapid and potentially life-threatening rise in blood pressure can occur that can cause a mild headache while your heart explodes (I hate it when this happens, justs ruins my day). Given the seriousness of this interaction, it’s crucial to be aware of foods and drinks that may interact with MAO inhibitors.

Given your expertise in MAO inhibitors, it would’ve been helpful if you mentioned something about St John’s Wort.

BTW, it’s one of the most potent CYP450 inducers known to man. Simply put, that’s an enzyme that metabolizes drugs. IMHO, St Johns Wort will ATTENUATE the action of HOT-ROX.

thanks for the info guys - much appriciated!

St-John’s Wort has weak MAOI activity both in vitro and in vivo case reports of hypertensive crisis with delirium and flushing and pounding headaches have been reported.

Therefore, its not something I would risk.

AlexH.