SS Gets Rebranded!

Spot on agree with that!

Screenshot of some bookmarks in a folder I call HIT(ish). There are a lot of cookie cutter sites that really offer nothing, but some of these sites have some good SS/HIT (whatever) content.

1 Like

Jay’s channel is “interesting” He’s a real salesman, I’ll give him that. OTOH, he insults his audience, and is a little rough around the edges. I get sucked into his videos without realizing I am.

1 Like

If we’re talking Youtube, two that I really enjoy are Rick Chartrand & Arjan Meijer H.I.T

Arjan gets more out of a set of bands than anyone I have ever seen.

1 Like

D is still like that on fb

1 Like

Not to mention favorable geopolitics. Vietnam was over, and the draft wasn’t a worry for men that age. The cultural turmoil of the 60’s had eased. Tensions with the Soviet Union were also easing, so the threat of nuclear war felt more remote. Inflation was raging, but not typically a concern for 20 year olds. We did have some oil shocks to contend with, and gas was starting to get pricey for those cool muscle cars. But climate change was only beginning to be discussed, so no guilt about that.

2 Likes

I graduated HS in 70 … and the 70’s and 80’s were the days for sure. All my serious interests I planned to pursue once out of school were just waiting for me. Back then all you had to do was act on them ; no restrictive government bullshit - at least not nearly as much as now - to contend with.

The High Tech Age of today is amazing , no doubt about it but though something is gained by it, there is a lot lost too.

Just to use bodybuilding as an example but it goes for all my serious interests, if you wanted to learn more you had to physically go to a bookstore or library, wait for the next installment of someones column in the next magazine or write - with a pen and paper - a letter to someone and hope they would respond - like I did to Roger Schwab, Kevin Tolbert and Dr. Ken. And they all responded :+1:

You physically attended seminars and to see a big title fight live you went and saw closed circut TV like I did the Thrilla in Manilla ( $15.00 ! ) and the Hagler / Hearns fight among others. People thought I was out of my mind spending that kind of money to watch that third Ali and Frazier fight live instead of waiting for it on Wide World of Sports … which to today is still the most exciting sports event I ever saw.

Now you never leave your house if you don’t want to for anything … even have whatever junk food besides pizza delivered to your door. Even order it and they takeout out to your car for you … how fucking lazy can people become ??

So with all this auto everything, no waiting for anything because it’s all instant gratification, I see a lot of character in people being lost or in young people , not even developing.

LOL … don’t get me started … sorry for the rambling … :zipper_mouth_face:

2 Likes

Maybe it was related to this:

1 Like

Thanks Al! It was! I find this very interesting! This is science at the forefront! Question is what we can learn from it?

I spent 1978 stationed at Hahn AB Germany. Great gym there! And the beer was good.

2 Likes

Jay Vincent definitely comes across as a charlatan who charges an unbelievable amount for coaching. With all of the call out videos he does, I would not be surprised if a bigger channel does an expose type video on him. He’s just selling the same HIT and Super Slow that have existed forever, but he markets it like a long forgotten secret to getting huge and jacked. His business model is very similar to Vince Del Monte if anybody remembers him from the late 2000’s.

1 Like

He is definitely WRONG on 2 points

1. cross bridge activities are very complex. Cross bridges occur in milliseconds not seconds. There is no magic in rep speed, as all rep speeds bring results. Even faster reps such as 1/1 seconds are safe. Biggest waste of time ever to figure this out.

2. cardiovascular conditioning.
    Resistance training does not properly condition the heart and blood vessels. Mitochondria are not recruited in the slow twitch fibers to promote fat burning, because weight trading is too brief and does not tax the Kreb’s cycle. This is another long standing lie first propagated by John Little and his fellow publisher Doug McGuff with their global metabolic dogma. What they did was pull one thing out of the Kreb’s cycle (pyruvate) and come to the conclusion that cardiovascular conditioning revolved around this item. Simplistic stupidity resulted. Weight training impedes blood return to the heart, as does intra-thoracic pressure. This leads to incomplete filling of the left ventricle as the body adapts with more left ventricle hypertrophy. Not healthy at all! You would think an ER doctor could figure this out easily. Go figure!
    And now, there is DB, JV , who criticizes Darden, and Josh who seems to have gone rogue! I guess he wasn’t quite ready for a renaissance after all.
    I would never advise anyone to consider HiT as it stands.

