Squatting Difficulties

Howdy all thanks again for all the suggestions and advice.

I am definitely going to try box squats when I get into the gym.

I’ve been squatting several times a day overhead, front, and back. Yesterday Dec 17, I did two sets with 115 x 10 butt to the ground and they felt really good.

While practicing squats for the last week or so I havent done any deads and decided to do them tonight Dec 18th.

I set a new PR for myself with 295 at 160 pound bodyweight, and still felt I had more pounds in me. I think all the squat work may be helping the dead perhaps with flexibility or coordination.

If nothing else the growth in my traps from dling seems to be making the bar sit more comfortably while squatting. At 160 pounds and 6’0 6’1ish I think I am mostly erectors, traps, and hair anyway:)

Aloha,
Edwin

Squats seem to be coming along just did 3 sets tonight

2 x 10 x 95
1 x 20 x 95

had to catch my breath a time or two on the 20 one but it seemed to go well.

When I have the squat rack available come Janauray the initial plan is to drop the reps and go for a handful of sets of 5RM.

Squats seem to keep coming along, I do a few practice sets a day. There seems to definitely be some carryover from squats to deadlift.

I worked up tonight and hit a PR of 300 pounds at 159 bodyweight.

For those of you who can remember once you started squatting with a power-rack or squat rack how quickly did your max increase?

Dec 29, 2005

Got my membership at 24-hour fitness. Set a new PR on deadlift 310 at 162 pounds. Was sitting around the house afterwards and felt compelled to go the gym. Was going to just do a few sets of BP and get out but noticed the squat rack was empty and felt compelled to squat. Probably a poor choice given the deadlift earlier, but …:slight_smile:

So warmed up with
Bar x 10 ATG
100 x 8 ATG
then 3 sets of 3 at 140, well below parallel but not quite ATG.

Legs felt burnt but was way happy to have the squat rack!

Went on to do some BPs and finished up with 3 sets of bodweight dips.

Yay squats!

Jan 2, 2005

Well of course my New Year’s resolution was to squat more.

Monday night warmed up with bar doing ATG for 10.

Bumped to 105 and did 8 ATG.

Bumped to 145 and did 5 ATG.

worked up in increments and hit a new PR of 175 :)! Not ATG but well bellow parallell.

It doesn’t fee like 200 is far away so hopefully by early Febuary:)

My form was good but I was getting some looks so theres a chance that while quiet I was making some ugly squat faces. Then again I was the only one in the squat area so maybe it was just a curiousity factor, ie what is that skinny boy doing over there in the jungle gym (power rack).

Benifits of squats

On New Years eve we took the office out to Makaha West a golf course here in Oahu. On an uphill hole I set a wide stance and focused on spreading the groud with my feet, like I would coming up from a squat. I ended up hitting the ball just shy of 280 yards uphill with my 3-wood:) Made me feel pretty good and want to say- Yay Squats!

Im firmly convinced that squatting is having a positive carryover on my deadlift. Friday 6 Jan I worked up to 185 in the gym not massive by any means but it seems like each time I am hitting a little more.

Today was talking about deadlifting with a guy at work and got motivated to lift tonight, and hit a new PR of 320 pounds at 163 bodyweight. It was a grinder slow lift but no hitching and a solid lockout. So close to 2x bodyweight!

try using a belt. suck up your gut as tight as you can. this will help to keep your lowerback from going out.

As for leaning forward, with the added stability you receive from the belt, concentrate on your form and lowering your butt first, like you are sitting down, and remember to keep your hands as close to your shoulders as possible, as its easier to keep the bar up on the traps.

So today (Jan 14th 06), bodyweight 160 pounds, I did

Bar x 10 ATG
95 x 10 ATG
135 x 5 ATG
155 x 4 Below parallel
175 x 3 Below parallel
and finally 195 x 1 Below Parallel

195 was a new PR by 10 pounds depth was good but it was hard! The weight felt heavy coming up and it went slow and the stars were coming on:)

300 by the end of this year is starting to feel very possible:)