T Nation

SS + Sledges and Sandbags

Hello all!

I've been lurking for quite a while, but it's about time I joined up outright. I'll spare you an epic introduction and get right to my first question:

I've recently begun the Starting Strength program and thankfully I'm having no issues with it. I'm looking to add some cardio, though, and I wanted to get some insight on what works and doesn't work.

I ran a search, though the only post with somewhat relevance was something on HIIT + SS, which I am not interested in (it didn't work out for the guy anyway, apparently).

The recent article article "Training Advice for Generation Ent" by Mike Mahler ( http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/training_advice_for_generation_ent ) is appealing to me, though it might be a little too much in the way of "supplemental" lifts. I was thinking about doing it on my off days. Thoughts? Ideas?

My stats are as follows:
Height 6'2"
Weight 180 lbs.
Age 22

As a side note, I feel that my recovery ability is pretty solid. I know that once I start moving more massive weight that will likely change.

Thanks a bunch, and I really look forward to finally participating here!

I’m not sure how that would help you when you might be doing similar lifts the next day.

If you are looking for alternative methods of cardio, pushing cars or a prowler might be better. I also like uphill walking on the treadmill.

There is a lot of upper body work going on with the sledgehammer and sand bag work. You need to allow ample time for recovery. I know you stated that your recovery ability is solid. I guess you could always just try it out and see you can continue to progress or stagnate.

Also, would you be doing this to lose weight or for GPP?
I know personally when I do SS that I need the time off.

Very true about the upper body work; that was my main concern.

I can definitely stand to lose some body fat, I’m in the 18-20%bf range – but I’m definitely not trying to lose weight. Rather, I’m trying to gain. A lot. So while the fat loss is positive side effect, I’m more in it for the GPP.

I think there are more efficient ways (better) to improve your GPP.

http://www.elitefts.com/searchresults/default.asp?cx=004814220091500397253%3Ajc9v3uuh3sg&cof=FORID%3A9&q=gpp&sa=Search#943

Thanks for the link, some good reads there. I’ll have to look into this a little more. I think for now I will finish a few more weeks on SS, then gradually try to incorporate some of this GPP training to test my recovery boundaries. In the meantime I’ll just keep the diet as clean as possible!