Squatting Injury, Advice Appreciated

Hey guys. Just got back from the gym. I was doing back squats, warmed up with just the barx10, 135x5 (felt a slight pain in left buttocks, but went ahead anyway), 225x4, 315x7. Pain was a little more pronounced, but I thought it would go away. 335x4 was the next, but on the way down it felt like there was some tendon on my left side that was pulling on something in my glute. It just kept getting tighter and tighter as I went down, and I had to just set it down on the pins b/c I couldn’t get out of the hole.

I then tried to do some glute bridges, which felt fine. Did some lateral squats (feet together, big step sideways to the left, squat down, bring the left foot back to center) and it fucking hurt. I then tried to do leg press instead, which felt fine. I then started walking back to my log but the pain started to come back as I was walking. Not wanting to risk further injury, I went back to my apartment.

I just took a deload week, where I worked full body for half the volume. I’ve never had this happen before, an that warm up is typical for me. Any suggestions? The pain is pronounced when I do that lateral squat.

*edit: having re-read the Glute Training article, I am now 95% sure I pulled my Piriformis. Anybody have recovery tips, or experienced this before?

[quote]dreads989 wrote:
Hey guys. Just got back from the gym. I was doing back squats, warmed up with just the barx10, 135x5 (felt a slight pain in left buttocks, but went ahead anyway), 225x4, 315x7. Pain was a little more pronounced, but I thought it would go away. 335x4 was the next, but on the way down it felt like there was some tendon on my left side that was pulling on something in my glute. It just kept getting tighter and tighter as I went down, and I had to just set it down on the pins b/c I couldn’t get out of the hole.

I then tried to do some glute bridges, which felt fine. Did some lateral squats (feet together, big step sideways to the left, squat down, bring the left foot back to center) and it fucking hurt. I then tried to do leg press instead, which felt fine. I then started walking back to my log but the pain started to come back as I was walking. Not wanting to risk further injury, I went back to my apartment.

I just took a deload week, where I worked full body for half the volume. I’ve never had this happen before, an that warm up is typical for me. Any suggestions? The pain is pronounced when I do that lateral squat.

*edit: having re-read the Glute Training article, I am now 95% sure I pulled my Piriformis. Anybody have recovery tips, or experienced this before?[/quote]

You may not wanna hear it, but skip your next squat session.

[quote]masonator wrote:
dreads989 wrote:

*edit: having re-read the Glute Training article, I am now 95% sure I pulled my Piriformis. Anybody have recovery tips, or experienced this before?

You may not wanna hear it, but skip your next squat session.
[/quote]

I second that. The best thing you can do for a lower body injury is rest.

Damn…guess I’ll bite the bullet. Thing that kills me is that I JUST took a deload week! Guess I’ll try to get an Athletic Trainer or Physical Therapist from student health to maybe take a look. Thanks guys

I tweaked my left hamstring a month ago during a heavy set of HS single leg curls. Felt a pop sensation and immediately stopped and went home. It got much worse that night, to the point of being unable to stand upright on my left leg.

I had to skip squats and deads for a full two weeks, which damn near drove me crazy. Walking and general daily activity felt fine, but weighted movements hurt like hell.

I iced it for about an hour every day.

After three full weeks I was finally back to full strength :slight_smile:

My injury was much different than yours, but unless you suspect a tear, rest and ice may very well be your best bet.

Best to err on the side of caution than try to grind it out and end up sidelined for several months.

U should skip all excersizes that hurt. You can do them with higher reps: 20+ and far away from faillure.
The only squats I didn’t felt with the injury where frontsquats, just concentrate on them and as soon as you feel anything anymore from the injury slightly build up the weights with your backsquat.
You can also do cleans instead of deadlifts.

What you described to me is your right.
A lateral rotator, sounds like piriformis maybe, without me being right there to assess you.
But “pulling” your piriformis is not exactly how it works! It sounds like your piriformis may be tight, and guess what it ends upon compression is the sciatic nerve. They are very closely associated and please do not say ?I have sciatica?, that?s not completely true either. Sound like a tight lateral rotator to me.
Try actively turning your leg from the hip outward and compare the movement to the unaffected side, then internally rotate your leg from the hip inward and compare it again to the unaffected side. Let me know what happens.