T Nation

Squatting for Strength Not SIZE?

[quote]apwsearch wrote:
kroby wrote:
apwsearch wrote:

And you are giving this kid advice?!?

And I have no valuable information in the past year that I’ve been training with power lifters?

Based on your response?

Looks like you are still learning.[/quote]

kroby? still learning? dude, he’s WAAAAY smarter than you (and me…and apparently Mark Rippetoe)

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1620407&pageNo=0#1623391

i’d like to thank everyone for providing such insightful information. i will think long and hard about which program (of the ones you guys have suggested) i will use; i think i can afford it, i have perhaps two more workouts in me before my squats plateau i think (i’m currently on mark rippetoe’s starting strength program)…

[quote]apwsearch wrote:
kroby wrote:
apwsearch wrote:

And you are giving this kid advice?!?

And I have no valuable information in the past year that I’ve been training with power lifters?

Based on your response?

Looks like you are still learning.[/quote]

So you have something better than the westside template. Good. Why don’t you offer it up to the OP.

[quote]Ramo wrote:
apwsearch wrote:
kroby wrote:
apwsearch wrote:

And you are giving this kid advice?!?

And I have no valuable information in the past year that I’ve been training with power lifters?

Based on your response?

Looks like you are still learning.

kroby? still learning? dude, he’s WAAAAY smarter than you (and me…and apparently Mark Rippetoe)

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1620407&pageNo=0#1623391[/quote]

Spouting off a number of trainers makes you knowledgeable? Fantastic. Another fan boy come to T-Nation. Welcome fan boy. You have a monopoly on the only way to train. Brilliant.

There’s no reason for a noob to not start with ME/DE work. It’s called westside. I can spout off a couple guys names that knows what they’re doing too tough guy. Haven’t you heard of Dave Tate or Louis Simmons?

Do you think they tell noobs that they can’t start right off doing DE/ME? Buzz. Wrong, fan boy.

[quote]FROGGBUSTER wrote:
i’d like to thank everyone for providing such insightful information. i will think long and hard about which program (of the ones you guys have suggested) i will use; i think i can afford it, i have perhaps two more workouts in me before my squats plateau i think (i’m currently on mark rippetoe’s starting strength program)…[/quote]

OP: Rip’s program is the deal. Maybe just play with the parameters and keep the structure intact…at least that’s what I would do.

Kroby: I hope you die in your sleep tonight.

[quote]kroby wrote:
There’s no reason for a noob to not start with ME/DE work. It’s called westside. I can spout off a couple guys names that knows what they’re doing too tough guy. Haven’t you heard of Dave Tate or Louis Simmons?

Do you think they tell noobs that they can’t start right off doing DE/ME? Buzz. Wrong, fan boy.[/quote]

I don’t see why everyone gets worked up over things on these silly threads.

While starting off using westside principles w/ ME and DE days is fine( I started powerlifting this way myself and still do), it really helps a lot if you are training with a group of strong, experienced lifters who know what they are doing.

Also, it’s important to be able to tweak things and adjust based on what works for each individual. BUT, and no offense to the thread starter, a lot of times people who come to internet forums like this and ask questions on what to do, what set/rep scheme to use, etc. don’t have the experience/ support of other lifters they train with to figure things out.

That’s a lot of rambling but people really overcomplicate things and think way too much about the details. You and the dude you are arguing with both have some decent points.

But to the OP, do you want to get stronger cuz you want to compete in PL or some other reason? Anyways,
-Find a powerlifting gym and train there; this will make things much easier. You will get much stronger by doing so, and your idea of what strong is will definitely change.
-How is your technique? I’m a big believer in box squatting.
-Gain lots of muscle by doing a lot of work for your ENTIRE back, legs, abdominals, and hips/glutes
-Ya gotta squat and you gotta train heavy.

[quote]kroby wrote:
apwsearch wrote:
kroby wrote:
apwsearch wrote:

And you are giving this kid advice?!?

And I have no valuable information in the past year that I’ve been training with power lifters?

Based on your response?

Looks like you are still learning.

So you have something better than the westside template. Good. Why don’t you offer it up to the OP.
[/quote]

You know what mother fucker.

Instead of being a WS nut hugger, when you can name one Nationally ranked PL you have trained (IPF), from start to finish run your mouth.

Otherwise, shut your fucking slop hole fat boy. I will snap your bones and suck the marrow.

[quote]Ramo wrote:
Kroby: I hope you die in your sleep tonight. [/quote]

Regardless of what you two are arguing about, is that really necessary? Some of the posts here are so childish…

[quote]greekdawg wrote:
Ramo wrote:
Kroby: I hope you die in your sleep tonight.

Regardless of what you two are arguing about, is that really necessary? Some of the posts here are so childish…[/quote]

No, not necessary. Sorry. I don’t really hope he dies.

But this clown annoys the shit out of me. Plus, he’s trying to be a mouthpiece for WSB? Are you kidding me? Pretty sure nobody who trains there wants this idiot blathering on the internet about what goes on there as though he has any idea.

kroby, give louie a call (his phone number is at the end of his PLUSA articles) and let him know you are givng people on the internet advice in his name.

Do it.

[quote]apwsearch wrote:

You know what mother fucker.

Instead of being a WS nut hugger, when you can name one Nationally ranked PL you have trained (IPF), from start to finish run your mouth.

Otherwise, shut your fucking slop hole fat boy. I will snap your bones and suck the marrow.[/quote]

As soon as I read the first line I knew it was goign to be good. I didn’t know it would be THAT good tho. Best put down in the history of T-Nation?? Quite possibly.

Btw, Ramo, I lol’d!!

[quote]Ramo wrote:
greekdawg wrote:
Ramo wrote:
Kroby: I hope you die in your sleep tonight.

Regardless of what you two are arguing about, is that really necessary? Some of the posts here are so childish…

No, not necessary. Sorry. I don’t really hope he dies.

But this clown annoys the shit out of me. Plus, he’s trying to be a mouthpiece for WSB? Are you kidding me? Pretty sure nobody who trains there wants this idiot blathering on the internet about what goes on there as though he has any idea.

kroby, give louie a call (his phone number is at the end of his PLUSA articles) and let him know you are givng people on the internet advice in his name.

Do it. [/quote]

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Kroby giving out the basics of the westside template. It’s everywhere.

The rippetoe program is good for those starting out. FORM is the most important for you right now. All the bands chains waves accomodating resistance and other advanced programs aren’t going to do shit for you with out good form and a decent body to start with.

What area are you located in?

Find a group of lifters who are interested in the same thing (getting stronger) and train with them. This will far surpass any “program” you can find.