Hi Coach. Here’s my situation:
- 53 yrs old—will be 54 in August.
- Had 3 back surgeries in 2 years (last was in Jan 18)and couldn’t train consistently.
- Spent past 8 months getting the feel of things again and getting strength back.
- Want to start a program and bought all your books.SSP looks best to me, but you will know better.
- Deadlifting is out of the question, but I’ve done well with chest-supported rows. Can they substitute for the DL?
- I’ve got to go all machines for now and probably for the duration, but the university gym where I teach has a great assortment, including a pullover machine.
- I need to drop the 20-25 lbs I gained while inactive.
- Along with my strength training, I’ve been walking and riding a stationary bike.
Any suggestions for me with all my limitations? My main goal is to keep the strength I have and drop the weight.
I’m sorry for the length of this post, but I’m finally feeling good again after quite some time of being in pain and being so sedentary. This is, I think, a make or break time for me as I try to roll into older age as strong and lean as I can get. Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer!