SSRIs and Nolvadex

If you are taking any antidepressants (SSRIs) during a cycle you may encounter some problems. Not during the cycle its self but during the PCT. The problem is that SSRIs can prevent the liver from converting Tamoxifen (Nolvadex) into its active form, Endoxifen.

SSRIs block an enzyme known as CYP2D6. Some people have no problems during PCT if they are taking SSRIs, and for some the depression is almost unbearable. I am the second half. During the Cycle I feel great, but PCT is a nightmare. Anyone taking SSRIs and have done a cycle? What was your experience?

Post Cycle Therapy

Nolvadex uses an enzyme â??CYP2D6â?² to convert itself into a more useful form that our bodies can use. Unfortunately many antidepressants also use this same CYP2D6 enzyme, thus you have two medications competing for the same pathway. The problem? Antidepressants have priority on the CYP2D6 enzyme therefore can render Nolvadex to be nearly useless, which could cause serious side effects during our PCT such as Gynecomastia. If youâ??re on an antidepressant and intend on using Nolvadex as your PCT, itâ??s important for you to know which antidepressants will cause issue and if youâ??re on an antidepressant that will inhibit Nolvadex from being functional, you might want to go with Clomid or Fareston (Toremifene Citrate) instead for your PCT. Below is a list provided showing which SSRI & SNRI are strong to moderate inhibitors and those that are not.

Strong Inhibitors

Generic Names Brand Names:
Bupropion Wellbutrin
Fluoxetine Prozac
Paroxetine Paxil
Quinidine Cardioquin

Moderate Inhibitors

Generic Names Brand Names :
Duloxetine Cymbalta
Sertraline Zoloft
Diphenhydramine Benadryl
Thioridazine Mellaril
Amiodarone Cordarone
Trazodone Desyrel
Cimetidine Tagamet

SSRIs and SNRIs That Are Not Inhibitors

Generic Names Brand Names:
Venlavaxine Effexor
Citalopram Celexa
Escitalopram Lexapro

Some research on another very popular (and newish) SNRI named Pristiq (Desvenlafaxine) itâ??s independent of CYP2D6 enzyme therefore shouldnâ??t negatively interact with Nolvadex.

Hope this helps anyone on SSRIs who is planing a cycle or is already on one.

Good stuff. It’s always important to look for drug-drug and drug-supplement interactions. I have taken Luvox(Fluvoxamine) and Zoloft(Sertraline)seperately, at different times, while I was taking Nolvadex and did not have any problems with the Nolva working. I did have problems with severe anxiety and depression while I was on AAS and Luvox and since switching to Zoloft and getting rid of the anxiety/depression, have not had problems with AAS and the Zoloft and the angst. It’s really hard to say though, what factors exactly played into the bout of depression.