squats

When run,jump, or walk down stairs are you supporting heavy weights on your back? The fact is it IS bad for your knees whether YOU believe it or not. And I personally go a little past 90 degrees, I no longer squat all the way down and guess what- I have great quads and they’re pretty damn strong too.

i think people here should really try front squats… besides feeling like im bein choked while squating, they provide real good functional strength and helped my quads grow.

I have to do front squats now because I broke my neck and can no longer comfortably rest the bar on my traps. Burnsy, front squats are performed with the same motion as squats except the bar rest accross your upper chest and front delts. (Arms usually folded and grasping the bar.) They are a bit harder than regular squats, so it is harder to go heavy. I also believe that they are a bit harder on the lower back because you tend to stay more erect during the lowering phase of the lift. I agree with earlier comments that they work the quads a lot more than traditional squats which gets a lot of ass involved. I’ve always been a big squater, so i have quite a massive ass as well. As far as the above, at, or below 90 argument is concerned. In my car accident I tore my MCL (only 3 months ago,) I am ack to full leg training and the only way I can complete a set of squats is ass to the grass. Stopping anywhere near 90 degrees will cause my knee to give out. So I’m not a doctor, but that makes me belive 90 degrees it a bit harder on the knees. Later gang…

I’ve been going ass-to-grass for years. The only time I can see someone having a problem is if they have a pre-existing flexibility issue, like a tight lower back or tight hamstrings. If this is the case, work on these issues. It’s often these types of things, rather than fulls squats themselves, that give people trouble.

Front squats are great. Try them. Great for functional strength, not to mention thigh development.

Quick question for anybody who knows more than me. Will ONLY doing front squats and NEVER doing traditional squats negatively effect my development? Thanks.

When run,jump, or walk down stairs are you supporting heavy weights on your back? The fact is it IS bad for your knees whether YOU believe it or not.

hmmm…jogging gives a shock force something like 2-4 times bodyweight, running and jumping is up to 12 times bodyweight.

i can barely squat double bodyweight, which do you think puts the most stress on knees?
a 160kg squat to the ground or a 800kg shock load as i jog down stairs (with my knees even travelling past my toes…gasp)