T Nation

Squirrel Problem, Seeking Advice

This is a serious issue in my house. Squirrels have chewed a hole in the roof and begun to nest in mid-May. Taking action until now wasn’t recommended since if the mother is trapped or killed the little ones may either die or fall through the cracks while searching for food. Rotting squirrel flesh is quite pungent. Pest control isn’t the best solution since they basically charge $500 to trap the mother.

Anybody else face this problem? Please post suggestions, first one that works, will receive TKO’s prize as pictured.

The following suggestions will be ignored so cut the shit out:

• Hit/kick them
  • Stick it in her pooper
  • Crapping in the skillet
  • Moving elsewhere
  • Poison/Guns

What do you got?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fF1rdqjaiPk&feature=related

Had similar problem. No good answer. Easiest thing to do is shoot it. Since that is out you’re left with trapping and relocating it. Get a live animal trap from the hardware store and try various baits until one works. Relocating is a problem since squirrels tend to come back home. Find some place away from town with abundant food sources so it is less likely to follow you home.

Meanwhile you’ve got to repair your home to prevent future access. Do an internet search for best baits, reproductive months, etc. You definitely want to do this while there are no babies in nest for reasons you stated.

I’m wondering if Mr Ermine would be able to help with this one?

Are bait/poison traps out of the question them?

If it were me maybe set up a few of those glue traps - most stores sell them- around the hole where they’ve burrowed, patch it over when you’re sure they’re none left in there. They’ll be trapped and easily disposed of.

Admittedly not the most humane solution but just remember they’re nothing but rats with bushy tails…

Have you tried one of those fake owl statues? Stick the thing where ever they are coming in and it will either scare them off or they will eat it.

If that doesn’t work just try to make wherever they are has inhospitable as possible. Play loud music, smack the ceiling with a broom, etc. Use your imagination. Most animals tend to dislike fire, how’s your homeowner’s policy?

www.backwoodsbound.com/zsquir.html

squirrel recipes, just in case

[quote]RSGZ wrote:
I’m wondering if Mr Ermine would be able to help with this one?[/quote]

First thing I thought of when I saw the thread title!

Maybe something like this would help?

http://www.critter-repellent.com/squirrel/squirrel-repellent.php

Also, if they get into your attic, I have read that a fast strobe light in there (where you cannot see it but they can) will really bug the shit out of them so they will go elsewhere.

Bought a decent BB gun from Canadian Tire, laid some food out, waited, and offed each one of them as they came to eat.

Thats how we got rid of them at our place

[quote]ab_power wrote:
Bought a decent BB gun from Canadian Tire, laid some food out, waited, and offed each one of them as they came to eat.

Thats how we got rid of them at our place[/quote]

Sweet.

In the US, Animal Control will lend you traps and come and get whatever you catch - except Possum. For some reason, they won’t take a possum.

Somebody mention my name?

squirrels are tasty

I think Chung_Lee would have some good ideas…

[quote]E.Ermine wrote:
Somebody mention my name?[/quote]

Are you still getting it on with MSM?

Put out some ex-lax, and there will no longer be a problem.

[quote]RSGZ wrote:
E.Ermine wrote:

Are you still getting it on with MSM?[/quote]

Haha No. This is why:

Ermine Reproduction

The Ermine is territorial and intolerant of others in its range, especially others of the same sex. Within its range, it typically uses several dens, often taken from prey species. It usually travels alone, except when it is mating and its mating system is promiscuous. Copulation occurs during the mating season with multiple partners. Sometimes it occurs when the female is so young she has not even left the den.

On a serious note…OP, try calling A1 Pest Control and asking them to recommend someone for squirrels. They are a very good local company that a previous employer used to use.

catch them and stick them in the blender along with some eggs and GROW! Whey. hit crushed ice and you’ll get well… crushed ice with squirrel bits floating in it.

[quote]RSGZ wrote:
E.Ermine wrote:

Are you still getting it on with MSM?[/quote]

Don’t you mean S&M? If so move on to SAMA forum.

This is a serious rodent issue. I’ve never tried it myself but Richard Gere told me that a squirrel can be a bigger pain in the ass than a declawed gerbil.