Squatting With a Compression Shirt

Will squatting tear a compression shirt?

WTF is a compression shirt? A bench shirt? And why would you squat in one? And if you were to squat in one, why would it tear?

Do you mean like an UnderArmor shirt?

no it should nt, some are designed to take a lot of strain

I believe another name for what he’s talking about is an erector shirt. Its a type of shirt that was designed to help keep your back straight during deadlifts, but the consensus is that they don’t do shit.
I don’t see why it would tear since your back is staying pretty much static throughout the squat, but if your having problems keeping your arch, I wouldn’t look for a shortcut on that one.

Is that what you are talking about?

If you don’t know the answer to this:

[quote]
WTF is a compression shirt?..[/quote]

…than why would you give him crap about this:

I think he means like an underarmor shirt.

You could, but it’s a pretty bad idea, they’re awfully slick and do nothing to help keep the bar in place.

A heavy cotton shirt would be much better.

[quote]Ghost22 wrote:

You could, but it’s a pretty bad idea, they’re awfully slick and do nothing to help keep the bar in place.

A heavy cotton shirt would be much better. [/quote]

yes, I meant an under armor shirt. I guess people associate under armor to compression clothes, like people associate mp3 players with ipods.

ok, I bought some because next year at my meets you are going to have to be in spandex or a singlet or gear at all times, no normal clothes.

if the bar has center knurling you should be ok, but keep in mind those shirts can be slick and will make it harder to keep the bar in place. better off with cotton

[quote]zephead4747 wrote:
Ghost22 wrote:

yes, I meant an under armor shirt. I guess people associate under armor to compression clothes, like people associate mp3 players with ipods.

ok, I bought some because next year at my meets you are going to have to be in spandex or a singlet or gear at all times, no normal clothes.[/quote]

That’s mad, the WDFPF won’t let you wear any of that type material shirts at any stage in the comp and I believe the IPF’s the same!!

Definitely no compression shirts in the IPF. If you’re going to buy one, buy the Underarmor Cold-Gear. It’s thicker and slightly textured, not thin and spandexy. I actually used one the other day to get a super tight bench shirt on instead of slippers. Worked fine.

Ghost22 wrote:

ok, I bought some because next year at my meets you are going to have to be in spandex or a singlet or gear at all times, no normal clothes.[/quote]

why not just by a singlet, its probably cheaper anyway.

[quote]evansmi wrote:
zephead4747 wrote:
Ghost22 wrote:

ok, I bought some because next year at my meets you are going to have to be in spandex or a singlet or gear at all times, no normal clothes.

why not just by a singlet, its probably cheaper anyway.
[/quote]

because I wear a suit for squat and deadlift already, bench shirts aren’t allowed so it’s either buy a singlet for one event, or buy a shirt I can lift in, and wear under my suit and bench in. I find it funny that compression shirts were ok, but wearing spandex under a suit was illegal because you could “only have on one layer”

I lift in the WHSPA I’m not sure what they are an affiliate of.

The whole compression short thing pisses me off, I rip off half my leg hair (and trust me there’s a lot) everytime I put my suit on without them underneath lol.

The whole compression short thing pisses me off, I rip off half my leg hair (and trust me there’s a lot) everytime I put my suit on without them underneath lol.
[/quote]

Well then I have two words for you, my lad: (1) Gillette (2) Fusion.

Just use suit slippers to get your suit on. Simple fix really!!

[quote]evansmi wrote:

WTF is a compression shirt?..

And why would you squat in one? And if you were to squat in one, why would it tear?

[/quote]

People have been squatting in t-shirts or singlets since forever; why the hell does someone need a special shirt in which to squat? If you’re so worried about your precious shirt ripping, wear a freakin t-shirt.

[quote]johnnytang24 wrote:
evansmi wrote:

WTF is a compression shirt?..

And why would you squat in one? And if you were to squat in one, why would it tear?

People have been squatting in t-shirts or singlets since forever; why the hell does someone need a special shirt in which to squat? If you’re so worried about your precious shirt ripping, wear a freakin t-shirt.[/quote]

shit, I had heard something about them ripping, after I used some bday money to buy one, you can suck a cock.

As people have sorta said, I would be more worried about the bar slipping than the shirt ripping. If I were you, I would find some of the “off-brand” cheap compression shirts that are like $15-20 instead of $30-40 for UA stuff, that way if they do happen to rip, you won’t lose as much money…

[quote]travis8798 wrote:
As people have sorta said, I would be more worried about the bar slipping than the shirt ripping. If I were you, I would find some of the “off-brand” cheap compression shirts that are like $15-20 instead of $30-40 for UA stuff, that way if they do happen to rip, you won’t lose as much money…[/quote]

I spent 25$ on mine.