Squatting Two Times a Day

so do you think squatting two times a day to increase my 1rm will be a good idea for me?
my stats are
max front 115kg
max back 300lbs
snatch 75kg
clean 97.5kg
cleand and jerk 95kg

I think you should squat heavy once a week, 3 sets of 6 reps as hard as possible. And i think you should just focus on building your strength and not focus as much on the oly lifts. If you squat 300 pounds your techinique is meaningless. If i were you I would just focus on getting the squat up, along with total body strength, then later on perfect the lifts.

But then again what the FUUUUUCK do i know

my aim is to be better at olympic lifts. if i dont focus on them how will i get better ?

That question is impossible to answer only knowing a couple of your stats. However, most people don’t think a drug free athlete needs to be squatting twice a day. Whereas someone like Broz would tell you to squat every day (or more), someone like Koing will tell you to only work out at all twice a week (the SYYYYYYSTEM). I, like most people, am somewhere in the middle. But the correct answer depends heavily on your recovery abilities, lifestyle, what you’re doing right now, etc etc etc.

[quote]@JC_Tree_Trunks wrote:
But then again what the FUUUUUCK do i know[/quote]

About getting better at olympic lifting? I’d gather not much.

What have you actually doing to improve your squats? This is very important to recommend what else to do next. How successful were you doing whatever you were doing?

I would recommend squatting first in your programme. You want to do it whilst you are the most fresh.

What I will say is that if you do something, STICK TO IT IN IT’S ENTIRETY for 6-8 weeks. DO NOT SWTICH STUFF UP. If you don’t get gains then move on to a different programme.

Possible examples
Squat to a heavy single then drop down to do 2 doubles everyday
Squat 3x a week hitting 3x3s
Squat 2x a week to a maximum triple, trying to increase 1kg a week or a fortnight
etc
Russian Squat Routine

Koing

The best way to figure out how to get your squat up is to experiment and find what works for you. There’s nothing wrong with squatting everyday (I’ve never tried twice a day though, once a day was hard enough for me), but I think at your level of development it would be superfluous. Someone who squats 300lbs should be able to make nice progress on a more conservative program for a while. Koing’s suggestions are good. I’m of the opinion that you should add more and more squat sessions each week as your progress begins to stall, thus eventually reaching a point where you are squatting everyday.

Hi i find recovering is not an issue for me. last year around this time my one rep max was 225lbs in front squat and I peaked at 255lbs last April. I did not train for 3 weeks. so my one rep max is now 225lbs for 1. I feel i am lot more stronger if i train frequently. but some how my number are not improving, specially in clean. I am stuck at 95kg. i pulled of 97 in a real good day some how. it was kind of a fluke.

and do you think putting on some mass would help?

and guys i have done 165lbs today. even though my strenght is low. i think i am lot faster

Faster=stronger=faster=stronger.

Dont stop doing olympic lifts. They require you to create force very quickly. Creating force quickly is probably the most important basic skill in all of physical prowess. (it is a skill that one must practice)

Absolute speed ---- Absolute strength

They are connected. Its a chain reaction . Improving one will also help the other.

The proof is in the pudding.

[quote]dnd611 wrote:
my aim is to be better at olympic lifts. if i dont focus on them how will i get better ? [/quote]

Well simple. The stronger you are, the more you squat, the easier the weight will be for the snatch and c and j

I am just switching for powerlifting to oly lifting, I havent done a single full oly lift. But I got my squat up to 515 at 165, and now I can power clean 250 super easily. Now thats nohing amazing, I need to learn the form to maximize my strength/power, but you see how your maxes will become child’s play once you get your raw strength up

The fact is, the squat makes both the oly lifts go up far more than the other way around. And right now, with your squat max, assuming you are a male over 150 pounds, you just dont have the raw strength to beat quality lifters. I’m not knocking technique, but no amount of skill will allow you to clean and jerk more than your max squat.

Don’t underestimate how quickly you can get a lot stronger though, if you just put your squat up at 450 over a couple years, then you will be in business!

[quote]dnd611 wrote:
my aim is to be better at olympic lifts. if i dont focus on them how will i get better ? [/quote]

Well simple. The stronger you are, the more you squat, the easier the weight will be for the snatch and c and j

I am just switching for powerlifting to oly lifting, I havent done a single full oly lift. But I got my squat up to 515 at 165, and now I can power clean 250 super easily. Now thats nohing amazing, I need to learn the form to maximize my strength/power, but you see how your maxes will become child’s play once you get your raw strength up

The fact is, the squat makes both the oly lifts go up far more than the other way around. And right now, with your squat max, assuming you are a male over 150 pounds, you just dont have the raw strength to beat quality lifters. I’m not knocking technique, but no amount of skill will allow you to clean and jerk more than your max squat.

Don’t underestimate how quickly you can get a lot stronger though, if you just put your squat up at 450 over a couple years, then you will be in business! [/quote]

Absolutely f0cking correct.

FS 100kg you will struggle to hit 85/100 and you definitely won’t be CJ 125kg anytime soon with a FS of 100kg.

OP do you even FS first? I would adjust your training to FS first then do the OLifts afterwards.

What did you do to get your FS up to 120kg last time around? Maybe do the same thing? Were you heavier?

Gaining weight is going to help you get stronger so yes do it. Not everyone can keep getting strong at the same bodyweight. So get stronger and deal with the weight class cut later on mate. No point training and busting yourself over and over and not getting stronger because you can’t get stronger at a given weight.

