T Nation

SSG Bales Trial, Demonizing Steroids

If you’re familiar with the tragic story of an Army Staff Sergeant going ape-shit in Afghanistan and killing I think it was 17 civilians, you may not have heard that it was discovered this Soldier was also using steroids while deployed. A news except I saw on TV said that SSG Bales’ steroid use will play a major role in his defense’ strategy in the upcoming trail. No doubt, the defense will try to use the ‘roid rage’ angle to paint a picture of a regular, stable soldier turned into a psychotic killer because of steroid use.

Ignored will be the fact that this was his fourth combat deployment as an infantryman and the accumulated stress of his occupation could make a lot of people snap. I don’t know what is the better of two outcomes - if he is acquitted because the steroid defense works (maybe it’s similar to an insanity plea - I don’t know enough about law to speak intelligently about this) or if he is found guilty and sentenced to death, leaving behind his wife and three children.

Any thoughts?

That’s the problem with steroids, these people that will be up there in court talking about the roids don’t actually know shit about gear… The prosecution could easily track down his steroid-abuse timeline and figure out that it wasn’t this that made him snap. However, that won’t happen and instead it will be what you said, the defense will claim that he was fucked up on the roids (they get you high as fuck) and killed those poor people…

I’d bet both my shrunken nuts that he won’t get the death penalty.

Steroid’s may make a person aggressive,but psychotic and delusional is way out of a roid rage devfence.

[quote]johnny k53 wrote:
Steroid’s may make a person aggressive,but psychotic and delusional is way out of a roid rage devfence. [/quote]

I also read an article on T-Nation interviewing the director of the documentary “Bigger, Stronger, Faster.” I bought it, watched it, and loved it. The director does a great job of staying neutral, but based upon the facts presented, you can’t help but feel that our politicians don’t know shit about much of the legislation they’re pushing. Case in point - the scene where Cal representative Harry Waxman didn’t even know what’s the legal drinking age in the US? Californians actually voted this jackass into office?

Back to the topic of SSG Bales, I think the only way he avoids the death penalty is if the jury is convinced that his roid rage altered his state of mind and the murders were not pre-meditated. Going back to another scene from Bigger, Stronger, Faster, the stigma of steroids as an evil can run so strong that a father who lost his son to suicide chose to blame the death on steroid use and not his son’s history of depression and his use of anti-depressants. It blows your mind…

[quote]atfkao wrote:

[quote]johnny k53 wrote:
Steroid’s may make a person aggressive,but psychotic and delusional is way out of a roid rage devfence. [/quote]

I also read an article on T-Nation interviewing the director of the documentary “Bigger, Stronger, Faster.” I bought it, watched it, and loved it. The director does a great job of staying neutral, but based upon the facts presented, you can’t help but feel that our politicians don’t know shit about much of the legislation they’re pushing. Case in point - the scene where Cal representative Harry Waxman didn’t even know what’s the legal drinking age in the US? Californians actually voted this jackass into office?

Back to the topic of SSG Bales, I think the only way he avoids the death penalty is if the jury is convinced that his roid rage altered his state of mind and the murders were not pre-meditated. Going back to another scene from Bigger, Stronger, Faster, the stigma of steroids as an evil can run so strong that a father who lost his son to suicide chose to blame the death on steroid use and not his son’s history of depression and his use of anti-depressants. It blows your mind…[/quote]

Ignorance is not only contagious, but it is an easy way out of facing the not so pleasant truth.

SSG Bales was an infantryman who had seen and been part of horrifically violent acts…four different tours worth. It would not be the first time that someone in his shoes lost it. It’s tragic.

The boy who committed suicide had clinical depression. He took heavy duty, brain chemical altering drugs (antidepressants) and instead of helping the depression…it worsened the situation. Unfortunately that is not uncommon, particularly in adolescents. I am speaking from experienceas I myself have been on antidepressants since I was 19. At first they seemed to amplify my depression, but after I adjusted it was the difference between night and day.

I totally with all the opinion’s of our T-Nation. As one gentleman said.Politition’s are not even cognizant of the legal drinking age in his state.!!! My friend and physican is a Colonel in the Canadian armed forces. I ask him.Dr.what’s your opinion? His undiagnoses,unseen (opinion) is a defence along the lines of P.T.S.D. post traumatic stress disorder,and a psychotic break from reality. He also said the man may of Premeditated and executed the act in some bizarre desire to live in history as many other’s have. Anyway i feel sympathy?empathy for the killed and injured,and those familie’s,uncluding the iLL soldier’s.Peeace be to all our men and woman in the service of our countrie’s. U>S>A> and Canada and our allie’s. johnny