T Nation

Squatting After Broken Leg?

Guys, does anyone have any experience of getting back to heavy squats and deads etc after a broken leg?

4-months ago I suffered a nasty double break to my right leg, playing soccer -the break crushed (i.e the bone has had to re-grow and knit together)a small hole in the fibula and went clean through the tibia. I have the tibia sucessfully pinned and with any luck my next x-ray will give me the go-ahead for full re-hab.

Before the injury I played a fair bit of soccer and weight trained with heavy compound exercises - now I’m going to quit the soccer and concentrate on bodybuilding, however does anyone have any experience of hitting the weights after this type of injury? In theory the leg should be stronger after a break has healed, so I’m hoping once I have a full range of motion back, there shouldnt be too much of a problem?

Cheers, merry christmas

[quote]edvizard wrote:
Guys, does anyone have any experience of getting back to heavy squats and deads etc after a broken leg?

4-months ago I suffered a nasty double break to my right leg, playing soccer -the break crushed (i.e the bone has had to re-grow and knit together)a small hole in the fibula and went clean through the tibia. I have the tibia sucessfully pinned and with any luck my next x-ray will give me the go-ahead for full re-hab.

Before the injury I played a fair bit of soccer and weight trained with heavy compound exercises - now I’m going to quit the soccer and concentrate on bodybuilding, however does anyone have any experience of hitting the weights after this type of injury? In theory the leg should be stronger after a break has healed, so I’m hoping once I have a full range of motion back, there shouldnt be too much of a problem?

Cheers, merry christmas

[/quote]

Tell your doctor that your leg is sore and get sent to physical therapy. Talk to the PT about preparing your body for doing squats. Then, start a rehab program, which will probably include some flexibility work.

I was personally pretty lucky. Slipped and fell just after a nasty amount of freezing rain and came down with all my weight landing on my leg underneath me. Hard to explain but resulted in a complete break of the fibula. I know have a plate, pin and 4 screws in there.

I only went to physio once and some major stretching and all went back to normal for me after some time. There also had to be some slight tendon tears due to all the internal brusing.
I happen to only go to phsysio once, however this is definatley not what i reccomend. Find a good clinic, rehab it will and hopefully it all turns out as good as it was before the break.
See Ya

I seem to recall that the tibia carries something like 80% or more of the load in weight bearing activities. So if the tibia was a clean break it’s a good sign for you. Most bones take around 6 weeks to fully heal. After that it’s a matter of rehabbing the atrophied muscles in your leg.

I would seek out a good PT to get you started, but after that it’s just going to take a little time. Best of luck. I’ve heard milk helps with those squats.

The suggests to get some therapy are good ones but I’d be more keen just to get to the gym and give it a go. Start with bodyweight and gradually add load from there. Keep the load increases sane, say no more than 10% even if it’s easy, just to give your legs time to adapt. Do single leg variations as well.

Of course, if it hurts badly, don’t do it. But you’ll probably be fine if you ease yourself into it.

I broke my left tibia/fibula exactly 2 months ago yesterday. Had an IM nail hammered down my leg. Yesterday, I was compelled to do 100 squats with my 25 lb bar…so not as heavy as I used to do when I was healthy, but the heaviest I’ve lifted in 8 weeks.
After 60, my left glute started vibrating. The vibrating got less violent at 80, and after 100, they stopped!
Then the weirdest thing ever happened…I’ve had a ring of rock hard painful as hell muscle surrounding my break…today my leg is pain free and the muscle is smooth as silk…I cured my leg.
Squats are the answer…weighted squats will cure you.