Squats With A Broken Back?

In 2000 i suffered a spinal compression fracture of T5 in a car accident with a semi truck. Now my spine slightly deviates to the left between T4-6. it isnt realy noticable unless you see an X-Ray. WHen I squat alot, it hurts in my mid upperback.

Front squats seem to be even worse even with less load. Any suggestions? I really need to bring up my legs. I just watched a video from my last Muay Thai fight in Thailand and I looked silly with such skinny legs compared to my shoulders and traps.

deadlifts, lunges, pull-throughs, weighted back extensions, reverse hypers, GHR/natural GHRs, step-ups, bulgarian squats, split squats, overhead squats, hack squats, suitcase deadlifts (side deadlifts), kettlebell swings/work, farmer’s walks, tire flips.

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1023386

Look at the “Pulley Hip-Belt Squat” at the bottom of the article.

[quote]Aragorn wrote:
deadlifts, lunges, pull-throughs, weighted back extensions, reverse hypers, GHR/natural GHRs, step-ups, bulgarian squats, split squats, overhead squats, hack squats, suitcase deadlifts (side deadlifts), kettlebell swings/work, farmer’s walks, tire flips.[/quote]

Deadlifts are worse man. thats alot of spinal compression. What are GHRs? I can do alot of SL Pistons or A2G BW Squats with a 30 lb MB. Should i just increase my SL Squat?

Farmers walks and any heavy upper spine loaders hurt over time .

Call Louie Simmons at Westside Barbell. He broke his back twice and was able to come back both times and compete again. He created the reverse hyper because of it. He may be able to help you figure something out.

Do 1 legged squats, 1 legged deadlifts, split squats, lunges, step ups.

Hi reps squats should be ok. Do a set of 60.

leg press on a sled

[quote]cesliwakan wrote:
Aragorn wrote:
deadlifts, lunges, pull-throughs, weighted back extensions, reverse hypers, GHR/natural GHRs, step-ups, bulgarian squats, split squats, overhead squats, hack squats, suitcase deadlifts (side deadlifts), kettlebell swings/work, farmer’s walks, tire flips.

Deadlifts are worse man. thats alot of spinal compression. What are GHRs? I can do alot of SL Pistons or A2G BW Squats with a 30 lb MB. Should i just increase my SL Squat?

Farmers walks and any heavy upper spine loaders hurt over time . [/quote]

Ok, yeah my bad, I was just writing every ex. I could think of down. GHR=glute ham raise. Without a machine built for it, the “natural” way to do it is to get a barbell, load it with more plates than your body weight, and immobilize it to keep it from rolling/moving away.

Then get on your knees facing away from the bar and hook your ankles underneath it. Lower yourself to the ground while keeping your back and butt in a line. Then raise yourself up the same way. May need a pad for your knees/ankles. Great exercise for the hams.

Avoid excercises that cause spinal compression. There is no sense in aggravating you condition. You can be in good shape with out squats, deads, overhead presses, etc. You’ll have to be creative.

I suggest asking CT in his lockerroom for alternate exercises. It sucks you can’t lift in the traditional way, but that is your reality. Just don’t hurt your back any further, it just ain’t worth it.