Squeezing Glutes in the Bottom of Squat

Couldnt find a satisfying answer online, so:

Do you have to squeeze your glutes from beginning to end of the squat?

When i do an air squat i can start squeezing my glutes and keep them contracted hard going down and coming up again, but when i use a bar i am not able to keep them contracted in the bottom of the squat.

Is this normal? or should i be working on being able to do this.?

Is it even possible to squeeze your glutes at the bottom of the squat? Nobody was near my office, so I just tried.

No luck. I couldn’t do it.

Could this be the secret to suppressing my involuntary leg press farts?

[quote]Respeezy wrote:
Do you have to squeeze your glutes from beginning to end of the squat?
[/quote]

No.

Oh FFS .

Don’t think about squeezing the glutes alone. Its glutes, hips, and hamstrings. They will all contract when you “screw the floor”.

Ok, clear… i have some glute activation problems so i guess i was over obsessing on keeping them contracted during the squat.

[quote]Respeezy wrote:
Ok, clear… i have some glute activation problems so i guess i was over obsessing on keeping them contracted during the squat.[/quote]
How do you know you have some glute activation problems?

[quote]LoRez wrote:

[quote]Respeezy wrote:
Ok, clear… i have some glute activation problems so i guess i was over obsessing on keeping them contracted during the squat.[/quote]
How do you know you have some glute activation problems?[/quote]

He hooks EMG devices up to himself everytime, obviously.

Either that or he just isn’t that strong, and I’d always go for the more complicated, ego saving explanation myself.

[quote]Reed wrote:
Don’t think about squeezing the glutes alone. Its glutes, hips, and hamstrings. They will all contract when you “screw the floor”.[/quote]

squeeze the glutes while you screw the floor…

hehehe…

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

[quote]Reed wrote:
Don’t think about squeezing the glutes alone. Its glutes, hips, and hamstrings. They will all contract when you “screw the floor”.[/quote]

squeeze the glutes while you screw the floor…

hehehe…[/quote]

Sounds like a slutty floor

[quote]LoRez wrote:

[quote]Respeezy wrote:
How do you know you have some glute activation problems?[/quote]

Lot of hip flexor problems/pain. Lots of sitting daily. Lower back pain. Cant really contract my glutes without contracting my quads.Technique issues with lifting. Physical therapist told me/ confirmed it.

Glutes are hip extensors and abductors. You can improve glute activation in a squat by trying to spread the floor with your feet.

[quote]aeyogi wrote:
Glutes are hip extensors and abductors. You can improve glute activation in a squat by trying to spread the floor with your feet. [/quote]

Yes, i am currently doing that, thanks.

[quote]Respeezy wrote:
Lot of hip flexor problems/pain. Lots of sitting daily. Lower back pain. Cant really contract my glutes without contracting my quads.Technique issues with lifting. Physical therapist told me/ confirmed it.[/quote]

Then lots of glute bridges and lots of pre-hab things that Bret Contreras talks about.

Have a spotter squeeze your glutes throughout the lift.