T Nation

Squats with One Raised Heel

I have an issue with my right ankle that dosent allow me to go to parallel with a barbell squat and I’m sick of using a smith machine for squats because I dont feel it is nowhere near as effective as the free squat.

So I’ve been thinking of trying this, I am basically going to try and stick a 5 or 10 lb plate under each foot, but under my right foot I would only elevate my heel with the plate. I think this would help me increase my ROM and hopefully be able to full squat, what do you guys think.

One of my Motocross guys messed up his right ankle pretty bad and we’ve always squatted that way. At first we had to use a 25# but now we use a 10#. I’d like to get to flat eventually but I don’t see that happening soon.

It’s been a few years and I (we) don’t seem to be having any issues. I was afraid it may eventually lead to a hip issue but it hasn’t at all.

I actually don’t see any reason you can’t just elevate both heels. I know my guy doesn’t like it but you may. It’ll just hit the quads slightly stronger, that’s about it.

Sounds like you’re going to have a loaded bar on your back while you stand on an uneven, unstable surface. There might be some good, and there might be some bad, but at face value, it seems possibly dangerous.

[quote]Kulturkampf wrote:
Sounds like you’re going to have a loaded bar on your back while you stand on an uneven, unstable surface. There might be some good, and there might be some bad, but at face value, it seems possibly dangerous.[/quote]

Squatting without the plates is still “possibly dangerous.”

Does it make it MORE dangerous? Yeah probably

But at least he can do it that way.

I vote for equal elevation under both heels. Over time I would try to reduce it little by little. Maybe some extra ankle/foot stretches in the morning and before bed. Just curious…do you have the same issue with your calve work?

It’s a patchwork solution - I’d elevate both heels but try to address the root cause. Stretching and myofascial release of the ankle and achilles area with a tennis ball may help.

To the 2 above posters I am unable to really do anything to resolve my ankle issue, it’s a long story but trust me. My next lower day is Friday so I’ll try out elevating the right heel only and also elevating both heels. I just wanted to see if anyone else had any experience with this method before I tried it out.

[quote]Brendan Ryan wrote:

Squatting without the plates is still “possibly dangerous.”

Does it make it MORE dangerous? Yeah probably

But at least he can do it that way.
[/quote]

I know, if he can pull it off, more power to him. I’ve just heard horror stories of stuff like that.

[quote]Kulturkampf wrote:
Brendan Ryan wrote:

Squatting without the plates is still “possibly dangerous.”

Does it make it MORE dangerous? Yeah probably

But at least he can do it that way.

I know, if he can pull it off, more power to him. I’ve just heard horror stories of stuff like that.[/quote]

Horror stories from using a 10lb plate under your heel? What’s that about 1" of elevation? Please relay one of the specific horror stories so we can judge for ourselves.

It’s not like he’s standing it up and edge and getting on it.