Squatting At Home?

i was wondering how i can get my squats in without a squat rack. all i have is a bench, leg extention, and the things for flys/flies. i was thinking about doing hack squats, would that be my best option?

You could clean the weight and do front squats.

hack squat

Both good suggestions. How about getting some sawhorses to use as safety bars? Getting under the bar at the bottom of the lift might limit higher weights though. Still worth a try!

If your short you can use painters horses as a squat rack. So i hear anyway.

Also there are overhead squats. But lighter loads.

Start watching for equipment on EBAY. I found a Parabody squat rack and a Parabody adjustable bench for $200.00. You cant even buy the bench for that. This equipment was just like new!

However, if you are short on $$$$ and want something quick try this, Get 2 old wheel rims and 2 schedule 40 fence post. Weld the posts to the rims and then weld a piece of angle iron on the top for holding the bar. Bam, you got a squat rack!! If you need more info on above (if I am not clear) PM me and I will attempt to do better. Good luck!

[quote]malonetd wrote:
You could clean the weight and do front squats.[/quote]

Why not clean the weights, semi jerk and do back squats. That’s what I did before I got my squat rack. Only once did I get stuck…which was interesting.

[quote]p-dubb wrote:
i was wondering how i can get my squats in without a squat rack. all i have is a bench, leg extention, and the things for flys/flies. i was thinking about doing hack squats, would that be my best option?[/quote]

do zercher squats. they were invented due to this type of situation, no squat rack. i think that guy that invented them did so in prison, but i would have to double check that story.

[quote]jacross wrote:
malonetd wrote:
Why not clean the weights, semi jerk and do back squats. That’s what I did before I got my squat rack. Only once did I get stuck…which was interesting.[/quote]

Be careful. That is how I tweeked my lower back when I was a teenager and I have had back problems ever since. Hindsight is so great.

thanks for all the advice, i think i’m going to do a lot of diffrent squats that don’t need a rack until i get comfortable with one. also i was wondering, when i do back squats the bar hurts the top part of my spinal cord because mine is either too large for my body or i’m too skinny.

sorry i’m not sure about my bf% but should i just not be a pussy and get over the fact that this kinda hurts? also i am using a regular bar and mixed type weights(the cheap stuff).

[quote]p-dubb wrote:
thanks for all the advice, i think i’m going to do a lot of diffrent squats that don’t need a rack until i get comfortable with one. also i was wondering, when i do back squats the bar hurts the top part of my spinal cord because mine is either too large for my body or i’m too skinny.

sorry i’m not sure about my bf% but should i just not be a pussy and get over the fact that this kinda hurts? also i am using a regular bar and mixed type weights(the cheap stuff).[/quote]

the bar shouldnt be touching that top part of your spine. it should be under it, on your traps. and i think the weight feels weird/hurts almost everybody when they start out. it will start to feel more comfortable after a while. keep workin hard.

[quote]ATLfan wrote:
jacross wrote:
malonetd wrote:
Why not clean the weights, semi jerk and do back squats. That’s what I did before I got my squat rack. Only once did I get stuck…which was interesting.

Be careful. That is how I tweeked my lower back when I was a teenager and I have had back problems ever since. Hindsight is so great.

[/quote]

Yeah I know man, it wasn’t ideal but I wasn’t squatting much back then anyway. Now that I have my trusty squat rack, my back is tip top.

[quote]p-dubb wrote:

sorry i’m not sure about my bf% but should i just not be a pussy and get over the fact that this kinda hurts? also i am using a regular bar and mixed type weights(the cheap stuff).[/quote]

Pat for shipping and I’ll send you a bolt together one I have in the attic. Shipping will cost about 45.00, I think, you’ll need to get ahold of UPS, and find out what they will charge for @ 55 pound shipment from Houston Texas. If you prepay the shipment through UPS and have them pick it up, I’ll box it up and you can have it.

I don’t remember who it’s made by, but it is adjustable and taking up space at my place. Still in good shape, I used it for a month or so then I found a good power rack for 50.00 locally and it’s been collecting dust ever since.

If you want it PM me I’m in Kazakhstan and wont return to the states until the middle of August.

Bullpup