Squatzenheimer's Training Log

Ok, I’m creating a training log to give myself a place to (1) keep track of my numbers and (2) hopefully get some input from folks that are into powerlifting. I have not (yet) competed in PL, and I hope that some day I will, but regardless, I like to train in the big three. I’m 35 and just got into lifting a few years ago for the first time in my life. I feel old and weak. haha

Best Lifts
Squat: 405
Bench: 240
Deadlift: 405

I am nowhere near these numbers - well, my deadlift is the same, but my squat and bench are down. I had a baby boy and the gym has been lower on the list of priorities over the past few months. In addition, I’m massively retooling my squat and bench technique. My bench is my worst, and I think it’s because I’ve always tried to bench like a shirted lifter (lowering to upper abs, pulling bar apart for tricep activation = stupid). As for my squat, well, I’m obsessed with squatting. I went from sitting too far back to currently not sitting far enough back…I think I’m about to finally get it dialed in. I retested my maxes recently and was surprised:

Current lifts
Squat: 300 (WTF)
Bench: 225
Deadlift: 405 (thankfully)

Ok, now onto my goals:

GOALS
Squat: 450
Bench: 275
Deadlift: 500

*I’m hoping that if all goes well, I can achieve these numbers in about a year. It may be unrealistic - I’m not sure - but I don’t care. I’ll just keep busting ass in the gym and see where that takes me. I’m running 5/3/1 (mostly BBB except Deadlift - that kind of volume would not feel good deadlifting, and I need to prioritize GMs and Abs on that day).

I’m wondering if a conjugate approach might help me make faster gains, but maybe I just need to be patient.

This past week was my 3’s week. I don’t think I took enough off my training max based on my AMRAP sets…I took off an honest 10% from my squat and dead, but I only took off about 5% from my bench. I may need to lower everything on the next cycle.

Tuesday
Deadlift: 250,290,325 (3; could have gotten more, but I dislike doing more than i need to on deads)
GMs (3 sets of 8): 135, 185, 185
Ab wheel rollouts and hanging leg raises

Thursday
OH Press: 80,90,105(6)
BBB OH press: 70lbs x 10 x 5
Pull ups: 5p,6c,4p
Lat pulldowns: 2 sets of 10; did these because I suck at pull ups and need more volume here

Saturday
Squat: 190,215,245 (3; felt terrible) - need to sit further back. Too much quad dominant crap. I know better.
Ham Killers and this particular squat machine that works my glutes like crazy

Sunday
Bench: 150,170, 195 (4)
BBB Incline Bench: 95lbs x 10 x 5
DB Rows: 70lbs x 3 x 8 (decided to go a little heavier; i usually do high rep rows)

*I seriously have to reconsider my weights…