I don’t know about you and others but there is no way I (5’10) was going to FS 170kg at 77kg or 85kg…but at 88kg I could single it…at 93kg I would hit 180 and triple 170. At 99 I could triple 181 and hit 191 for a 1RM. Now I’m back down to 94 the most I’ve tripled is 167 and double 175…as you can see I’m probably not going to get much stronger at 94 so i’ll have to gain weight when I get back from my holidays.

Whereas my middle bro could hit 190 @ 77, 5’5 and my other bro has done 155 at 74 at 16. Both are very strong squatters and much stronger than me for relative weights.

Koing

Hi koing i think i have reached my genetic limit. i mean i have tried doing 5s and 3s and single, all programs were consistent. i really dont know what to do. while my snatch has increased from 60kg to 75kg. but my clean hardly increased from 90kg to 97kg in a yr. my bodyweight is 69kg

[quote]dnd611 wrote:
i think i have reached my genetic limit. [/quote]

That is false my friend. Don’t let perceived barriers hinder your progress.

[quote]dnd611 wrote:

Don’t underestimate how quickly you can get a lot stronger though, if you just put your squat up at 450 over a couple years, then you will be in business! [/quote]

What you’re saying is true, yes, but why advise a beginner weightlifter who does not have the motor patterns of the sn/CJ ingrained very strongly to stop doing the lifts? The fact is, he could take his squat from 300 to 400 and, without doing a single sn or CJ, potentially not see a lick of progress on those lifts. At limit weights, increases as small as 5lbs can completely throw off someone’s technique if it’s not well ingrained. Expecting a huge increase could also create a psychological mind fuck. Maybe adding those 100lbs to his squat would give him the strength to get a 15kg PR on the clean, but his mind won’t be right to handle that big of a jump all at once.

My point is, why stop doing the lifts and then expect all of your new squat strength to automatically transfer to them, when you can simply focus on your squat, increase your squat, and then perform the lifts after you squat. Then as your squat increases slow and steadily, so too will your sn/CJ. And don’t say “he might not be able to recover from all that hard squatting if he’s trying to do the lifts too” because, honestly, if a male can’t increase his squat past 300lbs while doing a few snatches and cleans, then he might consider re-evaluating how hard he is working or taking up another hobby because his body is clearly not designed for this one.

No offense to the OP. Focus on getting stronger, but keep doing the lifts.

hi ape, i might not get stronger or not improve my stats. but i will certainly try my best and lift as long as i am alive. i love olympic lifting and this is a big part of my life. i mean i certainly wanna get better at it and give my level best. but i will not give it up

[quote]ape288 wrote:

[quote]dnd611 wrote:

What you’re saying is true, yes, but why advise a beginner weightlifter who does not have the motor patterns of the sn/CJ ingrained very strongly to stop doing the lifts? The fact is, he could take his squat from 300 to 400 and, without doing a single sn or CJ, potentially not see a lick of progress on those lifts. At limit weights, increases as small as 5lbs can completely throw off someone’s technique if it’s not well ingrained. Expecting a huge increase could also create a psychological mind fuck. Maybe adding those 100lbs to his squat would give him the strength to get a 15kg PR on the clean, but his mind won’t be right to handle that big of a jump all at once.

My point is, why stop doing the lifts and then expect all of your new squat strength to automatically transfer to them, when you can simply focus on your squat, increase your squat, and then perform the lifts after you squat. Then as your squat increases slow and steadily, so too will your sn/CJ. And don’t say “he might not be able to recover from all that hard squatting if he’s trying to do the lifts too” because, honestly, if a male can’t increase his squat past 300lbs while doing a few snatches and cleans, then he might consider re-evaluating how hard he is working or taking up another hobby because his body is clearly not designed for this one.

No offense to the OP. Focus on getting stronger, but keep doing the lifts.
[/quote]

You are 100% right. I was trying to just emphasize what I think is obvious, that the number 1 issue above all is just getting flat out stronger. I didnt mean to imply that he should completely stop doing the oly lifts. Just that as you said, strength should be the number one focus for now

OP are you working with a coach or just improving technique on your own?
What is your bodyweight?

Quote Koing: Squat to a heavy single then drop down to do 2 doubles everyday

That’s sort of what we do. Working with a lot of heavy doubles (though not necessarily singles), however, we only squat after Snatch, C&J and Pulls. Still works.

[quote]dnd611 wrote:
Hi koing i think i have reached my genetic limit. i mean i have tried doing 5s and 3s and single, all programs were consistent. i really dont know what to do. while my snatch has increased from 60kg to 75kg. but my clean hardly increased from 90kg to 97kg in a yr. my bodyweight is 69kg[/quote]

If you’ve been trying to increase your squats and it hasn’t moved then it is TIME TO GAIN WEIGHT. I’m just saying not everyone is meant to squat 200kg at 69kg. You may squat 150kg at 75-80kg and you could consider leaning down later if you are near Nationals.

It’s a waste of time if you have tried a few things to increase your squat and you can’t increase it at your numbers right now.

You also have not answered the question yet…DO YOU SQUAT FIRST IN A SESSION? If you squat after lifts this will make a HUGE DIFFERENCE in your training.

Koing

@KOING Ccurrently i am squatting after the lifts