T Nation

Squatting Without a Spotter

I am sort of new when it comes to training legs. I have been training using the leg press machine and a variety of exercises for my calves for the past few months.

Am I ready to start squatting by myself? If so are there any safety tips you have to offer?

As long as you’re using a rack, you’ll be fine. At worst you fall over and the spotter bars catch the barbell. Spotters aren’t really needed for squats.

Study the “Squat Rx” videos carefully starting from number 1. You can find these video’s on youtube.
When you start squating just use a broom stick until you get your form down and then slowly add on weight.

I think this looks really cool. Will be trying it in a couple weeks.

www.shermworks.com/index.html

you don’t really need a rack if your squatting with good form you should be able to toss it behind you relatively safe. Though of course rack is preferred.

just start light.

I’ve been teaching myself squat for a little hwile now, I started light, then I upped it to 300, and all the imperfectionsin my form came out.

So practice on light weight, increase the weight, and learn from your poor form.

I had to have poor form and move up on the weight before I truly understood how to do it right.

That’s just me tho, there are alot of experts who may tell you something else.

[quote]evansmi wrote:
I think this looks really cool. Will be trying it in a couple weeks.

www.shermworks.com/index.html [/quote]

Looks interesting. Let us know how you get on with it.

A spotter isn’t really needed at your level probably. Use a rack, and if you dont have a rack just make sure you are able to ditch your weight and you should be good.

Although a rack is defiantly preferred because mistakes happen, and if for any reason you trip or pass out from increased blood pressure or anything random happens, you’ll be glad you were in one.

I always squat on my own… in a power rack though and the pins are set up


this is how you bail on a squat, you dont even need to tear your quad to do it.

Like people have already said, start light and get the form down. Make sure to use a rack, with safety catches and you will be fine. As long as you know your limits and working within them you won’t have any problems. Even if you do happen to go beyond them, you have safety catches for a reason. Obviously, it’s always nice to have a spotter, but it really isn’t necessary.

[quote]Scrotus wrote:


this is how you bail on a squat, you dont even need to tear your quad to do it.[/quote]

If I bailed like that at my gym, I’d be diving face-first into a mirror lol

Yes, you’re ready to start squatting by yourself. Hell, babies can squat with perfect form.

[quote]DSmolken wrote:
Yes, you’re ready to start squatting by yourself. Hell, babies can squat with perfect form.[/quote]

My 2 year old goes ATG when he knows he’s in trouble…

I don’t have a spotter and i’m doing the Hungarian Oak workout (check thread on this board).

Only time I ever get a spotter is when i’m going for a max and we don’t have a power rack (its some funky other rack thing) and you have to move back 1 foot after you lift the weight off the bars to actually squat.

Any other time i’m spotterless.

[quote]Oldfart wrote:
DSmolken wrote:

we don’t have a power rack (its some funky other rack thing) and you have to move back 1 foot after you lift the weight off the bars to actually squat.

[/quote]

I believe they call that a “squat rack.”
What crazy thing will they think of next?

[quote]jstines wrote:
Scrotus wrote:


this is how you bail on a squat, you dont even need to tear your quad to do it.

If I bailed like that at my gym, I’d be diving face-first into a mirror lol[/quote]

Turn around for squats.(dont face the mirror)

I think alot of it is just mental, you are really intimidated by the squat, and you’re afraid of the weight.

I’m not saying go gungho, but I remember when I was like 12. I was really afraid of the bench press the first few times, then it’s just some regular shit.

Just do it, and keep doing it, and you’ll find the right way.

It’s been working for me, I just did some of the best squats I’ve ever done this last workout.

[quote]shizen wrote:
you don’t really need a rack if your squatting with good form you should be able to toss it behind you relatively safe. Though of course rack is preferred. [/quote]

That’s retarded. Squatting without either a rack or a spotter is the height of stupidity.

I agree with jsbrook.

[quote]jsbrook wrote:
shizen wrote:
you don’t really need a rack if your squatting with good form you should be able to toss it behind you relatively safe. Though of course rack is preferred.

That’s retarded. Squatting without either a rack or a spotter is the height of stupidity.[/quote]

And yet it is done in Olympic lifting gyms all over the world.