Squatting: Knees Past Your Toes

[quote]Hanley wrote:
ninearms wrote:
Hanley wrote:
Going below parallel with a relatively close stance, it is simply not possible to squat without your knees going past your toes.

You sir, need to try wearing clown shoes to squat in. Perfect form every time.

Hahahaha I do have small feet.

Even sitting back with a stance just outside shoulder width my knees go past my toes - Squat 200kg x5 - YouTube

Should I quit squatting?[/quote]

Creatine in your socks might solve this problem. Otherwise, yes, definitely stop.

Watch the bottom position, weight is shifting to balls of the feet, need to rock back to your heels more to avoid problems in the front of your hips.

Try wall ankle mobilizations.

Wow lots of haters.

I mentioned more things than just sit back instead of down. If you want to cherry pick my post that’s fine. It would of been more productive to have helped instead of just flaming, but I guess that’s just the way you are. You have 1100 posts, so you must be smarter.

Also his squat is far from perfect. It is extremely quad dominant, his hips barely move back when his knees move the most. What I guess I should of said was push your hips back first to initiate the movement instead of sitting into your knees.

Also there is a point, yes the knees can go past the toes, but they shouldn’t be FAARRR past them so as the hips barely move.

[quote]gi2eg wrote:
Watch the bottom position, weight is shifting to balls of the feet, need to rock back to your heels more to avoid problems in the front of your hips.

Try wall ankle mobilizations.[/quote]

Not to insult you or anything but there’s no need to rock your weight back and forth. The weight should be focused the mid heel to heel.

[quote]Hanley wrote:
ninearms wrote:
Hanley wrote:
Going below parallel with a relatively close stance, it is simply not possible to squat without your knees going past your toes.

Even sitting back with a stance just outside shoulder width my knees go past my toes - Squat 200kg x5 - YouTube

Should I quit squatting?[/quote]

This guy’s movement is good. Watch his hips move back as his knees move only slightly.

[quote]HJLau75 wrote:
Hanley wrote:
ninearms wrote:
Hanley wrote:

Should I quit squatting?

This guy’s movement is good. Watch his hips move back as his knees move only slightly.[/quote]

You do realize that front squats and back squats are different movements right?

[quote]OBoile wrote:
HJLau75 wrote:
Hanley wrote:
ninearms wrote:
Hanley wrote:

Should I quit squatting?

This guy’s movement is good. Watch his hips move back as his knees move only slightly.

You do realize that front squats and back squats are different movements right?[/quote]

Very good point!

Check out the difference in eventual knee position relative to toes - Front Squat - 140kg x6 - YouTube

If you look at the pictures of examples of a front squat in the book “Starting Strength”, the knees are past the toes substantially. Front squats are a quad dominate exercise. His form is good…Perfect?..no…but except able.

Is it just me or does the OP also have very long tibias? I did some informal measurements using paint and a measuring stick. It looks like his tibia is about the same length as his femur but the femur should be longer. This will affect how the squat looks with regards to knee travel.

I don’t think it is possible for you to squat without your toes passing your knees.

His squat form is pretty good. He needs to keep his upper back arched, but everything else looks fine. There’s nothing wrong with a knee-break squat. I do it, look up Ian King’s squatting articles and watch videos of Olympic lifters squat. The whole myth about knees going past the toes and causing injury was started by the fact that someone did a study on the force on the knee joint during squats and found that the olympic squat put much more load on the knee joint that an powerlifting style squat. There was no testing of the injury potential of this (not to mention any good Olympic lifter does it anyway), and it was found that the powerlifting style squat without the knees going forward put much more load on the hip joint. Either way has injury potential, just to different degrees on different joints.

The best front squat form I’ve ever seen is here:

strive for this

[quote]The best front squat form I’ve ever seen is here:

[/quote]

Agree. Beautiful!
This guy is built for squatting. Good leverages and insane strength= great squat!

[quote]HJLau75 wrote:
Also his squat is far from perfect. It is extremely quad dominant, his hips barely move back when his knees move the most. What I guess I should of said was push your hips back first to initiate the movement instead of sitting into your knees.[/quote]

No one argued that his front squat form is perfect, but its far from horrible. It is supposed to be a quad-dominant exercise. Your advice regarding hip movement might apply to a low bar squat, but it does not apply to a front squat which is the point of this thread.

Just because it is SUPPOSE to be a quad dominant exercise doesn’t mean the hips can be neglected. You still push the hips back, not just sit straight down. His hips barely move compared to another video posted by Hanley.

Maybe you guys are onto something that I missed. But I still think he needs more hip involvement.

And how do you push the hips back without dumping the bar? If you can illustrate how the hips can travel backwards whilst the torso remains upright I’ll give you a dollar.

Did you watch Dabaya’s hips?

[quote]HJLau75 wrote:
Just because it is SUPPOSE to be a quad dominant exercise doesn’t mean the hips can be neglected. You still push the hips back, not just sit straight down. His hips barely move compared to another video posted by Hanley.

Maybe you guys are onto something that I missed. But I still think he needs more hip involvement.
[/quote]

Hanley is a PL’er and thats probably more of a habit that carried over from his style of back squat. But when teaching a front squat, especially to a beginner, the less horizontal hip movement, the better.

[quote]HJLau75 wrote:

[/quote]
No. It is a front squat.