1 Like

I actually just got an email today from Drew Baye’s HITlist thing criticizing Darden’s latest program, M3, which was the Surge Challenge. I actually participated in the Surge Challenge and saw good results from it(which I’ve documented), but I guess if it doesn’t fit into Drew’s narrow view of exercise, it’s not valid.

2 Likes

I’ve been wondering what the reception would be for the M3 program in old school HIT circles.

Apparently not good. Surprised he would bash a friend’s work. There’s a weird amount of division in the “HIT Community” between the Super Slow people, the Dorian Yates Blood and Guts style, Mike Mentzer’s Heavy Duty group, and the people who open their training up to more experimentation and variation like Brian Johnston and Ellington Darden. There are so many variations of “HIT” and some people are militaristic about their training being the correct approach and everyone else is training like an idiot and spinning their wheels. I don’t understand that viewpoint. Especially when it comes between a friendship.

3 Likes

I like parts of the SURGE program! The highly branched cyclic dextrin drink seems ok to me. May be questionable for insulin resistance folks and for folks who eat lots of starch, ie a peasant diet.

Furthermore, I like the flutter reps, as most bb’s do nothing but partial reps anyway. This is good also.

1 Like

Agree 100% with this … as long I remember there was a division between HIT advocates unlike any other group. The HIT groups were always this way yet preached the same thing . That was the one thing bothered me about it . One of the main guys I spoke with about HIT at his gym many years ago, laughed about it and agreed that we were all on the same side which was promoting short, intense workouts. He was good friends with the others I was asking about and just said the disagreements were due to strong personality differences.

1 Like

I’m pretty certain Drew worked for Hutchins at one point.

Q1) I don’t know. A 30 year veteran cardiologist M.D. said breaks between exercises and perhaps even heavy reps may be warranted. I spoke to him a few years ago. Board Certified from Emory .
Q2) Stutter reps do not employ a rapid contraction/relaxation phase. Thus, stutter reps do not qualify as proper cardiovascular conditioning protocol. There may be excessive intra-thoracic pressure during stutter reps which would hinder venous return.

I bet JV does not understand venous return. Building strong calf muscles can help venous return to the heart, ie a 2nd heart :heart:

Thanks for this, Dave!

I read Drew’s criticism on his blog, and boy, he has absolutely nothing good to say about Darden’s M3 Pure Muscle. He even contradicts himself by stating there is no science/evidence behind it. Drew seems stuck in yesterday’s ideas. Brave are the few who dares to progress (in HIT terms namely Darden and Johnston, agree upon that).

Looking at two other PhD:s, namely Brad Schoenfeld (Max Muscle Plan) and Scott Stevenson (Fortitude Training) - comparing these programs with Darden’s M3 - you will find similarities though different programs: Not going to failure, pumpreps and/or explosive reps featured, loaded stretches, variation in excercise, and periodization ideas - for example. What differs between the 3 seem to be schedule of periodization, rep-tempos and specific ideas.

M3 seems unique by it’s specific Darden HIT type rep-tempos, focus on the negative and different angles of excercising within a block. Even more volume and a body split routine that differs a lot from previous HIT routines. Not forgetting Surge supplementation.

Anyone please question me if you have different opinions. Too bad Drew Baye isn’t here to defend himself, but he blew his opportunity earlier by insulting people, unfortunately.

That being said, one of the most important things I learned from academic studies, was the ability to think critically. Academic discussions can be heated, and not too far away from the presumtive Baye vs Darden beef. Another, even more valuable asset, is being able to think laterally (and continue trying). These minds are future Nobel Prize winners (many failures later).

I’m very impressed by Dr Darden, who continuously question previous findings, when science or experience proves otherwise. Something for Drew Baye to listen to.

So, where is HIT heading? I believe we are looking at the future right now, where HIT, high volume training and science is meeting up - becoming a hybridization - as in the M3.

2 Likes