Squatting / Partially Torn Bicep?

Bit of a disaster today. I’m pretty sure I’m after partially tearing my left bicep where it inserts into the elbow on the inside, doing skull crushers of all things. There’s some yellow brusing but I can still flew my bicep and there’s no pain. The spot is a bit tender and it feels as if there’s slightly less tendon going from the elbow to muscle oon my left side compared to the left.

Presumably parital tear yes?

Anyway now, how do I work around it?

I was thinking about running the Smolov squat cycle in a couple of weeks and since I’d be wary of pulling and benching for the next couple of weeks now anyway seems like it might be a good way to work around the injury.

Is all the squatting going to aggrivate (sp) the injury? I’m guessing elbow sleeves might help?

Anyone got any idea on what else I could try and do? Military Presses etc…?

Thanks in advance guys!

In all honesty, just rest completely until that area heals up. You don’t want it to turn into something that requires surgery.

Or, you can just do unilateral movements for the other side.

That sucks man, I would get it looked at first and foremost to find out exactly what is going on. I would think squatting would be fine although I am not sure about any sort of pressing. But yeah, get it looked at for sure.

You might think about squatting with the safety squat bar, seems that would be less stress than a straight bar. I would definitely not deadlift, benching I would go by feel.

Sorry dude, that sucks.

get a weighted vest and do squats or lunges, otherwise use bodyweight. No point in trying to squat with a torn bicep if its going to end up getting stretched in the exercise while holding the bar.

If you have a safety squat bar use it, otherwise I would stay away from the barbell exercise until it heals!!!

[quote]mattwray wrote:
You might think about squatting with the safety squat bar, seems that would be less stress than a straight bar. I would definitely not deadlift, benching I would go by feel.

Sorry dude, that sucks.[/quote]

I agree I just had my right bi tendon a total detachment and used the safety squat bar a TON. Also one arm DL’s, even front squats while in a cast BB grip style, unilateral work, etc and actually to my surprise came out of this 4 months later stronger from it. Not ground breaking stronger but added 10 lbs to my conventional DL (605lbs) and Im pretty sure squat is up as well. I was happy as all hell figuring on losing a good portion of maximal strength.

Get that looked at though you dont want to have to do the surgery and rehab if it can be avoided’

Phill

[quote]mattwray wrote:

Sorry dude, that sucks.[/quote]

Or if you don’t have a SSB, you could use one of the Dave Draper “Top Squat” devices.

-Matt

I reckon it’s not gonna require surgery. I’m getting it looked at this weeek but the brusing even 24 hours later is minimal.

I’ve no access to an SSB. Would a top squat/manta ray work in it’s place??

Anyone got any idea how long these things take to heal? (very open ended, I know)

No because you’ll still have to reach out and hold the bar w/ your hands. Keep icing that bitch, and take 800 milligrams of ibuprofen 3x a day until the pain is gone.

Can you get to a big ass camber bar? I rotate the camber w/ the SSB quite often to protect my biceps tendons. I get tendonitis in my biceps all the time, so you’ll definitley feel it squatting w/ a straight bar when you lock in. How the hell did you pop it doing skulls?

You may have just torn the facia of something. Is your bicep balled up at all, and does it hurt constantly? If not your good to go. Just take it easy and play it by feel.

[quote]Gatorarmz wrote:
How the hell did you pop it doing skulls?

You may have just torn the facia of something. Is your bicep balled up at all, and does it hurt constantly? If not your good to go. Just take it easy and play it by feel. [/quote]

Something’s torn, don’t know what yet tho!!

I’ve got some yellow brusing on the inside of my elbow right at the joint and extending about 3 inches up my arm following the underside of my bicep.

Nothing’s balled up, there’s no pain either. Just a tender spot where there’s something missing! (I think the tendon just tore slightly)

I’m not really TOO worried about it at the moment. I reckon it’ll be ok. My elbows been bothering me where it popped for the last 6 weeks on things like extenstions and benching so hopefully I can go back to the movements without a niggling injury now!!

Is it true Louie’s is totally detatched and he never got it op’d on?

[quote]Hanley wrote:
Gatorarmz wrote:
How the hell did you pop it doing skulls?

You may have just torn the facia of something. Is your bicep balled up at all, and does it hurt constantly? If not your good to go. Just take it easy and play it by feel.

Something’s torn, don’t know what yet tho!!

I’ve got some yellow brusing on the inside of my elbow right at the joint and extending about 3 inches up my arm following the underside of my bicep.

Nothing’s balled up, there’s no pain either. Just a tender spot where there’s something missing! (I think the tendon just tore slightly)

I’m not really TOO worried about it at the moment. I reckon it’ll be ok. My elbows been bothering me where it popped for the last 6 weeks on things like extenstions and benching so hopefully I can go back to the movements without a niggling injury now!!

Is it true Louie’s is totally detatched and he never got it op’d on?
[/quote]

if its partially torn and a tendon your shit out of luck until it pops all the way and then the choice to fix it or let it be at your age id get it done. yes ppl have went on with just one head of the bicep but man if the other goes you SOL and it will effect things like oopening cans and just pulling strenght in general

Phill

Here’s a pic 24 hours after it happened…

[photo]7509[/photo]

You would know if it was a complete tear NO PAIN really at all but the muscle would be pulled up to your shoulder if it was the distal tendon and youd have a nice indention.

Another way to tell if you flex your bi and turn your wrist the bicep will move up and down if total disconnect of the inner head there will be no movement and Major loss of twisting strength

Best of luck Bro

Phill

That’s so frickin weird!!! But as far as Lou goes I know he’s torn alot of shit, but I’m not sure all of what exactly.

I’m glad I stopped doing skull crushers-just weighted dips and narrow grip benches (with a neutral grip bar) for me!

I would definitely invest in a SSB-they are worth their weight in gold! Steal one if you must! I haven’t done straight bar squats in over a year-just SSB squats, front squats with the sting ray and zercher squats. Much easier on the shoulders.

You might want to try making a “poor man’s belt squat” using a dip belt and loading pin. Stand on a couple of cinder blocks so the loading pin won’t touch the floor in the bottom position. I have seen videos of this on youtube and it looks interesting. Haven’t tried it yet myself but I intend to.

Woooooooooahhhhhhh-ho-ho this thread is olllllld.

oh man, i didn’t realize this was old.

sorry about that pm, guess its not much good now haha. What was the problem in the first place?